Best Television for under 2K

Hello Guys,

I am gunna buy my brother a TV for his wedding. From what I've heard. DLP is the best type to get as far as qaulity and picture is concerned. He has a big house so the flat panel issue doesnt matter. Any one know of good DLP big screens in the 2k and under price range? What features are necessity?

any help is appreciated

thanks!

my parents just got me the pioneer elite 42" plasma for an apartment warming gift. 1999 before tax.

if you're gonna get something on the smaller side, 42 inches or so, go for a plasma at 720p instead of a 1080p lcd. unless you're gonna watch a lot of blue ray or hd dvds or play a lot of 360, you're not gonna use 1080p, only 1080i, and 720p tvs can be tuned to 1080i quality. also, go for a pioneer if you're gonna get a plasma, clearer pic b/c they use a design with 1 sheet of glass, and just about everyone else uses 3, which causes more glare.

awsome gift for your bro, by the way

well i work with tv's and see them every single day. i surprisingly know an extensive amount about HDTV's

First off, don't go to avsforum.com

they know too much and you will never ever get a clear answer, those guys have 76 page threads about contrast/brightness settings for a 40 inch sony xbr.. the people on those forums can be very very confusing

DLP or LCoS/HD-ILA tv's are going to give you a big screen for a little bit of money. They contain a lot of moving parts and require maintenance every four to five years. They are extremely sensitive to voltage fluctuation due to them using an actual lamp. They have a limited viewing angle. They have a high resolution and are great for people who love to play video games. If you want a big screen and don't want to pay a lot of money up front, this is the tv for you. You will end up paying the same as you would for a plasma over time due to extended warranties and/or maintenance (lamp or color wheel replacement) and a power filtration device. If you're looking at these, I'd recommend a mitsubishi and maybe a samsung. sony projection tv's (in the $2000 range) are you going to give you bad color representation/saturation and as much as i'd tried to adjust the settings its always bad whether it be projection tv's or projectors, anything that uses their LCoS technology isn't good (for the money, at least

As the other dude said above, the rise of DLP tv's brought down the price in plasma tv's by a lot. This is good news because plasma tv's have the absolute best picture! With a plasma display, you will get the widest spectrum of color, most accurate and realistic color representation and fastest refresh rate. You can get a good size tv for $2000 if you shop around. A plasma tv is going to consistently give you the clearest and most realistic picture. Since plasma tv's use 2 glass panels for the screen, if it is in a well lit environment, you're going to get some glare coming from it. People think plasmas don't last very long and have burn in issues.. this was true 4-6 years ago, but unless you are shopping for a 4-6 year old tv, you aren't going to run into these problems. They have the widest viewing angle and last as long as a tube tv. If i swayed you into getting a plasma, which believe me, has the best picture point blank, get a pioneer plasma or panasonic plasma.. the picture will always amaze you. Pioneer and panasonic plasmas are worth every penny. stay away from samsung, lg, or new comers like vizio or hewlett-packard.

LCD tv's are your other flat panel option.. they are extremely bright and offer the worst of the three technologies as far as color variance. They are great for someone who is going to use it heavily for videogame/pc connectivity. LCD for watching movies and sports is not so fun, they tend to pixelate and have graininess or have issues with banding (when an image is caught in a grid in lay man's terms). They also have a limited viewing angle but not as bad as DLPs

as far as 1080p.. don't get sucked into the gimmick man. Like i said, i work with these tv's every day.. i've seen a 1080p source on a 1080p tv and on a 720p tv and they look the same. i've connected a sony blu-ray player to a 40" sony xbr (their flagshp model) which is 1080p and then to a 50" panasonic plasma thats 720p.. the plasma looked better. If you are buying a tv that is over 65" and you will be closer than 6 feet from it, this is the only time you will ever notice the difference. Nobody in their right mind watches tv at these proportions. its a marketing gimmick, believe me.

Another thing not to get tricked by is contrast ratio. There isn't an industry standard as to exactly what that term means. TV companies are free to claim whatever they want in this category. This is why tv's like sharp which look good on a sales floor and terrible in someone's home are such good sellers. Sharp says 1080p and 10,000:1 contrast, and refresh rate of 4ms. the 4ms refresh rate is on an interlaced image, the tv does not read interlaced images. It accepts them and downscales them to a progressive one with duplicate frames. That refresh rate just jumped up to 8ms. They are tricks. Samsung lcd's have a contrast of 15,000:1 by the way (haha bullshit).

What I'm about to say last will sound really cliche and stupid but.. I've worked with these tv's for a long time and I will tell you this, resolution doesn't mean shit, contrast ratio doesn't mean shit, and refresh rate doesn't mean shit. If you want the best quality for the price, take your time looking at them carefully and use your own judgement with your own eyes. What you see with your own eyes, and the amount of inputs and features that are useful to you should be the only deciding factors in your purchase, not technical specs that are all marketing gimmicks. Over the course of the last year, I've come to the conclusion that pioneer plasmas are the best tv out on the market today, and panasonic are a cheaper alternative that is slowly getting closer to the quality of a pioneer.

If it was my $2000, i'd get a 42" pioneer or pioneer elite, or 42" panasonic 75u or 9uk series. I do not work for either company, but i do sell tv's.

well i work with tv's and see them every single day. i surprisingly know an extensive amount about HDTV's

First off, don't go to avsforum.com

they know too much and you will never ever get a clear answer, those guys have 76 page threads about contrast/brightness settings for a 40 inch sony xbr.. the people on those forums can be very very confusing

DLP or LCoS/HD-ILA tv's are going to give you a big screen for a little bit of money. They contain a lot of moving parts and require maintenance every four to five years. They are extremely sensitive to voltage fluctuation due to them using an actual lamp. They have a limited viewing angle. They have a high resolution and are great for people who love to play video games. If you want a big screen and don't want to pay a lot of money up front, this is the tv for you. You will end up paying the same as you would for a plasma over time due to extended warranties and/or maintenance (lamp or color wheel replacement) and a power filtration device. If you're looking at these, I'd recommend a mitsubishi and maybe a samsung. sony projection tv's (in the $2000 range) are you going to give you bad color representation/saturation and as much as i'd tried to adjust the settings its always bad whether it be projection tv's or projectors, anything that uses their LCoS technology isn't good (for the money, at least

As the other dude said above, the rise of DLP tv's brought down the price in plasma tv's by a lot. This is good news because plasma tv's have the absolute best picture! With a plasma display, you will get the widest spectrum of color, most accurate and realistic color representation and fastest refresh rate. You can get a good size tv for $2000 if you shop around. A plasma tv is going to consistently give you the clearest and most realistic picture. Since plasma tv's use 2 glass panels for the screen, if it is in a well lit environment, you're going to get some glare coming from it. People think plasmas don't last very long and have burn in issues.. this was true 4-6 years ago, but unless you are shopping for a 4-6 year old tv, you aren't going to run into these problems. They have the widest viewing angle and last as long as a tube tv. If i swayed you into getting a plasma, which believe me, has the best picture point blank, get a pioneer plasma or panasonic plasma.. the picture will always amaze you. Pioneer and panasonic plasmas are worth every penny. stay away from samsung, lg, or new comers like vizio or hewlett-packard.

LCD tv's are your other flat panel option.. they are extremely bright and offer the worst of the three technologies as far as color variance. They are great for someone who is going to use it heavily for videogame/pc connectivity. LCD for watching movies and sports is not so fun, they tend to pixelate and have graininess or have issues with banding (when an image is caught in a grid in lay man's terms). They also have a limited viewing angle but not as bad as DLPs

as far as 1080p.. don't get sucked into the gimmick man. Like i said, i work with these tv's every day.. i've seen a 1080p source on a 1080p tv and on a 720p tv and they look the same. i've connected a sony blu-ray player to a 40" sony xbr (their flagshp model) which is 1080p and then to a 50" panasonic plasma thats 720p.. the plasma looked better. If you are buying a tv that is over 65" and you will be closer than 6 feet from it, this is the only time you will ever notice the difference. Nobody in their right mind watches tv at these proportions. its a marketing gimmick, believe me.

Another thing not to get tricked by is contrast ratio. There isn't an industry standard as to exactly what that term means. TV companies are free to claim whatever they want in this category. This is why tv's like sharp which look good on a sales floor and terrible in someone's home are such good sellers. Sharp says 1080p and 10,000:1 contrast, and refresh rate of 4ms. the 4ms refresh rate is on an interlaced image, the tv does not read interlaced images. It accepts them and downscales them to a progressive one with duplicate frames. That refresh rate just jumped up to 8ms. They are tricks. Samsung lcd's have a contrast of 15,000:1 by the way (haha bullshit).

What I'm about to say last will sound really cliche and stupid but.. I've worked with these tv's for a long time and I will tell you this, resolution doesn't mean shit, contrast ratio doesn't mean shit, and refresh rate doesn't mean shit. If you want the best quality for the price, take your time looking at them carefully and use your own judgement with your own eyes. What you see with your own eyes, and the amount of inputs and features that are useful to you should be the only deciding factors in your purchase, not technical specs that are all marketing gimmicks. Over the course of the last year, I've come to the conclusion that pioneer plasmas are the best tv out on the market today, and panasonic are a cheaper alternative that is slowly getting closer to the quality of a pioneer.

If it was my $2000, i'd get a 42" pioneer or pioneer elite, or 42" panasonic 75u or 9uk series. I do not work for either company, but i do sell tv's.

Thanks for all of this - I've been leaning towards plasmas myself, especially the panasonics but I think I'll look at pioneers now.

if you want a TV and can wait a bit, hold off until November December 2007, 50'' Flat screens will be just under the $1000 range according to the HD Guys podcast dudes.

Also if you want the best make sure it has at least 2 HDMI jacks, 1080i. But if you watch television closer than about 6 to 8 feet go for a lower one like 720 instead of 1080 cuz you wont be able to make the difference.

stay away from samsung, lg, or new comers like vizio or hewlett-packard..

I have a samsung 50 inch Plasma 720i, How come you say to stay away from these ,i'm currently looking into a pioneer television for my other room but dont know if i should do it yet as i am still looking to get a new laptop (was thinking of an mac pro but never owned a mac before). Now after reading your review im looking at the pioneer a little closer.

actually, i have a 40" samsung lcd that i'm quite happy with... i'm also curious as to why you recommend to stay away? also, i believe samsung and sony have a JV to produce the lcd panels? so basically, you're buying the same shit? am i wrong thinking this? (that's what the damn salesman told me...)

stay away from samsung, lg, or new comers like vizio or hewlett-packard..

I have a samsung 50 inch Plasma 720i, How come you say to stay away from these ,i'm currently looking into a pioneer television for my other room but dont know if i should do it yet as i am still looking to get a new laptop (was thinking of an mac pro but never owned a mac before). Now after reading your review im looking at the pioneer a little closer.

+1

Vizio also produces excellent plasma TVs. A recent PCMag article put their quality to be equal to that of the very best competitors, and certainly the best bang for the buck.

actually, i have a 40" samsung lcd that i'm quite happy with... i'm also curious as to why you recommend to stay away? also, i believe samsung and sony have a JV to produce the lcd panels? so basically, you're buying the same shit? am i wrong thinking this? (that's what the damn salesman told me...)

gary, he said stay away from samsung plasma i'm pretty sure..he said samsung DLP/ LCDs were ok

you won't see the difference between 1080p and 1080i or 720p on anything less than around 50". that being said, for smaller sets, get a 720p. the progressive scan will be better for action scenes, even if it's lower resolution than 1080i. toshiba makes the 27hl95 for around $700, and it's one of the few lcd sets that can display 720p at its native resolution (no up- or down-conversion).

samsung bought out one of sony's assembly facilities in the past few years so the lcd's for each company are made the same way.. like dunkin deeznuts said above, samsung lcd's are good but its the samsung plasmas you wanna stay away from.

i like to watch discovery in hd, and when there is a school of fish swimming together on a samsung plasma all i see is squares :( same with vizio and lg. very sluggish processors and poor color accuracy. saying vizio is best bang for the buck is like saying a 1985 toyota corolla for $50 is better bang for the buck than a 2003 bmw m3 for $15,000 in perfect condition. yes it may be a functioning car at a very low price thus making it the best bang for the buck, but at that price i'd take the m3 any day.

This is good news because plasma tv's have the absolute best picture!

Sounds like you buy the hype that you bullshit to customers all day. CRT is way better than plasma in every category. The resolution on a CRT is effectively unlimited.

milspex, crt are a little better than plasma. but are out of the picture in the size scenario this guy is looking for.

sure we can all sit here and wait for SED technology but it isn't going to happen. toshiba got x'ed out of the deal and cannon can't make the tv's themselves so the technology is fucked.