MacBook.

MAC SMALLS

i've been using 'steer mouse' to attenuate the stupid mouse acceleration on mac and thought it was doing a pretty good job. spent a bit of time on windows this week and quickly realised it wasn't.

are there any sure fire ways to recreate the mouse acceleration curve from windows on mac? a quick google is confusing me further, many suggesting steer mouse is about as good as it gets.

• 1 month later...

We dropped firefox at work recently as a supported platform due to security issues, and it was a headache for our IT guys. Chrome all the way.

I use firefox at work and at home, I have never been able to get on with Safari and I won't use Chrome just as a personal thing because it makes me feel less 'watched' by Google, although I know that any actual privacy on the internet is a total myth anyway.

To any of you who (like me) are nervous to use chrome due to the google connection, try chromium:

http://www.chromium.org/

Chrome is actually based upon an open source browser called chromium. They're identical except that chromium is updated more often (read: more bug fixes more quickly) and has nothing to do with google. Also doesn't come bundled with a few plugins like java, flash or a PDF viewer inline. All of which can be easily enough corrected.

I use chromium and love it

interesting. i'm giving chrome a shot for the sake of things (as i am firefox, opera), and fuck, it's pretty good. simple, quick. my only gripe (thus far) is the lack of text-only zoom. it's a pretty big factor for me, but i'll persist.

is giving into google something i should be worried about? kinda figure they already know everything there is to know about me, ha. checked out chromium but it all feels a little too developer-oriented - i prefer plug n play.

Edited by home

Posted · Hidden by DJ_Flame, November 24, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by DJ_Flame, November 24, 2011 - No reason given

My external hard drive on my mbp is pretty erratic. Sometimes its detected, sometimes not. Anyway to fix/get around this?

I got a warranty from best buy because it covered my dropping it and shit. I would wait and get it right before the year is up if you bought from apple store.

Does anyone know a way around not being able to watch espn3 on the iPad. I don't have any of the accounts needed to watch it. Is getting something form the appstore that will let me watch my macbook through the iPad / iPhone worth it?

espn3 I believe is flash on their website which means no-go on iOS. :(

You could use something like playon or an equivalent UPnP streaming solution so long as that software supports the ESPN3 website. I believe that iPad can "speak" UPnP...

edit: Looks like there is at least some support for it:

http://itunes.apple....d335036887?mt=8

http://www.ehomeupgr...-functionality/

I use PlayOn to stream MLB games (as well as netflix) from my windows machine (which runs the MLB DRM software) to my linux XBMC box (which can't).

there also appears to be an ESPN3 iOS app but it's cable-provider-dependent: http://itunes.apple....d429009175?mt=8

Edited by blm14

I hate the way safari works on lion, with the two concurrent processes. 'Safari Web Content' likes crashing on me.

I'm thinking of switching to Chrome. Every once in awhile a site will not work correctly on Safari and then perfectly on Chrome and yea I fuck with Webkit's Inspector. I use it daily. I don't like firebug as much just because I used webkit's shit first.

• 3 weeks later...

so i have to buy a macbook pro for saic... its minimum requirements are the i7 quad core 2.0, 4g ram, 256mb gfx, 15" screen, etc... i can buy it from the school with their "discounted price" ($2200 with tax) or should i buy it thru apple/another site? im just trying to compare prices and deals at this point.

I work in an academic department's IT group. I have our apple sales rep's personal cell phone number. :)

Apple does not fuck with pricing. There is the "standard" price for stuff, and then there is the educational price and that is IT. Once in a blue moon they'll do some promotion or other, but generally speaking you won't find any new apple products being sold new by apple for any prices except the most commonly seen ones.

I work in an academic department's IT group. I have our apple sales rep's personal cell phone number. :)

Apple does not fuck with pricing. There is the "standard" price for stuff, and then there is the educational price and that is IT. Once in a blue moon they'll do some promotion or other, but generally speaking you won't find any new apple products being sold new by apple for any prices except the most commonly seen ones.

You're missing "business accounts". I get 5% off everything from Apple.

Still makes no sense because the cheapest place to buy new apple products is Amazon. There's no tax, no shipping, and they sell everything from $2 to $25 below retail. When i buy through my business account at apple they charge me tax which is twice the discount.

Amazon taxes WA.

I can purchase things on base though without tax and I think a very small discount. probably about the same as Amazon.

best deals from Apple themselves would be the refurbished shit I'm thinking.