NBA Basketball

hamham3001

In reference to Kobe being clutch, here's a response to the last article and a different perspective on it all. http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/15380/new-podkast-kobe-and-clutch-with-truehoops-henry-abbott

I think that's a valid response, minus this:

The problem is in the framing of the issue. To me, the definition of clutch is the absence of choke. With the game on the line you want a guy who will treat a shot- the rise, the release, the follow through- the same as he would a more "routine" play in the second quarter. Someone who won't rush, or short arm the J, or dribble off his foot, and of course someone who is willing to put himself on the line in the first place. By this standard, Kobe is unquestionably clutch.

that's the worst "standard" for being clutch I can imagine. I play ball with a handful of guys who are always willing to take the shot, usually at the expense of someone else who had a better look. I'm sure we all know that guy: generally immune to passing, but especially when the game is on the line...

What's interesting is that the kind of offensive problems that Abbott and Kamenetzky describe the Lakers having in the final 24 seconds of close games are not hard to diagnose or even necessarily that hard to fix. I mean really, Phil Jackson is a smart dude, I'm sure he'd seen those stats before Abbott brought them up, and I'm sure inside that head of his he's got plenty of plays he could draw up that run through Kobe, but don't rely on him to go iso/get a high screen/etc.

For me it comes down to: he's going to take the last shot, no matter how fucking bad a look he has at it, even when he could pass, even when he could let his coach know he's alright actually running a play that gives the team options. This makes it all the more impressive when it goes in and it reminds the rest of us why we dislike the showboat at the gym who drills the final shot.

His final minutes of the season ended in disaster when he shot 3 air balls at crucial times in the game.[21] He missed the first shot to win the game in the 4th quarter and 2 three-pointers to tie the game in the last minute of overtime. With that the Utah Jazz ended the playoffs for the Lakers in the second round. Shaquille O'Neal commented years later that "[bryant] was the only guy who had the guts at the time to take shots like that."

-RbLBGZwiR4

rookie sophomore game roster

Rookies

G: John Wall / Eric Beldsoe

G: Wesley Johnson / Gary Neal

F: Landry Fields

F: Blake Griffin / Derrick Favors

C: DeMarcus Cousins / Greg Monroe

Sophomores

G: Stephen Curry / Brandon Jennings / Jrue Holiday

G: Tyreke Evans / Wesley Matthews

F: DeMar Derozan

F: Taj Gibson / Dejuan Blair

C: Serge Ibaka

Sophomores are gonna get their asses kicked.

rookie sophomore game roster

Rookies

G: John Wall / Eric Beldsoe

G: Wesley Johnson / Gary Neal

F: Landry Fields

F: Blake Griffin / Derrick Favors

C: DeMarcus Cousins / Greg Monroe

Sophomores

G: Stephen Curry / Brandon Jennings / Jrue Holiday

G: Tyreke Evans / Wesley Matthews

F: DeMar Derozan

F: Taj Gibson / Dejuan Blair

C: Serge Ibaka

Sophomores are gonna get their asses kicked.

Other than Blake.. I like the Sophomores depth more than the rookies.

Sophomores W.

He seems to always have big nights against the Spurs. I've like his game since his days at Texas.

Manu doin' work...

MdUQNYSfkVw

Manu put the gospel on him... whatever that means. lolol

and Knicks lost to Mavs... Upsetting... Gallo has crazy ass dunks and Mozgov is starting to have a role which is always good to see.