what are your favorite stores in the USA

M.O.A

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were to visit Hollywood for one afternoon, these are the stores I would recommend...

Southern California

Hollywood Trading Company (both on Beverly in Hollywood, and in Fred Segal in Santa Monica) - excellent stock, and sales associates that treat you better than your best friends. In fact, if you shop here regularly, you will become friends with the employees. Features a constantly rotating stock of both international and local designers, with great diversity and excellent selection. Their aesthetic is sophisticated yet fun--clothes you can wear to a party. Very appropriate, considering the excellent parties they throw to showcase new designers. This is my first stop when I go shopping in LA. Brands include (these will vary from season to season): April 77, Acne, Cloak, Pudel, APC, Cheap Monday, and many, many more.

American Rag (la brea) - just around the corner from Hollywood Trading Company, American Rag has well-selected vintage clothing as well as fare from new designers. Lots of jeans can be found in their World Denim add-on (which carries suprisingly little japanese denim, considering the name). Good selection of shoes, too. Though it has a larger selection, it is less personal than HTC. Still worth stopping by.

Opening Ceremony (la cienega) - if you've been to the NYC location, this one carries pretty much the exact same stock. Patrik Ervell, Cloak, Acne, etc, as well as the Opening Ceremony house brand. This store opened very recently so I have only visited once, but it is worth going so you can walk across the street to Boule to get some excellent chocolates and caramels. My favorite chocolate is Jade, the green tea flavor. Get a box of twelve of your favorite flavors, you won't regret it.

Maxfield (melrose and robertson) - go here to oogle at the clothes that you will never be able to afford. Number (N)ine, Rick Owens, Dior Homme, Martin Margiela, Cdiem, and all the other insanely priced articles that you wish you could own. I stop here every time I am in the area, just to tease myself. Relatively friendly staff will help you with any questions you have and stare at you while you finger the cashmere tank tops.

Barneys (rodeo dr.) - everything under the sun. Barneys is a great resource for all things fashion, and they've got plenty of fare to choose from.

Southwest

i havent been around that much as i would like to but i really like HUB Clothing in Scottsdale, Az.They have a lot of the more mainstream undergroundish brands (read Alex+Chloe, Corpus, Nice Collective, Nudie, Cheap Monday, not the uber unknown brands though)

The people there are really nice too and the service is excellent, i always go there when im down in phoenix and they know my name so that also makes my stay there more enjoyable. If youre ever down there imo its worth checking out not that much for the brands as they can be found at a bunch of other places but shopping there is enjoyable.

As far as AZ goes, HUB is pretty good. However its a bit pricey and I'm gonna have to disagree about the enjoyable-ness of shopping there. Everytime I've been in there I have to deal with some girl calling me "Hun" a million times. I'm not your "hun!" Drives me nuts. I guess thats my only complaint though.

although it's getting better, Boston is virtual wasteland for quality shopping. New Dandyism does by appointment only shopping if your looking for an instore experience. Otherwise their site offers free shipping for those who can't get to it. Just contact them at [email protected] for an appointment.

Rittenhouse

WoodWood

Call of the Wild

Nicholas K

Loomstate

Obedient Sons

although it's getting better, Boston is virtual wasteland for quality shopping.

Yeah, not great shopping in Boston, but there is Stel's and Alan Bilzerian. Alan has more interesting stuff (Carpe Diem, Krones&Kin, Yamamoto, CdG, great selection of Margiela) and I get lots of accessories (well, mostly Fred Bare hats, but some bracelets too) there, but Stel's is good for more accessible (both stylistically and financially) stuff (APC, Nom de Guerre, United Bamboo, etc...) Louis is also decent, though they've been getting boring - picking out the safest pieces from Neil Barrett and Dries van Noten, and dropping more interesting brands like Cloak.

Not counting webstores:

In NYC, I like Odin (Great selection of Engineered Garments), BBlessing (I used to go to Breakbeat Science a fair bit, so...), Unis, Oak and Stuart & Wright in Brooklyn. Um, also, Steven Alan, very occasionally. Has anyone checked out the Denise Williamson store, btw?

In Chicago, I like Hejfina.

In LA, I like Maxfield, but like looking at the odds and ends at the Maxfield Bleu more - you never know what you'll find - some crazy Voyage thing that you wonder who thought of, and who bought. I actually buy stuff at HTC, Denim Doctors, Ron Herman in Fred Segal, Traffic in the Beverly Center, and American Rag, which is sort of boring but reliable - a good place for vintage if you don't have the time to sift.

Edit. Whoops, forgot SF and Toronto

SF: Self Edge is obviously good for denim, but I also like MAC, which has really good buying.

Toronto: Uncle Otis is a nice change of pace from the more amped up stores in Yorkville. My brother lives a stones throw away from there, so I go every time I go visit (not that often).

love online fashion stores - not extreme high end as I can not afford all that, but some that carry great lines that aren't overly expensive.

www.frankeys.com

www.activeendeavers.com

http://newdandyism.com/ and active endevors are prob the two best onlines stores out there. they carry similar lines and both have quick free shipping. I find that newdandyism's prices are generally cheaper for the same items though. Frankey's seems to a little more euro trash-ish.

If you were to visit Hollywood for one afternoon, these are the stores I would recommend...

Southern California

Hollywood Trading Company (both on Beverly in Hollywood, and in Fred Segal in Santa Monica) - excellent stock, and sales associates that treat you better than your best friends. In fact, if you shop here regularly, you will become friends with the employees. Features a constantly rotating stock of both international and local designers, with great diversity and excellent selection. Their aesthetic is sophisticated yet fun--clothes you can wear to a party. Very appropriate, considering the excellent parties they throw to showcase new designers. This is my first stop when I go shopping in LA. Brands include (these will vary from season to season): April 77, Acne, Cloak, Pudel, APC, Cheap Monday, and many, many more.

American Rag (la brea) - just around the corner from Hollywood Trading Company, American Rag has well-selected vintage clothing as well as fare from new designers. Lots of jeans can be found in their World Denim add-on (which carries suprisingly little japanese denim, considering the name). Good selection of shoes, too. Though it has a larger selection, it is less personal than HTC. Still worth stopping by.

Opening Ceremony (la cienega) - if you've been to the NYC location, this one carries pretty much the exact same stock. Patrik Ervell, Cloak, Acne, etc, as well as the Opening Ceremony house brand. This store opened very recently so I have only visited once, but it is worth going so you can walk across the street to Boule to get some excellent chocolates and caramels. My favorite chocolate is Jade, the green tea flavor. Get a box of twelve of your favorite flavors, you won't regret it.

Maxfield (melrose and robertson) - go here to oogle at the clothes that you will never be able to afford. Number (N)ine, Rick Owens, Dior Homme, Martin Margiela, Cdiem, and all the other insanely priced articles that you wish you could own. I stop here every time I am in the area, just to tease myself. Relatively friendly staff will help you with any questions you have and stare at you while you finger the cashmere tank tops.

Barneys (rodeo dr.) - everything under the sun. Barneys is a great resource for all things fashion, and they've got plenty of fare to choose from.

Barneys New York and Maxfield are my favorite stores. :cool:

In Chicago, I like Hejfina.

I'm right there with you. I stumbled upon this store when walking along Milwaukee one day and it was a goldmine. Cloak marked 30% off, anyone?

As far as Dallas goes, the pickings are slim...

Barneys Coop takes the cake, of course, being the only true designer boutique for men under the age of 40.

The Shack by Stanley Korshak (sp?) is pretty hot but they don't stock ANYTHING in size Sm.

Premium 93 in Uptown is nice, especially once they start stocking J Lindeberg's collection.

Sisley in the Galleria is a good spot for some Spanish fashion on the cheap. This is one of the few stores in America and is worth checking out.

^cto stop big upping new dandyism. It's obvious it's your shop and it has nowhere near the selection as activeendeavors

Anyways to the topic at hand,

West Coast

Richard Kidd ( though expensive, it is no doubt one of the coolest stores in the world)

Livestock (Great Shoe selection, great staff and Canadian)

Goods ( One of the best 'streetwear' stores in the us imo, great selection with a large variety of tastes and they stock PAM which is a double bonus and dope staff)

Blackbird ( dope for nom d and apc etc )

Union LA ( great selection of street inspired gear )

East Coast

Nom de guerre ( nice store, even though I don't purchase much from them its a cool space)

Odin ( great for engineered garments, common projects etc)

Reed Space ( great for magazines and cool store too)

Supreme ( no explanation )

Bblessing ( not much my taste, but cool store especially the jewlery display case)

Union (small but packed with streetwear goodness, great variety, but lots of crap as well)

Stussy Ny ( no explanation, great space, great gear, new deluxe line is dope)

Overseas

IT Hong Kong ( huge selection of anything cool from street to high end)

DMop HK (same as IT but not quite as good)

Hideout London - Expensive but all the goodness visvim, supreme, pam etc

Thats all I can think of right now, i'll update more as they come to mind

West Coast - Seattle

Goods Great selection - Even better if you skate.

Blackbird - Awesome store, awesome staff.

Riveted - I used to check them out all the time when I first moved here a few months back, but in the short time since then they seem to have slipped. They have inconsistent stock, through no fault of their own, and they seem to be turning into a womens/metrosexual store. They still have Nudies, and Cheap Monday, but the more interesting stuff, like Edwin, Lee, etc, are pretty rare. They did get in some new Japanese designer who makes all of his jeans by hand. There were some pretty sweet details.

Capitol 1524 - Alright shoes I guess. They get Jordans. I get my haircut there...

The rest of the stores are psuedo hypebeast or extremely metrosexual. Of course there are also the standards, like Barneys.

I'm right there with you. I stumbled upon this store when walking along Milwaukee one day and it was a goldmine. Cloak marked 30% off, anyone?

i got some CDG stuff from hejfina.

i remember some cloak shit marked 50% off at one time.

the store staff, though some people think they are pretentious as hell, are really nice.

if they think you know your stuff i.e. you aren't some some true religion wearing yuppie

they are very cool. one girl even ID'd my shirt.

Ive only been to the East Coast

East Coast

Alife Rivington Street

I think alife and reed space are overrated.

Alife has some cool kicks but I find their markups to be a lot higher than

other tier 0 accounts in the city. Aside from the magazines, reed space is really disappointing. How did staple design get so huge? They had the

pigeon SBs but thats about it.

Whenever I'm in the city I take a hike to LES but I always regret going there.

-edit-

bblessing is there so i guess LES isnt THAT bad

Famous Friends- the staff are super friendly, and they carry items that no one else in the city stocks, which is always a plus. Recent Pick-ups include: Stray Boys grey jeans with asymetrical legs (during their "20% off all jean sale), wood wood shirt (30% off), and Wings&Horns skull hoodie (30% as well) Gonna grab some more T's and what not from their spring stock soon. No one seems to shop there, cause they always have everything I want in my size.

Sound City Records-Located on 30th Ave, in Astoria Queens, this place is run by two awesome crusty old white dudes who have a real love for all things musical, and stock an excellent collection of mixtapes, independant releases, and street albums from all Artists QueensBridge related (Cormega, tragedy, troy slugs, bars 'n hooks, littles, etc...) I also picked up Nirvana's Insecticide, and Alice and Chains Dirt, for a buck a piece on tape yesterday. Did I mention they stock records too...?Everything a mom and pop should be in a Virgin Megastore world.

Dashwood books- Amazing store devoted entirely to photography books. A must visit for any regulars of the Photo thread if in the city. It is truely one of a kind. Rare, used, new, obscure...they got it all.

St. Marks Bookshop- Best place to browse international and hard-to-find magazines. Good selection of literary journals, and poetry also. A good place to kill time before meeting people downtown.

West Coast - Seattle

Blackbird - Awesome store, awesome staff.

Riveted - I used to check them out all the time when I first moved here a few months back, but in the short time since then they seem to have slipped. They have inconsistent stock, through no fault of their own, and they seem to be turning into a womens/metrosexual store. They still have Nudies, and Cheap Monday, but the more interesting stuff, like Edwin, Lee, etc, are pretty rare. They did get in some new Japanese designer who makes all of his jeans by hand. There were some pretty sweet details.

thanks so much for those, kinda stuff im looking for. im gonna have to hit them up soon. :D

not necessarily clothing ....

NYC

-DQM

-Printed Matter

-aNYthing

-Asahiya

-Opening Ceremony

-Trackstar

-Nom De Guerre

-Century 21 (when they have stone island)

-Turntablelab

-that surplus store in Soho

Louisville

-Ear X-Tacy

-Dot Fox

-Robby Lobby

Chicago

-Hejfina

-Belmont Army Surplus (for the 3rd floor)

Leilow has the best stock and random stuff for its size in this country.

UNION LA sucks, seriously rigid and boring. Union NYC is much better, much more organic feeling and stock.

Okay first of all Leilow only has the best stock of Visvim.jp products. Other than that the stock really isn't THAT great.

As for Union LA and Union NYC you must be confusing the two stores. Union LA has hands down the best stock in the country of all of the best Japanese streetwear brands. Headporter+, Neighborhood, Visvim (great selection on the clothing side, however with the shoes it's kinda hit or miss), w)taps, etc. You name they have it.

West Coast (Los Angeles)

(Clothing)

-Hollywood Trading Company

-South Willard

-Opening Ceremony

-Mister Freedom (haven't purchased anything here but this store is definitely worth a look)

(Books)

-Duttons

-The Illiad

(Baked Goods)

-Porto's

(Records)

-Record Surplus

-Atomic Records

Fuck Amoeba, that place is the sole reason why my fave record store closed down. Most of Amoeba's shit is overpriced any way, and you can't even play any records before you buy them.