NBA Basketball

hamham3001

I think they got too comfortable with their lead but who knows

combination of role players standing around, russ playing hero, and kd being confused by someone a foot shorter.

as a spurs fan, i hope to see a healthy okc team in the wcf.  no one can deny their greatness if they go through okc and mia for ring #5

combination of role players standing around, russ playing hero, and kd being confused by someone a foot shorter.

as a spurs fan, i hope to see a healthy okc team in the wcf.  no one can deny their greatness if they go through okc and mia for ring #5

I think russ is taking too much heat for game 4 (from what i hear people saying). without him that clipper run wouldn't have even been contested. KD had MULTIPLE possessions with absolutely no production on chris paul. now, KD is the man you want with the ball in crunch time, no doubt, but when he's turning the ball over like that and russell has an easy mismatch (as much as i love darren collison, he cannot defend russell), you gotta let russell control for a bit. imagine russell's last shot went in. nobody would really saying anything about his mistakes in game 4. KD's chris paul mismatch would still be something to talk about, but russell was just playing typical westbrook ball (i think he had quite a good game, actually).

he also had the right idea attacking blake with 5 fouls. unfortunately star treatment kept blake in the game (i think he should've been called for the foul on russell's drive with about 4 mins left, but whatever the no-call isn't too egregious).

i really agree that the lack of role player contributions (with outside shooting) really hurt them. overall KD and Russ did what they needed to do. Caron was off, Thabo was off, Reggie didn't get that many outside shots up, Lamb wasn't playing/shooting, etc. bench/role player contributions in game 3 were crucial. when serge gets into early foul trouble, it only makes it that much harder to get those points.

so yeah i agree with you on 2 of those 3 points. i also think scott brooks kinda fucked up the defensive strategy in crunch time. you can never let chris paul get 3 straight layups and build a nice rhythm late in the game. a great coach (e.g., pop) would've made adjustments down the stretch to contain CP3 and force other clipper players to score. he also probably would've employed the hack-a-deandre to be smart.

also rooting for a spurs ship this year. would be awesome to see timmy go out on that note

^ mighta???? russell dominated this entire game. 

CP3 fucked up in the last few mins tho (excluding that jumper over ibaka).

the last 3 mins had the most obvious sequence of make-up-calls i've ever seen in the NBA. ibaka's "foul" on blake = big baby's no call on russell. matt barnes slap. jamal crawford 4-pt play flop. i can't stand doc in situations like this - have no sympathy for him. 

CP3 foul on russell was def a foul and a terrible read on CP3's part. he should know better. why would you even put yourself in that situation? (slowmo vine)

the reggie jackson/matt barnes thing seems to be called appropriately due to inconclusive footage and the rule everyone is mentioning:

"If a player has his hand in contact with the ball and an opponent hits the hand causing the ball to go out-of-bounds, the team whose player had his hand on the ball will retain possession."

there's no angle that shows reggie jackson touching the ball after matt barnes strips it, either way it's reasonable to stick with the call on the floor. i think officials called that to their best abilities. do understand why clips crew mad tho

more importantly imo is that CP3 was probably fouled on that last play. also KD got some good makeup calls down the stretch (to counter some blown calls/uneven officiating). clippers still gave that shit away, played way too loose

CP3 foul on russell was def a foul and a terrible read on CP3's part. he should know better. why would you even put yourself in that situation? (slowmo vine)

the reggie jackson/matt barnes thing seems to be called appropriately due to inconclusive footage and the rule everyone is mentioning:

"If a player has his hand in contact with the ball and an opponent hits the hand causing the ball to go out-of-bounds, the team whose player had his hand on the ball will retain possession."

there's no angle that shows reggie jackson touching the ball after matt barnes strips it, either way it's reasonable to stick with the call on the floor. i think officials called that to their best abilities. do understand why clips crew mad tho

more importantly imo is that CP3 was probably fouled on that last play. also KD got some good makeup calls down the stretch (to counter some blown calls/uneven officiating). clippers still gave that shit away, played way too loose

you're right about sticking to the call on the floor. here is the ref justification for the call 10365803_10152913666649569_3959678873747

and abt the cp3 getting possibly fouled on the steal by westbrook

normally u would think he would hold the ball and not try to move it up the court bc clips would've taken it if he just ran out the clock...however he goes aggressive baiting westbrook into reaching in, then flops to try and get the whistle. that shit works for him the vast majority of the time and he thought he would definitely be able to sell it at that moment. but because he didn't get the tickytack whistle he loses the ball and throws away the game.

here's a shot of cp3 pretty clearly fouling westbrook on the way down during westbrook's 3 attempt

ETsrGhf.jpg

for a lot of ppl it wasn't clear from replay, but u can see here why the shot was so short

edit: also cp3 went with the same move fouling steph curry and actually got away with it in game 3. he didn't get the call this time. i feel like even that doesn't make up for all the times he's closed out games basically daring the ref to blow the whistle and decide the game with a call

Edited by OMEGA JELLY JIGGLE

and abt the cp3 getting possibly fouled on the steal by westbrook

normally u would think he would hold the ball and not try to move it up the court bc clips would've taken it if he just ran out the clock...however he goes aggressive baiting westbrook into reaching in, then flops to try and get the whistle. that shit works for him the vast majority of the time and he thought he would definitely be able to sell it at that moment. but because he didn't get the tickytack whistle he loses the ball and throws away the game.

sorry by "last play" i meant the very last possession - the one where CP3 failed to get a shot off and reggie jackson poked the ball loose. if you watch that reply reggie jackson clearly gets CP3's arm, but to call that would result in 2 FTs with like ~1 second of play remaining. NBA doesn't usually like to call those bail outs (e.g., CP3 foul on Steph).

i think the westbrook strip was clean and CP3 flopped his ass off expecting that tickytack whistle, just as you stated.

in other news: fuck yeah OKC

There's no way u don't put cp3 in that list. He's a dominant player regardless of whatever mistakes he's made in the past couple games. He won game 4 and no doubt changed the clippers into a playoff... now they're a bona fide contender with griffins elevation... they could have beaten okc.

I think one of things that really cost them over the course of the series was that Deandre wasn't as effective against OKC as he was against GS.  He had 4 (out of 6) games against OKC with 0 blocks, he only got to double digit points once (10pts in game 3).  He averaged 15 rebounds a game against GS but only 9.5 rebounds a game against OKC.

player I would put ahead of cp3

lebron

kd

love

harden

curry

griffin

westbrook

aldridge

parker (homer)

good list but for next season john wall needs to be in the top tier and i would drop westbrook, harden, love, aldridge, and parker into the next tier below (will drose ever play another game?).  the rest of those guys are mvp level game changers.  probably throw davis into that group too.  i like cp3, but when he gets old the decline will be quick.  i imagine he'll be a less mobile dwade-esque type of player within the next 3 years.

^good mechanics for a big but i'm not sure he's gonna be blowing by people or overpowering them at the pro level. according to draft express he shot better than 44% from the 3...which is going to increase his odds considering the analytics ppl are taking over front offices everywhere

I mean - for floor spacing he would be great.  You see how the Heat use Bosh now or even a guy like Antic on the Hawks.  If you can pull the rim protector away from the hoop everyone else is going to be getting a lot of good looks.  

maybe a low lottery pick

dude is ultra frail and seems to have a weak base too

he wont be able to great help defense without duncan lite instincts

and anyone is gonna be able to back him down

he seems to have a better motor than the other bust skinny stretch 4's like austin daye, etc

he needs to hit the weight room hard until the draft