Jazz / Blues

airfrogusmc

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES, I needed this thread. I don't know shit about blues but I like it. What is good old and new blues? Point me in the right directions people. I'll start with buddy. Any particular albums?

Well lets see maybe start with the basics

Buddy Guy-----Damn Right I Got The Blues

Willie Dixon------ I Am The Blues

Howlin' Wolf(Chester Burnett)-------The Real Folks Blues

Muddy Waters-----Hard Again

Elmore James

Albert King------Born Under a Bad Sign

Albert Collins

Go back to the beginning

Robert Johnson

Skip James

Son House

Thats a start...

Lightning Hopkins

Leadbelly

Elmore James

Muddy Waters

Keb' Mo'

Otis Spann

Professor Longhair

Robert Johnson

and if u wanna hear something different, try downloading some of the blues songs Jimi Hendrix did. Another recommendation is The Seatbelts. Their this Japanese band that did the cowboy be-bop soundtrack. . . "Digging My Potato" and "Forever Broke" are my two favorite tracks by them.

lightnin' hopkins

sonny boy williamson

blind lemon jefferson

son house

odetta

clarence "gatemouth" brown

r.l. burnside

howlin' wolf

leadbelly

king of the delta blues - robert johnson

muddy waters

b.b. king

blind willie johnson

big bill bronzy

charlie patton

blind willie mctell

memphis slim

willie dixon

jimmy reed (just like jimmy reed again...)

freddie king

albert king

otis redding

otis rush

i can't think of any others, my itunes isn't open. i'm huge on the blues, its most of what i play, in one form or another. since i'm white, i gotta play it off like jack white does (which he does amazingly..) but its just blue-eyed soul for me, so i combine it with everything else i play. my advice would be to ge the book "history of the blues", its really informative, slow read, but its a good one.

blues is probably one of the most important forms of music. simple, yes, but probably the most evocative in my opinion. its just a very pure channeling of emotion into simple phrasing, repetition, and a sort of unpredictable sense of where the music is going to go, within the parameters of the form. blues is sorta the genesis of popular music from the hey-day on. rock and roll acts sought to mainstream it and deliver it in a much more boiled down form, and there isn't much "traditional" blues left too speak of, but most guitar based mediums since are progeny of blues, albeit hybrids.

i love the blues. made a thread about it here before but nodody responded to it. :(

some of my favorite artists are john lee hooker, blind lemmon jefferson, albert king, muddy waters son house t bone walker, blind willie mctell.

i also do like a bit of srv and and another blues another artist i recently discovered is robert cray. saw him open for clapton in a concert and he was great. im looking to purhcase some of his music. john mayall is okay too.

back in the day, fleetwood mac took a lot of acid. peter green went crazy from this if i remember...

anyways, if we're talking about the new school, including british blues and american white guy blues then:

-mike bloomfield

-jeff beck

-jimmy page

-clapton

-robbie robertson (canadian, oh well)

-pete townsend (better than you all will give him credit for)

-alvin lee

-jeremy spencer (who played alongside peter green in the original fleetwood mac)

-johnny winter

-taj mahal

-ry cooder

there are plenty of others, including the ever amazing jimi hendrix

yeah, i can't tear him down on what a good player he is, but there is really no substance behind it if you ask me. theres nothing dark to him, theres no other dimension - he's just really good. it just seems very one-sided, he is an amazing guitarist, but theres nothing else too it than that. about a month or more ago, rolling stone did a guitar gods issue, living of course, and the cover was john frusciante, john mayer, and derek trucks. all amazing players, but only frusciante stood out. there was a video online at their website of the three jamming, and frusciante seemed to be the only one that wasn't trying to impress with massive licks or impeccable phrasing. he just played from a spot where he was comfortable, where he felt it, and where he knew he could come from. he wasn't trying to impress anyone like john mayer is. another thing that bothered me about that issue was how they left Josh Homme out! he's a living guitar god for sure, no one plays like him, and no one can touch his style with a ten foot pole

btw, i can't hate on john mayer's blues chops. did you see his set at the crossroads guitar festival? really good shit.

milspecs isn't gonna like this one bit... haha

his performance on austin city limits (on pbs if your not familiar) was pretty good as well imo. Double trouble and Buddy Guy shared the stage with him. I agree that in a way that he is just a really good guitar player and isn't particulary exceptional playing the blues, but I enjoy watching him do it nonetheless.

also, I'd be curious to hear reccomendations for live albums?

Somebody mentioned R.L. Burnside, so that made me think of some of cool albums issued by Fat Possum Records. A small recommendation:

Asie Payton

Robert Belfour

King Ernest

Junior Kimbrough

The Black Keys

A pretty good introduction to the blues is the soundtrack to the Martin Scorsese Blues series. It pretty much covers a lot of the music that is considered blues. But by no means is this a definitive collection. There's too much music.

Imo, Otis Rush is an underrated blues musician.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

i agree that pete townsend has very underrated blues chops. he did a live performance at the grammy's i think, a while back and it was phenomenal. just him with an accoustic.

milspecs isn't gonna like this one bit... haha

i don't give a flying fuck about what milspex thinks.

yeah, i can't tear him down on what a good player he is, but there is really no substance behind it if you ask me. theres nothing dark to him, theres no other dimension - he's just really good. it just seems very one-sided, he is an amazing guitarist, but theres nothing else too it than that.

he's a great songwriter and great musician. i think hating on him is the "in" thing--don't think he really deserves it.

---------

duane allman is also great, let's not forget about him.

-------------

speaking of guitar gods, i was at sam ash the other day with coleslaw and in walked joe satriani. he walked around the store and bounced.

------------

blues is present in other forms... dr. john plays some mean blues--new orleans style. and of course, professor longhair.

i agree that pete townsend has very underrated blues chops. he did a live performance at the grammy's i think, a while back and it was phenomenal. just him with an accoustic.

he's a great songwriter and great musician. i think hating on him is the "in" thing--don't think he really deserves it.

---------

-------------

speaking of guitar gods, i was at sam ash the other day with coleslaw and in walked joe satriani. he walked around the store and bounced.

------------

blues is present in other forms... dr. john plays some mean blues--new orleans style. and of course, professor longhair.

Duanne Allman for sure. He's on a very early Boz Scaggs recond and theres a killer version of Loan me a Dime where it really showcases Duannes bluesmanship. 12 + minutes of great blues guitar. Oh and lets not forget the late great Eddie Hazel and the very bluesy Maggot Brain.....

You know, the funny thing is that he looks exactly like how he does on stage. With the glasses, hat and gleaming bald head. Poor guy, ever since he lost all his hair, he tries real hard to have a look. Still an amazing musician. I recommend his latest album, Super Colossal, for all you guitar nerds out there.

Best blues album ever: Blues, Jimi Hendrix.

Hendrix was great but Buddy Guy Damn Right is hard to beat or Willie Dixons I am the Blues or Howlin' Wolfs The Real Folks Blues and Muddys Hard Again.. I'd say its good but better? Vodoo Chile of Electric Lady Land all 15 minutes is about as good as it gets but if you like that really give the title cut Maggot Brain a listen check Hazel...

Sorry man, wasn't directed at you, but rather prefacing what I had to say. I don't care either; I was just kidding.

---------

-------------

------------

Sorry man, wasn't directed at you, but rather prefacing what I had to say. I don't care either; I was just kidding.

LNG, i was joking, too, man. you should know that by now :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FnGqs4pcHA

Buddy's for real and he's the best.

man, buddy was scaring the shit out of white folk in that video.

i wanna play the blues so good it scares the shit out of white people.

Well lets see maybe start with the basics

Buddy Guy-----Damn Right I Got The Blues

Willie Dixon------ I Am The Blues

Howlin' Wolf(Chester Burnett)-------The Real Folks Blues

Muddy Waters-----Hard Again

Elmore James

Albert King------Born Under a Bad Sign

Albert Collins

Go back to the beginning

Robert Johnson

Skip James

Son House

Thats a start...

That's what I'm talking about... someone here's definitely in the know...

Especially the Howlin Wolf... Hubert Sumlin is my favorite guitarist of all time...

man, listened to robert johnson's complete recordings.

i don't know how he could have played all that guitar by himself. sounds impossible to me. plus, he was singing. how can you play an alternating blues line and play all those embellishments at the same time?

incredible isn't it? dude must have had three or four brains! robert johnson ruined rock for me for a while. why do you need a bassist, rhythm guitarist, lead guitarist, drummer and singer when one man can do it all himself? seriously. the way he beats the guitar rhythmically, plays chords and lead simultaneously, and sing all around the beat, and talk, too, he must have sold his soul to the devil. unreal.

also, mention should be made of avant blues or whatever to include:

fahey

basho

loren mazzacane connors

jack rose

charalambides