MacBook.

MAC SMALLS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

totally forgot that

MacBook 12" 1,3 GHz Intel Core M 8GB 256GB HD5300 or MacBook Air 13,3" 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 256 GB SSD BTO

i just need it for emails, surfing - basic stuff! I want to use photoshop on it (maybe) one day.

like that I have a sd card slot with the air but an adapter on the macbook can handle this also! is retina so important?

The display on the Air is terrible compared to any other >$1000 laptop released in the last 5 years and I'm typing this comment from one. But if that doesn't bother you then it's still the best all-round laptop choice.

Also save some money by getting the i5 instead, the difference doesn't matter.

Edited by ProfMonnitoff

I'm waiting to cop a retina pro. I mean, there are all kinds of crazy deals going on right now but

I'm just waiting for the early 2016 refresh. I feel like right now is literally a terrible time to cop.

They reckon they'll introduce a new MBA in 13" and 15" in 2016. It's well due an update (last model 2013 I think?) and they're going to drop the 11" due to their release of the iPad Pro.

I love my MBA and I think if they use Intel Skylake it'd be powerful enough to run that sweet retina.

Citation needed...

My coworker just bought a new MB Air and it took a massive dump on her this morning, screen completely died. So now she's frantically scrambling to hopefully get an external monitor hooked up to copy over as much data as possible

Smh Apple

Edit: won't even power up now, what a piece of shit

edit2: lmao, now it started up just fine. $900 well spent

Edited by jayrock

Get the AppleCare and backup often but yea not cool at all

I'm not in the market for a MB at all but as someone who uses OS X daily at work I'm very disappointed with the software side of things lately, with each update seemingly causing a new issue. (Some of that could be on adobe's side too, and I like El Cap but it's pretty much gone downhill since the 10.6.8 glory days)

Having said all that still way better than all this Windows 10 bullshit

Edited by jayrock

elcap is easily the best osx version since snow leopard. for a long time it was going downhill steeply, especially mountain lion was a joke, but i feel like now they're back to where they should have been the whole time. even safari isn't a piece of shit for once which is pretty important because chrome seems to be getting worse with every new version. i'm having absolutely no issues on this 5+ year old laptop.

also btw having stuff fail early is the best thing you can have happen (other than not failing at all but this is tech we're talking about here), because in the first few months you pretty much get no questions asked replacements even without applecare.

I'm waiting to cop a retina pro. I mean, there are all kinds of crazy deals going on right now but

I'm just waiting for the early 2016 refresh. I feel like right now is literally a terrible time to cop.

retina pro is $300 off at BB right now, but i would still wait for second gen. There will likely be skylake announcements end of Q1 or sometime in Q2. 

I think its hilarious that you guys are worried about macbook reliability. macbooks are far more reliable and better in built quality than the vast majority of other options out there. 

• 11 months later...

Why is everyone hating on it again? Its super expensive but a lot of people don't use most the ports that were scrapped, and the screen and keyboard are dope. Plus the fact that it's the same weight as a macbook air with a way smaller footprint is awesome.

Why is everyone hating on it again? Its super expensive but a lot of people don't use most the ports that were scrapped, and the screen and keyboard are dope. Plus the fact that it's the same weight as a macbook air with a way smaller footprint is awesome.

Almost everything I use from home and at work needs a USB port.

When i use Serato for my DJ-ing gigs the last thing i want is to have to carry an extra cable to be able to plug everything in.

Its a real deal breaker for me.

Edited by kicks79

out of curiosity what is your basis for this statement?

I guess i'm just speaking in terms of people like me (college students), I know a bunch of people who really only hook their phones up (don't even have to do that anymore) to their computer. If you want to have a discussion about if it's a "pro" computer considering the lack of ports I get that, but just like when they scrapped the cd/dvd drive, for a majority of  people it really didn't matter.

Almost everything I use from home and at work needs a USB port.

When i use Serato for my DJ-ing gigs the last thing i want is to have to carry an extra cable to be able to plug everything in.

Its a real deal breaker for me.

Old USB is the way of the past right? Everything is going to be USB-C in the future... it's definitely a bummer right now but at some point companies are going to have to suck it up and move with the times, apple is just doing it earlier. 

I wish i needed a computer, I would've loved this thing, it's so conveniently small and light. I'm still using the first retina now though which is working great.

I know a bunch of people who really only hook their phones up (don't even have to do that anymore) to their computer.

don't need to? but also because you can't without an adapter

Old USB is the way of the past right? Everything is going to be USB-C in the future... it's definitely a bummer right now but at some point companies are going to have to suck it up and move with the times, apple is just doing it earlier.

so you agree with removing the 3.5mm headphone jack from the iphone? yet somehow it's still on the mbp

I used to only plug my phone in to sync it, now you can just do it over the air... personally, I haven't plugged my phone in in a long time.

I think that it makes sense to remove the 3.5mm if it actually helped them get space for other cool stuff. Again, I wonder what percentage of people use headphones that are different from what apple gives... for the macbook, I could imagine many more people would use third-party headphones and having only lightning or whatever wouldn't make sense.

I think what they should've done was make the iPhone 7's lightning port USB-C, that way the included headphones could work with both the new macbooks and the iphone, and anything else that's usb-c. 

My biggest gripe with apple is the direction they're taking their software... It's getting way more cluttered and doesn't look as good as it used to. Also, I wish they wouldn't have "diversified" their product lines so much, it just looks sloppy and confusing. 

RIP steve

for the macbook, I could imagine many more people would use third-party headphones

again, based on what? the most logical assumption would be that more people are using bt speakers, especially when you look at the sales numbers

i loved os8 so i would say the entirety of osx has been shitty. ios10 still has bugs that have been around since beta...

i liked the 12" rmb though

The reason why I think that is because when you're using your phone you're usually just walking around, for me when I'm walking around I don't need amazing sound, it's just something to keep me from being bored.

When you're chilling at home sometimes you want to JUST listen to some music, which is when you want to bring about the big boys. I love relaxing listening to music in super nice headphones. So it would make more sense to me to leave the 3.5 because every nice headphone manufacturer uses that. Just a thought though

I don't remember being as annoyed with iOS as I am now. One thing in particular is I hate how in texts it has to show the stupid circle with the initials (or a pic) that takes up a shitload of space in your text thread.