Best Chinese Food In NYC

thelion1856

so this is for all the NYC locals or peeps who lived there. Where is the best chinese food spot to go to in NYC. I heard they got some bomb chinese food there.

Edit: also if you can add what street its located on i think it would help me out as well as futuer SF'ers that are visiting N.Y.

dirty chinese = big wong and new green bo.

oh man i used to rock with big wong all the time... but wo hop and hop kee take the cake for grimey chinese food..

noodletown too..i guess theres a reason i only go to these places when im drunk..

Guest EmaciatedNerd

There is a local spot around my area of Saint Albans, Queens to be exact, im not sure of the name, but they serve FRESH oriental cuisine, not that greased up, matted down, calorie infested slop. I love them, i always get steamed shrimp and brocolli with a side of garlic sauce.:P

As far as the city is concerned Jose Shanghai.;)

Joe's Shanghai is over rated. excluding spots i'd prefer to go with an expense account (phillipe, mr.k, tse yang, etc.)

For Cantonese - Phoenix Garden

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?areaid=0&restaurantid=2974&neighborhoodid=0&cuisineid=0

Peppers and Salty Shrimp & Seafood Fried Rice with Special Sauce

For Szechuan - Wu Liang Ye

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?areaid=0&restaurantid=3653&neighborhoodid=0&cuisineid=0

I think Chiam is also over rated, my coworkers have recommended Chin Chin (the sound translates to 'dick' in Japanese) but i have yet to check out the spot. I have heard from many people that NY chinese food is too bastardized to American pallate, and that better Chinese food in North America is to be had in Toronto. Can't really confirm that but the spot I visited in Toronto was indeed pretty darn good.

wo-hop..... at six in the morning after the club!

nothing beats walking in and seeing 10 pounds of raw pork meat on the table with some guy making dumplings by hand.

i was told by my chinese friend that the newest influx of imigrants is from Fujian, so it's probably fitting that if you go to the block of Eldridge between the manahattan bridge and canal has incredible fujian cuisine (i.e. hand cut noodles, pulled noodles, beef broth with fish balls, etc...). most of these places are really dirty and i've only found one (Super Taste) which has even translated their menu to english, so there is a lot of pointing to other patron's food involved...

also i encourage everyone to take the 7 out to Flushing and try Spicy & Tasty. quite authentic Szechuan, complete with the mouth-numbing peppercorns and flaming hot oil...it's soooo good.

but for the bastardized american "Shanghai" style, i dig Nu Green Bo.

Toronto has excellent chinese food, but there are amazing authentic places in new york, too, you just have to look (and somtimes be willing to lower your hygene standards).

The secret to finding good chinese food in nyc, well in Flushing anyways, is to never goto the same restaurant after first 4 months of grand opening cus the turnover of staff is high. Usually during the grand opening period, they have the best staff, best chefs, best ingredients. Then afterwards everyone moves on to the next new place, taking whoever their friends with along. Its kinda like how Whole Foods operates for grand openings.

Joe Shanghai and New Green Bo is good for its Shanghai Soup Dumplings... aside from that.... its pretty much crap....

Yeah Shanghai changed the chef or something... the last couple of times i went there... it SUCKED

Wo Hop, 69, Noodletown is good when its late night and your drunk...

Yuen Yuen on Bayard is pretty decent... hole in the wall type...cheap, good and filling...

Bo Ky and New Chiu Chao has really good Country Style Duck... the soups dont contain MSG like Wonton Garden...

for Family style dining... New Cantoon garden(?) its right across the st from the 5th on Elizabeth...

Big Wong, Wing Wong, New Big Wang, Hsin Wong... they pretty much the same... overpriced... and not enough meat on it...

for Roast Pork(Cha Siew) over rice... go to Chrystie st between Hester and Grand... small small chop shop... impo... best Cha Siew in chinatown...

i think any list on this subject has to be ammended to include cuisine type. China has 8 general cuisine types, and good examples of many of them can be found in manhattan chinatown or one of the chinatown's in the boroughs.

i am much more interested in eating good authentic Fujian, for instance, than going to one of the best, americanized shanghai style places, and it seems that is most of chinatown in manhattan, as lestat said.

how about dim sum? who likes it and where do you like going for it?

Umm...for traditional cuisine I would have to say Dragon Palace on Lafayette and Hester I believe, which is near ODIN. They serve a good variety of mianly cantonese food and the price is affordable and like all good cantonese restaurants, the daily soup special is on the house.

as for dimsum, swisloc... I would say sun fuc lum moon on mott and hester near the manhattan bridge, they definitely know their shit when it comes down to dim sum- they even make it fresh in front of you in one of those good old steel carts euipped with a fryer, and the multititude of customers guarantees that the trays they bring out wouldnt be stale bullshit that so many other chinatown ones serve. their shiu chow dumplings are the absolute best I ve eaten in NY.

i think any list on this subject has to be ammended to include cuisine type. China has 8 general cuisine types, and good examples of many of them can be found in manhattan chinatown or one of the chinatown's in the boroughs.

i am much more interested in eating good authentic Fujian, for instance, than going to one of the best, americanized shanghai style places, and it seems that is most of chinatown in manhattan, as lestat said.

how about dim sum? who likes it and where do you like going for it?

Szechuan, Hunan food... i dont eat much... most of them restaurants are tourist traps.. by the foot of the manhattan bridge, theres a Szechuan place... pretty good...

Dim Sum.... in chinatown, the big Dim Sum places are Jing Fong on Elizabeth, Golden Bridge on Bowery, Fook Lum Moon and Harmony on Mott and Tung Sing on Division...

Fook Lum Moon has been goin downhill.... Harmony is decent if u go early... after 12:30-1pm... dont bother... Jing Fong is a hit or miss.... sometimes its good... sometimes it gets ugly... Tung Sing and Golden Bridge are the only consistent ones... wells thats the only 2 my relatives goes to every other day or so....

Good Authentic Fujian food? go to east broadway... its all fookienese food out there... good luck finding a place with an english menu... virtually everyone of them is a hole in a wall joint with chinese menus...

right across from HSBC bank... theres a very small Noodle place... its next to a computer store... fresh hand pulled noodles... i always get the beef noodle there... throw a fried egg into it and slap some hot sauce...

congee village and get the house special chicken. 'nuff said.

mmmmm... totally 4got about that place... a bit far out of chinatown though.. and long wait to get a table... but the food is worth it....

Umm...for traditional cuisine I would have to say Dragon Palace on Lafayette and Hester I believe, which is near ODIN. They serve a good variety of mianly cantonese food and the price is affordable and like all good cantonese restaurants, the daily soup special is on the house.

? Lafayette and Hester St dont intersect.... Hester ends on Centre St...

Guest dstld

why so much hate for Joe's? the dumplings are undeniably good and if you like green things I strongly suggest the Snow Pea Leaves. not on the menu but one of my favorite dishes in NYC.

Joe's is garbage. I prefer Shanghai Cafe for xiao long bao.

For Sichuan, I like Grand Sichuan International, which has a few locations across the city. Wu Liang Ye is also good. NY Noodletown has great Cantonese-style food. And as already mentioned, Congee Village is great as well.