MacBook.

MAC SMALLS

You're missing "business accounts". I get 5% off everything from Apple.

Still makes no sense because the cheapest place to buy new apple products is Amazon. There's no tax, no shipping, and they sell everything from $2 to $25 below retail. When i buy through my business account at apple they charge me tax which is twice the discount.

I am 92% sure that business account = higher ed account except that we are sales tax-exempt. I could be wrong, But the point is, apple keeps their prices on lockdown to an absolutely absurd degree...

Posted · Hidden by OTL, January 13, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by OTL, January 13, 2012 - No reason given

damn I go to SAIC too,

however I never found school's MBP offering desirable,

you can get higher CPU version for same or cheaper from Amazon,

I just bought mine off Craigslist after my mbp was stolen from my apt.

paid 1700 for 15" antiglare/2.3 quad/ 256 ssd/ 8gb it's used but it's freaking awesome deal.

so i have to buy a macbook pro for saic... its minimum requirements are the i7 quad core 2.0, 4g ram, 256mb gfx, 15" screen, etc... i can buy it from the school with their "discounted price" ($2200 with tax) or should i buy it thru apple/another site? im just trying to compare prices and deals at this point.

I work in an academic department's IT group. I have our apple sales rep's personal cell phone number. :)

damn I go to SAIC too,

however I never found school's MBP offering desirable,

you can get faster CPU/gpu version for same or cheaper from Amazon,

I just bought mine off Craigslist after my mbp was stolen from my apt.

paid 1700 for 15" antiglare/2.3 quad/ 256 ssd/ 8gb it's used but it's freaking awesome deal.

Edited by OTL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yeah, overwriting lion on SL was a bad idea. actually, i went back to SL. i reformatted the HD to case-sensitive, journaled by mistake. can't run photoshop any more.

i just went out and bought applecare for my MBP today. i haven't had a single problem with it this year but i'll be traveling a lot within the next few months so I went ahead and bought one. I don't know if it was a good move b/c I'm considering buying macbook air + imac next year.

• 4 weeks later...

any hardware updates planned for macbook pro soon? i am wanting to purchase a 15" pro soon (next week possibly) but don't want to be caught out by any major changes hardware-wise if they are only a few months away.

Get a windows DVD, make an ISO from it, use unetbootin or some other tool to load the contents of the ISO to a flash drive, boot your mac from the flash drive.

But stupid question - why spend all the extra dough on apple hardware just to install windows on it? You could save grips just by going to another hardware mfr if all you want to do is run M$...

Personally, I use Mac all day for my job (photo... retouching... etc.) but as it's not optimised at all for gaming, I'd rather switch to Wd to use it properly. Pretty much all the people I know about my age did it on that purpose. Also, alot of mac users began as windows users so it's only natural I guess.

No shit ?!!!

On a serious note, at some point you're better off using it with the mac os than on windows, especially when you pump up the RAM at its fullest. Happens fast when you manage big files.

Get a windows DVD, make an ISO from it, use unetbootin or some other tool to load the contents of the ISO to a flash drive, boot your mac from the flash drive.

But stupid question - why spend all the extra dough on apple hardware just to install windows on it? You could save grips just by going to another hardware mfr if all you want to do is run M$...

i want both, because i prefer os x generally but gaming etc.

i'll try the flash drive option

^ yeah I have those for all my keyboards. Good shit.

Also, heads up: Apple dragging its feet YET AGAIN: http://www.securitynewsdaily.com/1693-apple-patch-mac-flashback.html

Oracle released a patch for java for this problem in January, but since apple doesn't seem to give a rats ass about security, we had about 200 machines infected where I work. <sigh>