the supertalk look...what is it?

haptronic

there has been a number of mentions lately on supertalk about a sufu fit in a wider sense than the buying of jeans sized down...with the implication that there is a certain style of dress here that is different from the population at large..

i am left with questions that could bring some discussion...

• is there a sufu fit/supertalk look
  • what is it that makes up this look
  • where did the look originate
  • where is the look going

In order: Yes, there is. Like any group of induvidual statistics, an average or mean can be derived. What makes up this look usually consists of classic items (hooded sweatshirt, sweaters, button-up shirts, tee-shirts, jeans, sneakers or dress shoes), with (usually), a more avant-garde flair, and modern proportions. Jeans are worn what most would consider undersized, with a larger top, for balance, or perhaps skinny through and through. Though some people wear their clothes on the looser side, I would certainly not consider them to be the majority. I don't think this look had a certain point of origin that one may pinpoint, rather it's a collective evolution of style, trying to find the balance between being comfortable and considering yourself to look good.

And where is this look going? Well, I really can't answer that. The future's uncertain, you know.

I think the most interesting part of the Style Evolution, was when, in my opinion that an interest in quality and ideals of the past led to a sort of reverse post-modernism, in that people responded to the over-the-top clothing by reverting to past ideas of minimalism and 'quality.' This formed a "basis" for examining modern designs that mix the practicality and more-or-less unbranded nature of the past with a modern sense of aesthetics. It was at this point that Superfuture splintered: individual modern posters used the past ideals and went off every which way: skinny japanese jeans and (some) cut more loosely, the Dior Homme silhouette versus Raf Simons, Cassette Playa on the same page as Supreme, and often integrated seamlessly.

Just a theory.

I see two extremes. The avant-garde, a la Chris, and the loose-fitting streetwear - par exemple Milspex and termitezee. Everyone else fits somewhere inbetween because the extremes dictates the boundary of what is accepted on Sufu.

But then again, I just got here. What the hell do I know?

Edit: Oh wait... forgot about the whole plain hoodie/raw denim thing.

It's hard to pin point an exact outfit but everyone has their own style on this forum, it is really great, and I prefer the diversity that is offered here.

these are looks that i feel like i see over and over...and as a result i see these as the general 'boundaries' of superfuture, with almost everyone who posts their pictures falling somewhere in between...insert 'raw denim of japanese origin' where appropriate

1/ "streetwear" (tshirts with logo or pattern, raw denim not worn tight, some sort of nike or vans sneaker or something along those lines)

2/ totally average looking '00s young person (hoodie+tshirt+slimfitting raw denim+(usually) slim profile shoes) who happens to be wearing $500 in "high street" clothing (or $50 of h+m)

3/ everything fitting skinny; black/white/grey dominant colors

4/ people wearing hilariously expensive garments and either looking totally mundane or like they walked off a runway (neither of these is a bad thing)

Can't really say, I'm a big confused mishmash. On one hand my jeans have gotten darker and tighter post-Sufu and my tops have gotten plainer with the notable exception of band tees, on the other hand I've been buying Nike, Vans and Supra kicks alongside dress shoes and vintage shit.

i think i've toned down my look a lot since i've joined sf, but that might just have more to do with this nth wave minimalism happening right now, generally, and me starting to make more money so i don't have to shop exclusively at thrift stores anymore.

i think everyone goes really really minimal for a while then gets bored of whatever version of minimalism is around at the moment (donna karan 8 easy pieces in the 80s, helmut lang/prada utilitarianism in the late 90s) and then moves over to excessive ornamentation (marni a couple years back) and (perhaps) maximalism (gucci, conspicuous streetwear, mid-period as four, or what have you) and then swings back over again once people are sick of that. although, i guess now, even with this new minimalism going on (resurgence of interest in helmut lang, jil sander, etc.) there's simultaneously that cassette playa/henrik vibskov, so i dunno. at least that's what it seems like to me, i'm no fashion anthropologist.

I don't know whether this deserves it's own thread but I demand we post pics of fits that're entirely inspired by and/or where only possible because of superfuture. Post one piece... or whole outfits, make this a thank-you superfuture thread!

Examples:

Post that shoe that you got because carl/darkanimal told you to buy it.

Post that T-g shirt.

Post that whole look you were before afraid to admit you "bit" off of somebody... and thank superfuture for it ^_^

This is gonna sound horrible... but I think you can track Superfuture trends by looking at kixslf's photos. No hate intended pal.

When I first started reading the boards, it was all about APC's, Dunks, and a gaudy hoodie. This is when Witts was at his hayday. Fast forward a few months and Nudies became 'the new APC' giving birth to Samurai's, which were slowly gaining popularity along with Vans, mainly thanks to (in my opinion) the Marc Jacobs line that opened up alot of sneakerheads' povs. Shemaghs came in style for a bit, as did sweaters, and now we're living in the age of the black cardi/white tee/tapered jean.

Sugarcanes, surprisingly, have stayed relatively popular throughout. I would say that they're the only article of clothing that made the jump from 2005-2007.

I'm surprised that Acne never had a big following, seeing as its basically a budget Dior Homme jean.

You can also track a few key evolutions by the rise in popularity of certain members - Hap for skinny jeans, Cheap for white tees, Chris for the cardigan... etc.

i think for awhile there it was apcs and white slip-ons. probably got it from tragic bliss's post wash apc pics. I remember when I first saw that shit...I was like "I got to get some of those"

definatly a certain look. you almost never see anyone with dunks on these days, when back in the day when i first started lurking they more apparant.

seems like the dior/vans/w+h combo was pretty big this winter. I think that dude moy has a pretty typical superfuture fit. (no offense or anything, dude). Usually some diors worn semi-tight, some vans and some sort of plain top.

another thing that seems to be going around these days are those charm necklaces or whatever from alex+chloe or h&m or whereever. It seems those are really catching on.

it is kinda strange to see how groupthink/sufu fit evolves. I'm as guilty of it as anyone else, really. You see something you like, so you jump on it.

i'm calling desert boots to be part of the next wave. I've seen a couple fresh pairs popping up here and there.

but then theres always the people who do they're own thing and look either awesome or ridiculous.

enough of a ramble.

later, dudes.

that black AA cardigan

that white/ash deep V-neck tee

some sort of slim dry jean with stacking

white Vans, either Sk8-Hi, Chukka, Era, Authentics, or chucks of some sort.

this is pretty much what I consider the standard sufu look (+ plain/supreme hoodies possibly) Then there are a couple of outliers:

gothninja (chris, fuuma and some more)

thrift guy (cheap and some more, the guys who commonly are called cheaps little brothers)

elitist street (milspex, termiteeze, 78 and such)

there are some cross fertilization from the outliers to the main group aswell.

what have I forgotten?

i know im not a WAYWT post-er [i'd love to once i get a digicam sorted out along with my fear of public humiliation] but i'll try to answer the question...

in my personal and limited opinion, i think sufu-ers are very denim focused [duh] ie. dior, arguably one of couture's most prestigious labels, with simple white cheap, $12 tees. theres nothing WRONG with cheap things but i just find the contrast rather weird. its like buying a 1970's toyota corolla with an aston martin body kit. im not sure if thats clear enough, but hopefully some of you guys will understand...

a lot of sufu-ers put emphasis on QUALITY denim. but heres a question i hope you guys think about HONESTLY. would you guys still be wearing your DH/imperial/sugar cane/samurai jeans in 3 - 5 years time? i have a mate whos bought his giordano jeans at 16 and today, at the age of 33, is still wearing them. can we justify the price tag?

also, one thing that sufu-ers certainly are against is being GENERIC. bape, bbc, apart from the fact that they have hideous designs [iMO], could be considered the "common" streetwear brands. sufu-ers most definitely take pride in their exclusivity. in terms of ELITISM, i'd have to agree with a resounding yes. it seems the harder it is to find the stuff that people post up, the more people like it. supreme vs stussy?

unless of course, its considered "hypebeast-ey". and really, whats wrong with that? people have a right to wear what they want [ie. WAYWT, adidas 35th superstar tee shirt, LL bean shorts] and i guess constructive criticism is fine.

what i DO find a weird example of social dynamics is how superfuture seems to be, instead of a fashion help/GUIDE [and remember the definition of GUIDE] forum, it seems to be determining [largely in part to its members attitudes] how people who view it should dress.

which is really interesting considering i dont think anyone has ever met more than 10 fellow sufu-ers in person. so why should they care about what someone they've never met and probably never will meet thinks? most of them have gotten along just fine where they are without listening to sufu-ers for the overwhelming majority of their lives. why start now?

and now im just off topic.

back on topic. i think the sufu fit is whatever you make out of it. its a collective of different people coming together to show what they want. which is a beautiful thing. you have the tight fitters [chris, homme.homme] and then you have the street/skate wearers [termite, milspex, swooc] and then again you have the kinda cowboyish look [hap] and then you have the blatantly ambiguous ones [insidertrading] who rocks DH suits one day and premium "street" labels the next.

and i think i'm done.

my interest in the existance in the fit grew out of a discussion i had with a dear friend...

from my own experience with posting and watching the waywt from almost the very beggining...i notice in my own wardrobe choices the influence of the forum...but somewhat along the lines of what verb had to say i attribute this to being inspired to try stuff by individuals from the forum in the same way as one would by people you meet in real life...

i started to pin roll my slightly oversized jeans becasue i liked the way it looked on Milspex...started wearing lace-ups with bare ankles because i like the way b i z z y does it...popped the tongues on my sk8 hi after kixslf and later 1995chardx...the list goes on of thing i have picked up from posters...which i have adapted...

i find it interesting to note other regular posters have wardrode changes with involvement in the wider internet community...take cheep as case in point...his early waywt efforts were a mix of thrftstore finds informed by his fine knowledge of vintage denim...then you can note his becoming more active on styleforum with the cordovans and vintage/classic menswear and an increasing awareness of construction techniques and traditions...there was a dalaince with authenticforum which seemed to effect his photography more than wardrobe... lately there has been an abundance of polo and nike just before he admits to posting on hypebeast...

the human need to adapt to our communities would seem to be alive and well even in the simualted world of the fashion message board...

having said that...i do still wonder if when we define the style either with definate descriptions or lists of popular brands...that we also miss the diversity of the posters...both by taste and by geographical location....there are similarities in the way mike lowery, rirawin and seenmy all dress that may have as much to do with the fact that they are all based in europe as the influence of supertalk...where as a lot of the posters sporting the paint by numbers SuFu look described so perfectly by dismalfuture would seem to be a mostly US based... and this started to become more prevalent after the SE party which brought about wider social intereraction by members...and therefore cross pollunation of styles...

i still am myself unsure as to whether the look is as unique to this board as is credited...or that we are watching or microcosm of the world of men's fashion...

i for one notice the differences in the way people wear stuff even when they are wearing exactly the same outfit..much more than ever noticing that they are wearing the same thing...

and as there was in the beggining there is still Milspex and Witts to consider...

i am curious as to what it would look like

if we took the time to go through wywtd history of

shirts-jackets-jeans-shoes

take the most popular of each catagory

and put it all together to see what it would actually look like

also very curious as to what jeans digital denim is wearing in that picture they are amazing

w+h + aa + 19cm + mjv

this pretty much sums it up. we pretty much all look the same as we all get the same brand. if someone does it right once, you see everyone else getting that brand (myself included).

you got trail blazers like hap who wear manages to stay a good distance away from the sufu fits and add sufu twists (which may be his own twists but end up being sufu twists) like pin rolling. most of us though get those pbjs and diors, get sizing advice from people who already have them, and thus end up looking like every1 else on this board.

sufu style is pretty much the only good style i know. coming from LA, land of seven jeans and juicy couture, its impossible to find someone who dresses well (in my opinion). being a guy who needs stimulus to create my own ideas, i resort to the sufu inspired fit.

personally since coming to sufu, ive begun to deconstruct my style and building it from bottom up. I pay really particular attention to the silohuette, despite wearing very plain items (ie: diors, tee, chucks). as I develop, I will start adding twists such as matching various fabric textures, etc.

I don't know whether this deserves it's own thread but I demand we post pics of fits that're entirely inspired by and/or where only possible because of superfuture. Post one piece... or whole outfits, make this a thank-you superfuture thread!

Examples:

Post that shoe that you got because carl/darkanimal told you to buy it.

Post that Tg shirt.

Post that whole look you were before afraid to admit you "bit" off of somebody... and thank superfuture for it ^_^

also very curious as to what jeans digital denim is wearing in that picture they are amazing

they be these

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=320365&postcount=107

wonder if there will ever be enough female posters to have a sufu fem look

really tg

those are some of the most innovative jeans ive ever seen

i was staring at that pic and just wondering how he managed to get them to stack taht way

and christ on a whale i never would have thought that a curve like that could be so beautiful

imho i think the sufu fit is

either A. w/h hoodie. AA(basic)+APC+vans low for the more recent springish fits

but last fall/winter it seemed to be more B. Peacoat + V neck sweater + apc + wingtips

its making a surge to the top, indeed.

Neat thread, lots of interesting opinions. We definitely have subgroups of styles, that I feel branch off of some of the more "extreme" posters.

Personally, I model my outfits in a similar fashion to Hap, as in I take a little (or a lot) from certain posters, and work it together into something that I feel I would wear.

Either way, almost everyone has their own way of being inspirational.