clothing trauma

Guest jmatsu

Guest jmatsu

i just witnessed some ugliness on the board (i've witnessed alot, but this one got me thinking...).

and it is because of this that i have lost the desire to wear jv converse.

this is kind of like "the connotations of brands" thread of the past but...

do other people often give up on or start to resent certain once beloved article(s) of clothing because of random undesirables owning and wearing them? does this stop you from actually purchasing that specific shit?

it's like when you wear a supra skytop, and some stranger at a party comments "aren't those the sneakers on cobrasnake?/kid millionaire has those!"

i geniunely like those new marc jacobs slipons, but i refuse to get them because that one fag from good charolette ruined it for me. or maybe it's like how japanese bboys are trying to be the new generation of paneristi.

i know this sound pretty ridiculous...i guess it's just a mental hang up or my vanity or something. ignorance is often bliss.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had these black skinny jeans that i bought at urban outfitters cuz they were cheap and then i saw this guy that is friends with my brother that i hate, a lot and he had the same pants except im a waist 29, hes a 34 and we are the same height and yea you get it, i got home and i stopped wearing them out. i only wear them to school cuz they are uniform approved.

i had these black skinny jeans that i bought at urban outfitters cuz they were cheap and then i saw this guy that is friends with my brother that i hate, a lot and he had the same pants except im a waist 29, hes a 34 and we are the same height and yea you get it, i got home and i stopped wearing them out. i only wear them to school cuz they are uniform approved.

hahhaa oh grammar. sounds like you hate your bro.

i guess it's just a mental hang up or my vanity or something.

im betting on something along those lines. if some thing/brand/item etc you once loved was sort of "underground" so to speak and then it blew up and every dickhead this side of the mississippi has/wears... whatever it may be, and as a result you just get bored/turned of by it thats one thing. chuck taylors are classic sneakers that go with almost anything, but if i never see another pair itll be too damn soon, because every other know-nothing, annoying fuck in my school, mall, city... has a pair. von dutch is another good example, von dutch, the name of the actual pin-striper and artist, was a badass who liked motorcycles and hot rods and who im sure didnt buy his denim with the holes already in it, its his daughters, if im correct, that are responsible for the tackyass eye sore of a clothing line and the complete degredation of the once respectable name.

but on the other hand, if theres something you truely like, and then you stop wearing it just because some dickhead you cant stand starts sporting it, then thats more like a lack of self-confidence, as opposed to being genuinly turned off by it. if the biggest, most obnoxious bro in school all of a sudden started wearing some samurais i wouldnt just stop wearing mine even though i still like them, id rest assured knowing that guys a fucking tool and doesnt know shit about anything, so why let something he does change what i do? once that happens, youre basically letting some turd tell you what to do, and why would you ever do that?

California ruins everything.

I've decided I'm going to start leaning more towards skinhead than anything else specifically because everything else has been raped into submission by boring Los Angeles trust-fund assholes.

very agree

LA over the bay for me.

Long term living would be a different matter, but being in LA I just get over the dressing well thing and keep it simple and comfortable and there's no problems.

And if you don't let what other people are wearing affect you, no big deal.

I do understand this is a minority opinion, especially on the board, and that I've never had a long term stay, so my opinion could possibly change.

dino might!: good post, you make some good and interesting points.

but if youre so weak-willed to give up on something because you see someone you dont like wearing it then why wear clothes at all? i guess its all trivial because in an opposite perspective people imitate each other left and right on this forum. imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. look at the waywt thread; a lot of people are admiring and imitating each other. so much so that theres a chat edition just to add commentary on ones outfit for the day! oh well though, i mean everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

^^^^

in my opinion it's different though, as sufu'ers are people genuinely interested in fashion and I believe their buying clothes goes deeper than buying it just because it's 'hyped', as in buying because of good cuts, quality fabrics, interesting prints, etc. I would be bothered too, if I saw the token mallrat who only wore juicy and knockoff LV's wearing ande whalls with uggs, or something. does this make any sense?

slightly.

i don't think i'm ready to give up clothing after watching nudist camp videos.

although one's opinion and mind is influenced by sufu, i think everyone has their own flare when it comes to dressing for themselves and such.

although for the hyped enthusiasts (as in fanclub material), i suppose imitation is just about everything.

California ruins everything.

I've decided I'm going to start leaning more towards skinhead than anything else specifically because everything else has been raped into submission by boring Los Angeles trust-fund assholes.

this is the truth!

il wear anything... make it your own and there are no connotations. it fun to take something with certain concentrations and make it work outside of them... i look at it like hip hop and street skating... take whats available and make it work for your purpose.

To each his own, we all know when we like something, we see it, pick it up, or ask where it was purchased wanting to make it a part of our own personal collection. That is if we like it enough and it suits our style. There should be no worries to whether or not we are falling into someone else's category of style as long as we fall into our own.

I would be bothered too, if I saw the token mallrat who only wore juicy and knockoff LV's wearing ande whalls with uggs, or something. does this make any sense?

no doubting id be bothered if i saw the meat-head in samurais or something of the sort, id probably pretty pissed off, but acting upon that and choosing to swear them off altogether out of spite is something else entirely.

i would, however, say that hitler ruining that mustache for everyone else until the end of time is proper acception to my stance

Ron Mael took back the Hitler mustache:

oh shit, hadnt seen that, bold move is all i can say, getting hassled by complete strangers would be enough to make me do away with any style of facial hair

is there even another known name for a "hitler" mustache? im sure he didnt come up with it, but ive never heard it called anything else