the supertalk look...what is it?

haptronic

Then there are a couple of outliers:

gothninja (chris, fuuma and some more)

thrift guy (cheap and some more, the guys who commonly are called cheaps little brothers)

elitist street (milspex, termiteeze, 78 and such)

there are some cross fertilization from the outliers to the main group aswell.

what have I forgotten?

I certainly think that another group of outliers would be what has already been named "supertrads".

Bill is one of the ones who fits this title (if I may say so), or atleast what I see as the look that suits this title. The ones that don't wander far out of superdenim and can be found hanging out in the 'shoes that look better with age' thread.

A more workwear or vintage inspired look, with heavy, high quality boots or old cons, not necessarily tight but well fitting jeans, (western) shirts, leather jackets etc.

agreed, even bad fits show you what doesn't work. It's like a big giant lab experiment, hope y'all are taking notes.

completely agree here... im definately a fashion novice, lurked for a while and decided to start posting, but most of my wardrobe is still pre-sufu or whatever, just trying to work with what ive got.

its too early for me to tell the influences on my personal style but im excited to look back in a year or so and see whats changed

Personally, I model my outfits in a similar fashion to Hap, as in I take a little (or a lot) from certain posters, and work it together into something that I feel I would wear.

Either way, almost everyone has their own way of being inspirational.

agreed, even bad fits show you what doesn't work. It's like a big giant lab experiment, hope y'all are taking notes.

sufu look: dialectical fashion paradigm synthesis machine yo

what a great thread.

CottonDuck....i was going to say the exact same thing....so many people on this board fit that profile....serge, superBob, Bill and cheap a bit too.

I love this place, I love the variety...there is far more then most people realize. We have a lot of different stuff going on here and it trully is remarkable.

its pretty interesting to see looks evolve and on here its totally visable with like micro trends appearing or people infuleenced on wearing certain items,guess its just a microscope look at how trends develop in real life except they flow faster here due tpo the nature of the poster,I guess i fall into elitest street although group sounds a bit snobby lol

you wear generally the pieces that tick the boxes in the thread to be accepted by the group menatality of what looks good.

...i like to think of that as the supertalk cloak of invisibility....if you buy the items everyone has you can disappear in the background..totally under the radar...without much praise or risk of attacks...

...i like to think of that as the supertalk cloak of invisibility....if you buy the items everyone has you can disappear in the background..totally under the radar...without much praise or risk of attacks...

hmmm, this is making me consider a lot of things.....

to be honest, i feel like a dress differently then a lot of people on here [or atleast i did]...but maybe thats just me. haahah, its interesting to learn how other people perceive you esp when it comes to thigns such as style.

I have been trying to break away from a lot of superfuture norms....but maybe i am just breaking away from my own personal norms...maybe thats why I cant see the difference.

id say you define the sufu look, in a totally non offence way,you wear generally the pieces that tick the boxes in the thread to be accepted by the group menatality of what looks good.

To add to that--it definitely helps that he 'ticks the boxes' from various genres; enough so that he's more vague in any one particular look, but still fulfilling a sufu fit.

Man, this thread is like a breath of fresh air! Thank you Haptronic for this delightful topic, and to all of Superfuture for keeping this thread moving with heaps of insightful and pleasurable comments.

As for Kixslf: I have been watching your style evolve since you've been posting. I have to admit, in the way beginning I was very jealous of your sneaker collection and wanted all the shoes you had! But I have to agree, you've always defined the SuFu fit in my eyes. However, you always seem to pick out the nicest details and I feel you execute them with exacting precision.

The SuFu fit, alongside the forum itself has definitely evolved over the past few years, and as its been getting more popular, especially within the past few months, trends have been coming in an out on a regular basis. I applaud all that pick out the most pleasing trends while still keeping true to their own personal tastes.

-Man, this feels like a post that would have occurred some time ago, thanks again. Keep up the discussion!

I don't think there are enough females fits to warrant a definitive fem sufu fit. There's been a recent wave of girls on here all of a sudden buying up the raw, so maybe there'll be more posted? Probably not heh.

Have to admit though, I really appreciate the return of tg and her waywt range. She wears sams and sneaks one day, and a cute dress and boots another, and a three piece suit she made another, etc... Wedding/deb gown! :o

I love how beatle wears her jeans. Those denim shorts she posted? Like f*&^%! That's a how-to.

i think more girls should post on sufu, that way there would be more diversity and it would bring a different perspective to the forum. o yea and guys wouldnt beast over just any picture with a girl in it and rep like crazy.

i was trying to convince my friend to join she said she might when she gets a new camera.

I don't think there are enough females fits to warrant a definitive fem sufu fit. There's been a recent wave of girls on here all of a sudden buying up the raw, so maybe there'll be more posted? Probably not heh.

Have to admit though, I really appreciate the return of tg and her waywt range. She wears sams and sneaks one day, and a cute dress and boots another, and a three piece suit she made another, etc... Wedding/deb gown! :o

I love how beatle wears her jeans. Those denim shorts she posted? Like f*&^%! That's a how-to.

I consider TG and Beatles and Bizzy/Canice the three prevalent extremes of the Female Sufu Fit, personally, or at least, what I would like to see as the extremes. Much like there are those who "Follow" looks like Seenmy / 78, or Haptronic, and so on, I think TG / Beatles / Bizzy are so far our best representation of what a female SuFu fit could be, and I personally would like to see more female posters go to either extreme.

TG the scary-goth-ninja mixed with other influences versus the Beatles vintage minimalism-japanese-denim-addict sort of thing, Bizzy and Canice the female "street" sort of thing, Bizzy more expiremental Canice more "street."

edit: no offense for not including you Seraphim, but I haven't seen enough of your WAYWTs to know your dress sense! I don't really read the original thread anymore, and I've only seen one in the WAYWT Chat

edit: no offense for not including you Seraphim, but I haven't seen enough of your WAYWTs to know your dress sense! I don't really read the original thread anymore, and I've only seen one in the WAYWT Chat

believe me, my clothes/fits don't measure up to any of the girls you just mentioned. not by half. I asked because I'm curious, not because I'm looking for ego stroking :D

I don't really agree with the idea of treating the male and female styles at ST as independent. I see a lot of similarities between the styles of the regular female posters and those of the male posters.... the females here don't generally post outfits that are extremely feminine or couldn't be translated in some way (some more directly than others) to an outfit worn by a male STer.... conversely, many of the male fits could be worn or adapted to a look worn by a female...

I really gotta start posting on WAYWT. I feel like it would force me to break out of my box. My style is so boring:

Boots/Chucks

Slim Raw Jeans

T-shirt

V-neck sweater

and in the winter a Hare peacoat.

I would love to start "biting" other sufu'ers styles.

I think the most interesting part of the Style Evolution, was when, in my opinion that an interest in quality and ideals of the past led to a sort of reverse post-modernism, in that people responded to the over-the-top clothing by reverting to past ideas of minimalism and 'quality.' This formed a "basis" for examining modern designs that mix the practicality and more-or-less unbranded nature of the past with a modern sense of aesthetics. It was at this point that Superfuture splintered: individual modern posters used the past ideals and went off every which way: skinny japanese jeans and (some) cut more loosely, the Dior Homme silhouette versus Raf Simons, Cassette Playa on the same page as Supreme, and often integrated seamlessly.

Just a theory.

you just wasted time looking way to far into the posters of a fashion message board.

lucky quoting and complaining is quicker than contributing poly800rock...or else you would appear foolish...

further on the topic...if i may take b i z z y's cue and discount the idea that the female fit is different enough to warrant separate discussion...

then i would like to consider this image...

rooftop3.jpg

i find this image interesting...as four of the people in it are high profile waywt posters...well known and liked...yet it is far easier to see the differences in what they are wearing than the similarities...yet when i think of how people dress in waywt any one of Crillz rirawin darkanimal or sphoxx may come to mind...

I don't really agree with the idea of treating the male and female styles at ST as independent. I see a lot of similarities between the styles of the regular female posters and those of the male posters.... the females here don't generally post outfits that are extremely feminine or couldn't be translated in some way (some more directly than others) to an outfit worn by a male STer.... conversely, many of the male fits could be worn or adapted to a look worn by a female...

It's easier to list the females who've posted a fit, than to define a sufu fem look. The current sufu (pre-DH+AA+vans) look is generally a neuter one, and has no gender lines. Maybe this will change. On that note, I'm waiting for a guy here to show up in a dress or skirt. Failing that, how about some thigh highs a la T. Browne? You can even wear the short shorts.

Some thoughts from a silent observer

From being more of a lurker than poster in this forum, I have noticed how the SuFu style is influenced more strongly by the quality of the item (hence the expensive denim, W+H hoodies and leather boots) rather than on design alone.

Another thing is that the suburban American look seems to pop up quite often (Vans, plaids, jeans). I have nothing against it (in fact I am somewhat inspired by it).It just strikes me that no matter how well-dressed we want to look as individuals, we will ultimately be influenced by our locality. While there may be styles that we are keen to experiment with, the problem with particular brands not available, or the social setting of where we live may affect the SuFu style of our members. New Yorkers may be more likely to be seen in Supremes, while we see djrajio in his Julius. I notice a lot of interest by SuFu members towards the Japanese style of dressing and Japanese labels, but this is not as apparent in the WAYWT pages. I guess this boils down to circumstance, as Japanese clothes may not be easily obtainable aside from some cities (I don't know, I am not American).

I enjoy it when people dress in the manner acceptable to Superfuture-ians, ie with the ideal fit and make, and yet still manage to incorporate their identity into them. I mean rirawin, cheep, bill, and ayn may each be wearing a pair of dior 19cms (just an example, i don't know what jeans they have in common), but they way they 'rock' their outfits will be vastly disparate.

But I enjoy it even more when some of you's trespass the realm of Superfuture acceptability and still look smashing.

ps: my opinion isn't out to get at anyone. :D

sorry for being a mere observer and not an active participant; where I work

fashion is punishable by death

pps:and kudos to the singaporean sufu's who have been adding diversity to the WAYWTs and for their take on the SuFu style in MoFo humid weather