MacBook.

MAC SMALLS

also aak - if you use torrents I'd use transmission. it's the only application out of the five or so I've tried that will work. the other program I'd recommend is flux which will adjust your display's brightness and "tone" based on your surrounding/time of day. mac screens seem really bright and crisp to me which is nice but at night the sepia look saves your eyes a ton

New mbps with thunderbolt are out. SSD has been an optional upgrade for some time but they're still coming stock with 5400 rpm drives.

While first trying to post this, I got this sweet pop up:

screenshot20110328at716.png

followed by my computer freezing and my drive very loudly clicking. So I'll offer up Smart Utility as a suggested app download. We all should be backing up anyway, but this is an Apple-approved utility to prove that your drive is failing and can typically get a drive covered under warranty prior to the drive being completely dead.

stuck between the i5 and i7 13" MBP. part of me wants to get the i7 just for the sake of it being the higher end model and hoping it will last longer but the other part of me thinks i won't really ever need an i7...

if i get the i5 would it be beneficial to up the memory to 8GBs?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello fellow bookers:

I never post in this thread, but do visit it from time to time, i hate to not add anything, but ask, but such is the way of life.

I just got the 11' Air, which i am pleased as punch with. I dont need it to render video edits or anything, and is just the tool for emails and web that i need. I know its overpriced for what it is, if you take only specs in to account, but i love it.

ANYWAY, to the point.

I am giving my girl my old macbook. Its a 2ghz 2gig of ram jam, from about 3 or 4 years ago... would it be worth my time to install Snow Leopard on it for her? Would it just be too slow to run and be useful? right now its running 10.4, but its a pain in the ass cause all the programs i use are not for that OS anymore... That said, it runs 10.4 ok, i did not notice how slow it was till i got my Air, but she is not doing much hard core stuff on it anyway.

Sorry for the novel boys, just wondering what the SUFU KREW thinks on this, i am tired of reading lame comments from unknowns on other sites...

rep for those who dont flame ;)

AstroWolf, yes, Snow Leopard is worth it. Browser and plug-in support is being dropped left and right for Tiger. Plus, its just an old operating system and obviously hasn't received updates in a very long time. I've installed SL on original macbooks and noticed increased performance; the OS only requires 1 gb of ram, so you'll be just fine with 2. Plus, if she's got a newer iPod or iPhone that requires iTunes 10 (pretty much anything current generation), its not going to work.

• 2 weeks later...

my logitech v470 (bluetooth) mouse is on the way out so just copped a m505 (usb receiver).. hoping for a little less lag and more accuracy.

would have tried a magic mouse but i plainly need a real scroll button for CAD, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thats a desktop, you can't really compare desktop to laptop prices because they use different types of parts.

That's right, I forgot. Laptops use crappier parts and charge a huge premium for them. And then if it's apple then there's an additional 30% surcharge for the fruit logo.

This argument is so 2002. Desktop pcs are fine, although yours is a girl repellant, but a laptop is very convenient if you don't spend all your time in the same place.

Apple computers might be slightly overpriced, but not by 30%. You sound mad about it.

This argument is so 2002. Desktop pcs are fine, although yours is a girl repellant, but a laptop is very convenient if you don't spend all your time in the same place.

Apple computers might be slightly overpriced, but not by 30%. You sound mad about it.

HP Envys with much much better hardware specs than Macbook Pro 15s are 1/2 the price, but I prefer Apple to HP for support.

Mini jack broke off inside my macbook so my motherboard is fucked. Mac ppl told me it would be $500 so I decided to grab this with Linux for $100 less

i had the same problem, they fixed it for me for €70

That's right, I forgot. Laptops use crappier parts and charge a huge premium for them. And then if it's apple then there's an additional 30% surcharge for the fruit logo.

i'm sorry but...why are you in this thread? are you that desperate for attention being stuck to your desktop and lacking any form of actual vis-à-vis human interaction?

edit: thinking of buying the new macbook air once it starts carrying the new OS as standard. i've been using the GEN A macbook air for a few years now. i think it's on its last leg, but damn it's served me well this far. it suffers from the first gen defect of occasional cpu lock, and i noticed it's getting more and more frequent. so, it's probably time to put her out to pasture this summer. tbh though...i kinda like the look of the OG macbook airs as opposed to these new ones.

edit: thinking of buying the new macbook air once it starts carrying the new OS as standard. i've been using the GEN A macbook air for a few years now. i think it's on its last leg, but damn it's served me well this far. it suffers from the first gen defect of occasional cpu lock, and i noticed it's getting more and more frequent. so, it's probably time to put her out to pasture this summer. tbh though...i kinda like the look of the OG macbook airs as opposed to these new ones.

I am anxiously waiting to see the new Macbook Air refresh. I'm in the same boat as you, my MBP is fucked and I'm looking to get an Air to replace it. Just don't want to deal with carrying a 15" and 3-4 textbooks in my backpack anymore.

I just want a 13" w/ Sandy Bridge processor + 4gb ram + 256gb SSD + a backlit keyboard (not necessary but I can still dream!) and I would cop the first day! Who am I kidding, I'll probably cop it the first day regardless. If not, I'll just get a 13" MBP.

HP Envys with much much better hardware specs than Macbook Pro 15s are 1/2 the price, but I prefer Apple to HP for support.

An Envy14 with upgrades to Windows 7 Pro and a 1.93GHz i7 (minutely slower than the base MBP15) looks to be about $1467.99.

Which is cheaper, with a smaller screen, but it sure as hell ain't half price.