what are your favorite stores in the USA

M.O.A

Louisville

-Ear X-Tacy

-Dot Fox

-Robby Lobby

You beat me to the punch. Ear X-Tacy is one of the best music stores in the midwest. Although they are a bit music-elitists (if you ask for anything they've heard of they act like you're so out of it, but if you ask for anything they haven't hear of, they act kinda pissed off that you've heard of someone they haven't). But the selection is great.

Although right down the street is Underground Sounds which is smaller, but they definitely have a much better used vinyl selection and hard-to-find stuff.

Kopilot is kinda like Kid Robot. A lot of Japanese clothes and toys, they have some Gamma-Go stuff. Although one of the owners hadn't heard of Katamari Damacy which I was very surprised & dissapointed.

Wild & Wooly Video has any obscure movie/tv show you could imagine or want.

And Home Skateshop. It's small, but their own T-Shirts are really good (design wise that is. the graphics are cool, but they just use whatever wholesale t-shirts)

Luckily these are all on the same street--Bardstown Rd.

For food in Louisville, go to BBC-Bluegrass Brewing Company because like their t-shirts say--"Beer Is Food." The Bourbon Barrell Stout will knock your head into the wall, but watch out--it's "creeper" beer. You don't start feeling it until your 2nd or 3rd, and by that point it's too late.

Best Skateshop:

Get Wet in Evansville, IN.

For being in the middle of nowhere, they are the biggest shop I've ever been to. Best selection, more brands, tons of clothes, brands and shoes. Seriously, it's huge for a skateshop. Although they get a lot of customers from inline, snowboarding and wakeboarding...but that's all in a separate section of the store.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright – rather than just cheesily posting, “hey there’s this cool store in Austin”. I give for your consideration a store that stocks:

Denim - Rag & Bone, Nudie, A.P.C., Ksubi, Cheap Monday (more than anyone, incl. shirts & jackets), Chimala…

Lines - Helmut Lang, United Bamboo (I do not understand why SF is not as obsessed with UB as I am), Rag & Bone, A.P.C., Obedient Sons (ditto), Nice Collective, Surface To Air Paris, Loden Dager, Yoko Devereaux, Maharishi/mhi, Hysteric Glamour…

Tees - Just Another Rich Kid, Kenzo Minami, M. Carter, Surface To Air Black Label, The Cast, Kid Robot ltd.ed., Mishka, Kilo, King Stampede, Rocksmith…

For the superfuture girl – the best denim plus See By Chloe, United Bamboo, Three As Four…

FactoryPeople has murals on the wall by: Kenzo Minami, Surface To Air (Daniel Jackson & Gordon Hull), Jasper Goodall, Mathew Rodriguez…

We’ve hosted in-store events with: DFA (James Murphy, Juan Mclean, Tim Sweeney, Shit Robot), MSTRKRFT, Optimo, FIXED (JDH & Dave P), Peaches, Annie, Princess Superstar, Presets, The Rapture, Mathew Dear, Ellen Alien, Raveonettes, Gang Of Four, The Charlatans, Mates of State, Asobi Seksu, and on and on…

FactoryPeople was named one of the 50 most influential stores in America by DNR and is on GQ’s list of 100 best stores.

I mean, fuck! What do we have to do to get your attention? Chicken – you have my back here, right?

Oh yeah - we offer a 20% discount to SF’ers (check out code = superfuture). Plus for superfutarians only, free domestic shipping. (The code doesn't work on Cheap Monday you cheap bastards).

The ecom site’s getting to where we want it to be. Constructive criticism always welcome (“What the fuck is up with their site” doesn’t qualify Asterix). International shipping is now more reasonable (they do not make it easy or cheap for an indie retailer).

We’d really appreciate your business. I’m a big superfuture fan and often direct people there when they want to learn more about denim. You guys also hooked us up when we went to Singapore for Fashion Week last fall.

Check out the site, sign up for our newsletter, be our myspace friend.

Thanks!

Thomas

p.s. one free pair of Cheap Mondays to the first person to pm me with the following answer. What stores get a shout out in the liner notes to the new LCD Soundsystem record Sound of Silver?

Guest Airjamie
Alright – rather than just cheesily posting, “hey there’s this cool store in Austinâ€. I give for your consideration a store that stocks:

Denim - Rag & Bone, Nudie, A.P.C., Ksubi, Cheap Monday (more than anyone, incl. shirts & jackets), Chimala…

Lines - Helmut Lang, United Bamboo (I do not understand why SF is not as obsessed with UB as I am), Rag & Bone, A.P.C., Obedient Sons (ditto), Nice Collective, Surface To Air Paris, Loden Dager, Yoko Devereaux, Maharishi/mhi, Hysteric Glamour…

Tees - Just Another Rich Kid, Kenzo Minami, M. Carter, Surface To Air Black Label, The Cast, Kid Robot ltd.ed., Mishka, Kilo, King Stampede, Rocksmith…

For the superfuture girl – the best denim plus See By Chloe, United Bamboo, Three As Four…

FactoryPeople has murals on the wall by: Kenzo Minami, Surface To Air (Daniel Jackson & Gordon Hull), Jasper Goodall, Mathew Rodriguez…

We’ve hosted in-store events with: DFA (James Murphy, Juan Mclean, Tim Sweeney, Shit Robot), MSTRKRFT, Optimo, FIXED (JDH & Dave P), Peaches, Annie, Princess Superstar, Presets, The Rapture, Mathew Dear, Ellen Alien, Raveonettes, Gang Of Four, The Charlatans, Mates of State, Asobi Seksu, and on and on…

FactoryPeople was named one of the 50 most influential stores in America by DNR and is on GQ’s list of 100 best stores.

I mean, fuck! What do we have to do to get your attention? Chicken – you have my back here, right?

Oh yeah - we offer a 20% discount to SF’ers (check out code = superfuture). Plus for superfutarians only, free domestic shipping.

The ecom site’s getting to where we want it to be. Constructive criticism always welcome (“What the fuck is up with their site†doesn’t qualify Asterix). International shipping is now more reasonable (they do not make it easy or cheap for an indie retailer).

We’d really appreciate your business. I’m a big superfuture fan and often direct people there when they want to learn more about denim. You guys also hooked us up when we went to Singapore for Fashion Week last fall.

Check out the site, sign up for our newsletter, be our myspace friend.

Thanks!

Thomas

p.s. one free pair of Cheap Mondays to the first person to pm me with the following answer. What stores get a shout out in the liner notes to the new LCD Soundsystem record Sound of Silver?

Hey dude the coupon code doesnt work.

The only two places i ever go are home ( Kansas City ) and Las Vegas. In Vegas I always hit Fruition. The UNDFTD store was just opening last time I was there, but it was stocked well with sneakers and the staff was nice. As far as here in KC I only really ever hit up my own store. I have heard great things about Self Edge, and Common Wealth continues to impress me on the street/sneaker side.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello...

DRESSCODES Atlanta!!!!

Only store in Atl to carry FIlippa K, Kicking Mule, Slings & Stones, Yoko Devereaux, Evil Genius, and Aem Kei.. and others of course..

Ps. I'm not saying that cause i'm the owner either.. the Stanard is cool too in ATL.

NYC - Famous Friends, Odyn, Zakka !!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

West Coast

Maxfield- Only place around here where I can find RO, CCP, Guidi, etc. The store is very well put together and the staff is helpful. And with shit L.A. parking, I'm glad they have thier own parking lot...

Barneys- Pretty much everything fashion.

East

Atelier- Definitely my favorite store. Only been inside there once, but I have ordered plenty of items from them and they are always extremely helpful!

Cloak store (while it's open...)- A very cool vibe, the interior was great, and the fitting room was a cool touch.

Barneys Madison- Far better than the one in LA; Way more brands and way more merchandise.

not necessarily clothing ....

Chicago

-Hejfina

-Belmont Army Surplus (for the 3rd floor)

Belmont Army has been on Milwaukee Ave. (instead of Belmont) for about the past year-- the one on Belmont was demolished to make way for El track expansion, but the old third floor with actual military surplus was pretty fun. I once bought a flight jacket there on a freak cold day the same day I ran into a friend from a few states away-- that place will be missed for its freak occurances, but the basement of the new Belmont Army is just as creepy, but not nearly as scenic.

Here's my Chicago:

Hejfina

Gamma Player

Barney's Co-Op

Jake

St Alfreds

Alts 2

Myopic Books :)

& Quimbys

Hejfina is incredibly approachable and shoppable, having very friendly and helpful staff, and Gamma is less approachable (you feel a bit like you're touring an art exhibit) but still really friendly and helpful, everything in there is beautiful. Alternatives can satisfy the shoe slut's impulse, and St Alfreds for sneakers and some good looking collaborations (they've only got a couple up now.)

The string of stores along Clark before Diversey sometimes have some cute things, but they all stock similarly (Tobacco Road belts, identical button ups) and the boutique run by that Red Eye fashion critic who spends each and every summer telling men to wear linnen pants and better shoes is nice for some women's wear, but runs out of small sizes in a hurry. If I sorted and categorized any of this, it might even be useful.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Here in Kansas City I love to go to Standard Style boutique, The Bunker (which is going to soon have a nike account YEAHYA.),Imerpial Skate Shop, and Phenom. But word on the street is a new boutique will be soon to open and is going to be the S%^T from what I hear. So if thats is true I can't wait.

What is with all the Supreme love? I suppose I'm the only one that doesn't really "get" the brand. But as far as the NYC store goes, I don't see how it's an interesting shopping experience at all in terms of the architecture / decor / interior, etc., not to mention the service, which is openly contemptuous to most people who walk into the store.

Finally, I'm surprised people didn't mention the Prada store in SoHo. It's such an ill building.

Any fans of the Tom Ford store on the UES? I've never been to it myself but I hear it's interesting to say the least.

• 2 years later...

a bit too many redundant threads being made about "where to shop in LA".... massive bump

West Coast

Union LA - previous pages have mentioned this many times. high-end streetwear. cop visvimz

Brooks Brothers Beverly Hills - i come here to climb up the sueprcool double staircase and fondle the black fleece collection

Leather Soul Beverly Hills - alden shoes, upstairs has dat bespoke shoe shyt

Maxfield - taxidermy, vintage hermes, one-of-a-kind store, get your rick owenz

Ooga Booga - books, art, old bless stuff

Opening Ceremony LA - it's like walking into a wacky funhouse surrounded by hipsters. the BoO lego room is cool. BoO sucks though, but the lego room is cool.

South Willard - small shop, but they stock dries van noten and other cool things

Case Study Unholy Matrimony - stocks undercover,. unholy matrimony, etc etc

H. Lorenzo - same shyt

Mister Freedom - wooo a real museum of serious vintage. this is the most american store in LA.

Hollywood Trading Company - leather, belts, vintage boots, denim repair

Schaeffers Garment Hotel - by the dude who was @ HTC. denim repair, wacky hat shop, vintage goods

Amoeba - records n shit

American Rag - i kinna hate this store. but probably the most varied selection of different styles of clothes.

BAPE LA - this store is just fun walk around, recently closed (RIP)

Those are just some off the top of my head...

I have also heard great things about IF Boutique in new york