MacBook.

MAC SMALLS

17'' is way too big for portability

if youre gonna be stationary and graphic design is your main bag, then it would make sense to get the 17

personally, i wish i went with the 13'' as opposed to the 15'' but at the time (late 08) purchasing the 13'' didnt make any sense

I figure this is the better place to ask this than the video game thread. Any recommendations for games to play on my mac? Unfortunately, my macbook was the version that has video card that can't do 256 bit color, so no Fallout, Diablo 2, etc. era classics. I've played through a bunch of emulation, particularly SNES and N64, beat all of plants vs. zombies, got kinda bored of Minecraft, etc. I'm really looking for more time waster games, to pick up when I have half an hour to kill than something to dive into, in fact I'd prefer to avoid that because I usually play those kind of games till I beat them, and I'm too busy for that. This is reason is I don't install windows, because I'll waste too much time playing video games.

EDIT: Okay, this was stupid of me to ask, though for some reason I've never thought of this before. The best answer for this to go browse piratebay's mac games section. There is pretty much everything you could want there.

• 3 weeks later...
c'mon fam chill wit the run-on sentences, shit.

fuck.

Are you being serious dude I can't tell but is anyone getting the new macbook air if thats what they are called I think they are macbook air but possibly its called mac air I'm not entirely sure and I'm not going to check but I think having a netbook mac is pretty dang sweet as I type this message I'm on my dell 10v with mac os 16.2 yes snow leopard lol and its so sweet I love using a mac but Im a peasant and cant afford a 1000 dollar netbook which is why I think ill stick with my hackintosh netbook and hocus pocus what kind of games do you like the most im not sure off topic bcuz i cant read yoru mind but if you like time killers maybe you can wait for apple to release the app store on macs and then you can download angry biirdz which is most popular iphone/ipod game available today and my girlfriend likes it and shes not a gamer in the least bit but she does like pokemon lol......and pokemon runs well on my mac.

any initial thoughts on 10.7?

does it really signal the end of the windowed interface?

people seem to be pretty torn on a lot of the new features

(i.e. app store) and jobs says he wants it to be "Mac OS X meets the iPad"....

The phrase "OS X meets the iPad" was really frightening to me. I love OS X and i love iOS but from the beginning I've hoped that they would keep the two lines well defined and separate so seeing the app store on OS X doesn't make me too happy. The closed system works well enough on the iphone and ipad so I guess Apple would be silly not to consider moving OS X to a more closed system, but if that does happen I have no doubt that they'd lose me as a customer. Actually I'd probably still buy Macs, but use my Linux boot a lot more.

Overall I'm kinda underwhelmed by Lion. I really think that the jump from 10.4 to 10.5 was huge (redesigned stacks, dock, menu bar. Cover flow in Finder. Time Machine. Front Row) so I've been a bit disappointed with Snow Leopard and am disappointed with what I've seen of Lion. But hell, they really knocked it out of the park with 10.5 and maybe they've reached the point where all they need to do is introduce one cool feature and some interface tweaks every couple of years. I can't really think of a must have feature that they've skipped out on. I'm not sure this signals the end of the windowed interface; I don't think Apple knows either quite yet. That will probably depend on response once the software has been released. Apple has shown a lot of innovation in moving beyond the traditional window and mouse interface and so far I've enjoyed all of these changes so I'm not too worried.

Some quick thoughts on new features. App Store: Thank god. I will almost certainly not use this (Apple's app store policies tend to be too restrictive and I'd rather give my money directly to the developer), but daily at work I see apps that are incorrectly installed - dmgs on the desktop, fucking dmgs dragged to the dock, software horribly out of date, applications that have been put in areas other than the 'Applications' folder- so I can see if helping less savvy users. Easily searchable, automatic download and installation, checks for updates = maybe I won't have to help old ladies install Skype or Firefox. Launchpad: Eh I won't use it. I'm too brainwashed by Quicksilver and I rarely ever use the dock anyway. Full screen apps and Mission Control: Yes, pls. I'm glad the green button has finally been given functionality, and as an easily distracted individual, I like the idea of being completed immersed in an app. I really like how multi-touch gestures were incorporated, and I see myself using mission control a lot in the future.

if you're a good typist, you dont need a backlit keyboard

This is a true story.

I just went from a Macbook Pro 13" to a Macbook Air 13" and i don't miss the backlit keys at all, the battery life on the Air is insanely good.

13 air = sd card slot, better screen ratio + better battery life, oh and 128gb instead of 64gb .

planning on grabbing a 13.. Kiya, is your air a 2gb or 4gb? Im wondering if 2gb will be good to run Lightroom since is the only computer intensive program I run on my laptop currently.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
hey guys just picked up a macbook (a1181) some of the keys seem to be getting stuck, ( a couple of the function keys ) like youll hear the machine dinging until you press escape to stop it. think its just a matter of cleaning the keys?

Not sure if you've figured this out already but... most likely not. It can't hurt though. If the keys are actually stuck in the down position, then sure something could be underneath to cause them to stick. If the key is popping up, but the computer is still registering it then its likely an actual hardware problem (messed up keyboard, messed up flexed cable, etc.) Pop up the keys, clean with a dry cloth, make sure that the plastic hinge underneath is still intact and positioned correctly, then put the key back and see if that fixes it.

• 3 weeks later...

Awhile back I posted about getting a macmini. I never ended up getting one and I'm definitely thinking now that I need a laptop. This would be mainly for Internet, graphic design, hd movie/tv watching, maybe a bit of 3D messing around. I'm on an old PPC G5 that's actually doing great, but I need an Intel machine. Also, portability is becoming more and more important.

My G5 is 2.3GHz / 2GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256MB

It can't fuck with video over 720p, but Adobe is pretty fast I think. Cinema4D operates just fine.

I'm used to be my cinema display so I think 13" is going to be pretty harsh, but I'll hook it up to this screen whenever possible so it's probably not a big deal.

Should I just cop the cheapest Pro? Should I wait until a new jawn comes out?

^^^^ Don't you guys use this? http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Don't Buy - Updates soon *

Notes * The 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro received a new build-to-order option for a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 processor on October 20th, 2010. We do not, however, consider this to be a significant update to the product line and thus do not include it as a data point for our calculations. Consequently, we do consider the MacBook Pro to be near the end of its product cycle based on the most recent major upgrade date of April 2010 and advise users who do not require new machines immediately to hold off on purchasing MacBook Pros.

Awhile back I posted about getting a macmini. I never ended up getting one and I'm definitely thinking now that I need a laptop. This would be mainly for Internet, graphic design, hd movie/tv watching, maybe a bit of 3D messing around. I'm on an old PPC G5 that's actually doing great, but I need an Intel machine. Also, portability is becoming more and more important.

My G5 is 2.3GHz / 2GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256MB

It can't fuck with video over 720p, but Adobe is pretty fast I think. Cinema4D operates just fine.

I'm used to be my cinema display so I think 13" is going to be pretty harsh, but I'll hook it up to this screen whenever possible so it's probably not a big deal.

Should I just cop the cheapest Pro? Should I wait until a new jawn comes out?

buy 15", max out ram, the end. new ones are capable 8 gb, add scratch disc for video via firewire, and bam instant portable video edit.

in other news: I am very close to buying a Macbook Air 11" for über-portability. Anybody have any experiences with using? I'm not doing much these days except staring at notes, creating presentations, browsing email/web, and terminal for ssh/vim/code shit every so often. I think I've opened photoshop 3x in the last 6 months :(

It's interesting, I use to have an ass-old Dell that was seriously like 8+ pounds, and then switched to MBP15" for weight/speed reasons, and here we go again.

I'm definitely going to upgrade RAM to 4GB, but I think with SSD that should be fast enough. I also wanna run Gentoo on it.

heh.

i've tried it multiple time at the store because i'm considering getting one too when i move out abroad (i have a mac mini and an ibm x41 right now, trying to consolidate).

it's really thin and feels sturdy, but the best part about it is the performance, it really is quick. 11" is small but not too small, i like that format.

what bothers me is their proprietary ssd thing, i have a 150gb+ itunes library and i'd rather have that on my internal hdd... i'm also thinking about getting an ibm x200s and just put a huge hdd in it and osx...