NBA Basketball

hamham3001

Guest Methimphibian

allen is smart, IMO it's not a chump move to pursue better opportunities, especially when boston is clearly not going to be a title contender for a few seasons. the money is basically the same, miami will end up paying $10 mill over 3 years, boston offered $12, ray is plenty rich from years of playing, so at this point the 2-3 years he has left in the league the only thing that matters is getting another ring, it's the same thing as Nash going to the lakers, winning is all that matters. ray might be ok on the clips, but he will be best suited for the heat offense.

'Knick pride' kept Camby from Miami

By Ian Begley | ESPNNewYork.com

So why did Marcus Camby pick the Knicks over the Heat?

There were several reasons. Money, of course, was one of them.

But the reason Camby cited in a recent radio interview is sure to get Knicks fans fired up.

"To be honest, I always prided myself on being a Knick. I remember all of those rivalries and heated skirmishes (with the Heat) we had back in the day so I couldn't see myself being a part of that team," Camby said in an interview Tuesday with the internet radio show Hard2Guard.

"Especially coming back here … into the Garden. I didn't want to be a villain. So this is a great situation for me."

Of course, the fact that the Knicks gave Camby a three-year, $13.2 million deal couldn't have hurt either.

But it's interesting that Camby cited his pride in the Knicks as one reason he declined the invite to join LeBron James' party in South Beach.

Miami made a strong push to acquire the 38-year-old veteran. Camby would have given the Heat the interior toughness that the NBA champs lacked at times last year. But Camby instead chose to return to New York.

"I just felt the situation was right," he said. "... Everything comes full circle."

The Knicks officially announced their acquisition of Camby on Wednesday. New York sent guard Toney Douglas, center Jerome Jordan, forward Josh Harrellson and second-round picks in 2014 and 2015 to Houston to get Camby.

Camby told the radio show that GM Glen Grunwald, assistant GM Allan Houston and head coach Mike Woodson put together a "great" presentation to recruit him to New York.

Camby, a 16-year veteran, said he's perfectly comfortable backing up Tyson Chandler and Amare Stoudemire in a reserve role.

"I'm not trying to come here and step on anyone's toes. I've been a starter every year in my career but I don't have a problem coming in here and playing alongside or backing up Tyson or Amare or any of those guys," said Camby, who played in New York from 1998-2001 and was a key part of the Knicks team that made a run to the 1999 NBA Finals.

"... I feel like I'm still capable of doing a lot of things, even despite my age, and being back home and playing in front of the Garden will definitely add a lot of inspiration."

Click here to listen to the full interview (it starts at the 18:50 mark).

COPELAND IN THE MIX: The Knicks are going to give Chris Copeland a shot.

New York signed the former University of Colorado standout to a non-guaranteed contract and gave him an invite to veteran's camp, according to his agent, John Spencer.

Copeland, a 6-8 power forward, will play with the Knicks' summer league team in Las Vegas and will have a shot to make the team during training camp.

The Newark native won the Belgium Ethias League MVP award while averaging 20.1 points per game while shooting 59.6% from the field during EuroChallenge competition last season.

Woodson Says Lin Will Stay, and Start

J4Nat.jpg

NThfl.jpg

Edited by willy cheesesteak

Man, young fellas just are not scared of Kobe Bryant anymore, huh? Well, young No. 1 picks aren't, at least.

First, it was Anthony Davis — barely out of Kentucky, not yet a member of the New Orleans Hornets — saying that the player he was most looking forward to defending in the pros was the Black Mamba because, despite being a 6-foot-11 power forward unlikely to match up with too many off-guards, he wants to be able to say, "I shut Kobe down." Now, at Team USA's pre-2012 Summer Olympics training camp in Las Vegas, reigning Rookie of the Year Kyrie Irving straight up challenges the Los Angeles Lakers star to a game of one-on-one. In front of God, the rest of the team and everybody ... including a camera shooting video for DukeBluePlanet.com.

Privately, you'd imagine this reckless talk from the league's next generation must burn the five-time NBA champion something fierce. Publicly, though, Kobe shows that he finds it absolutely hilarious, and completely tears the Cleveland Cavaliers point guard to shreds with trash talk in one of the truly amazing sequences to come from Team USA's workouts.

"This is not a high school kid coming to you — 'Kobe, Kobe, oh my God!'" Irving says. "This is me, coming to talk to you, one-on-one."

A smiling Bryant then tells Irving that the price of a game is 50 large.

"But I'll cut it to 25 for you," he says. "Just for you."

He then intimates that Irving, whose career earnings after one NBA season trail Kobe's by juuuust a little bit, could get the full $50,000 from his father.

"But I know your dad don't think you can beat me one-on-one," Bryant adds. "I know that. I know that.

"Get your dad on the phone right now. Be like, 'Pops, I'm trying to bet Kob' 50 grand I can beat him one-on-one.' He'll be like, 'Son, are you crazy? Are you crazy?'"

Irving then reminds Bryant that he'd have to defend him, too, resulting in a scrunchfaced dismissal ("So?") before settling on a handshake deal to play the one-on-one game next summer, with the loser donating $50,000 to charity — possibly the Kobe and Vanessa Bryant Family Foundation, which has taken in more than $90,000 from auctions of Kobe's clear protective face mask and a game of H-O-R-S-E with the 14-time All-Star — and the winner hanging onto the even more valuable bragging rights.

But even with the deal sealed, the young point guard still feels frustrated.

"He thinks he's talking to a high school kid!" an incredulous Irving tells the camera.

"You just came out of high school, kid!" Bryant responds.

"I just came out of college!" Irving replies. "You came out of high school!"

"You played two games in college," Bryant answers. "You played two games. You are a high school kid."

Point of order: As Irving reminds Kobe, he actually played a whopping 11 games in his lone season at Duke University. This does not seem to alter Kobe's position one iota.

The continual trash talk — including Bryant predicting that if Irving tried to defend him when the Lakers play the Cavs, coach Byron Scott would immediately call for a Cleveland double-team, and the limitless ether of Kobe entertaining a comparison between Kyrie and Lil' Bow Wow ("Y'all about the same size") — is absolutely delicious, and its succulence only increases on subsequent viewings. If nothing else, the conversation proves that while Irving's game has come a long way in a very short time, he's not yet in Kobe's stratosphere when it comes to spittin' yang.

i just cannot see how the knicks would not match for Lin's offer - they get him, and all his money making abilities for 2 years @ 5 million/year. afterwards, they have a 15 million dollar expiring contract they can always trade away. Guaranteed that someone will take his contract just to increase ticket sales & revenue. the knicks have made some horrible decisions but there is no way they can lose lin for absolutely nothing..

They wouldn't be paying him $14.5M in his final year, though. With the tax hit, they'd be paying more like $30M, and that's in addition to the taxes they'd be paying (likely a repeater tax, too). I like Lin, but I can see why they'd be weary of him coming off surgery and having played solid basketball for just a few months. Of course it's weird that the Knicks would be worried about money given the salaries they'd handed out in the past in the Marbury/Randolph years.

That being said, I don't understand why they'd give Felton that much money.

i just don't see lin ever being as good as he was in that stretch of games again. dunno why, just seemed like one of those sporting miracles. not to mention amare and melo will fuck up everything again.

^^ dayum...

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-q/2012/07/the-jeremy-lin-debate-no-one-wants-to-have.html

Apparently, to Melo, Jeremy Lin is not in the fraternity. Or at least, Lin's place in it is dubious enough that he has not earned the

omerta

that every other player gets. Anybody wanna try to convince me it has zero to do with Lin being Asian-American? Because, and let's cut to the quick, Carmelo Anthony never

ever

would've made that remark about a black NBA player's contract, and I doubt that he ever would've said it about a white player's, either. If Melo thought that Lin was being wildly overpaid but still, fundamentally, belonged in the club, he would've kept his mouth shut. He didn't because he doesn't.

I think Melo gets way too much hate. I hate GQ, that article is based all on speculation, rumors from other articles and more speculation.

Dont forget:

Melo asked Dantoni to play Lin, Dantoni denied it but Lin and Chandler said it was true several times.

Lin got the Knicks back into the playoffs after Dantoni basically threw the season away

Melo + Lin duo 6-1 before Lin's ACL went out

Melo went nuts after Lin went down and beasted to keep the Knicks in the playoffs

Melo carried the Knicks after Lin, Shumpert, Davis went down, Chandler had the flu, Amare busted his hand in the playoffs.

he is definately a beast, i would never argue that, i think if lebron wasn't in the league he'd get a lot more coverage as hes kinda a lebron without the defensive side. oh..and assists lol.

Edited by jaac