Underrated Movies - because love is better than hate

wild_whiskey

I loved ghostdog, and im pretty sure ive seen the whole argument for and against it before on SuFu, seems to really polarize (sp?) people.

I think a lot of Jim Jarmusch's films are like that... I liked it personally.

On the other hand, I thought coffee and cigarettes was very contrived, and I'm still unsure on my opinion of Dead Man, becasue I've only seen it the once.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jmatsu
its cool, jim jarmusch is weird, but i love everything ive seen by him

especially mystery train

but especially ghost dog

mystery train was great!

not jim jarmusch, but you might like the maiku hama detective series (star nagase masatoshi, the same japanese guy).

the first one "the most terrible time in my life" or it might be "waga jinsei no ichiban saiyaku toki," was an especially great and little known japanese noir (little known to americans that is).

mystery train was great!

not jim jarmusch, but you might like the maiku hama detective series (star nagase masatoshi, the same japanese guy).

the first one "the most terrible time in my life" or it might be "waga jinsei no ichiban saiyaku toki," was an especially great and little known japanese noir (little known to americans that is).

awesome.. i love that guy

im definately going to try to track it down later, thanks dude

i'm currently making a list of movies that i have seen/haven't seen/need to own/need to go out and see - i started with these four

- cemetery man (dellamorte dellamore) - haven't seen it, gonna buy it

- bad taste - seen it, gonna buy it

- meet the feebles - haven't seen it, gonna buy it

- braindead - seen most of it, gonna buy it

early peter jackson stuff like the 3 after cemetery man, and movies like the frighteners (which he also did) are actually amazing movies, you can see why he did so much right with LOTR. he's a brilliant director, and a real innovator. cemetery man i came across in my endless search for quality horror movies (i love 'em, plan on making them, already started on my own zombie feature with some friends), but it goes way beyond my expectations of what a great horror movie is. i've seen bits and pieces and i can't wait to go out and buy it when my paycheck comes in a few weeks. i'm long overdue for some new dvds. i suggest you all see these horror-gross out gems.

Brain Dead? Bad Taste? Meet the feebles?

I remember renting these when I was a kid... You have to be joking about Peter Jackson being a directorial visionary from these movies... I hate peter jackson, I don't know why, but he doesnt deserve to be loved...Move these movies to the overated thread...

Good zombie movie, see Undead.

pssssh, he does great stuff, he's no visionary, but he is amazing behind a camera. king kong sucked though.

king kong was such a drag, I felt like I had watched the same movie twice by the end of it...

The Fifth Element. I had no idea it was panned by critics at the time. All I remember was seeing it and loving every moment - cool costumes and set design, cool aliens, naked mila jovovich, and one of Chris Tucker's most brilliant performances. Still one of my favorites to this day and it gets the gasface from many people I talk to.

It's a pretty generic Bruce Willis performance but other than that I enjoyed everything about it.

Plus it's got Luke Perry in it. I've never seen him in a movie before that.

Both of Gaspar Noes films are pretty underated, especially I Stand Alone.

Law of Desire?

I think that Black Snake Moan should of gotten more recognition- 300 overshadowed everything. I think it's still in theaters though.

I donno Gaspar Noe has been on my mind for the past week- in my opinion; amazing director. Really can't wait for "8".

The Fifth Element. I had no idea it was panned by critics at the time. All I remember was seeing it and loving every moment - cool costumes and set design, cool aliens, naked mila jovovich, and one of Chris Tucker's most brilliant performances. Still one of my favorites to this day and it gets the gasface from many people I talk to.

It's a pretty generic Bruce Willis performance but other than that I enjoyed everything about it.

Plus it's got Luke Perry in it. I've never seen him in a movie before that.

fifth elements one of my most favorite films of all time. luc besson is an amazing director, and i can't wait for his new one Angel A

stolen from wikipedia

Enter the Void is a film written and directed by Gaspar Noé. It's scheduled for release sometime in 2008.

Details

Noé has said in interviews that Enter the Void is a "chaotic street drama about directionless Japanese youth; getting high, getting crazy, getting numb and disconnected." He's also said that the film will be, "a hallucinatory voyage which will require many special effects..."

In this regard, Noé has said that Enter the Void is in the vein of the works of Phillip K. Dick and David Cronenberg's Videodrome.

sounds really cool videodrome is one of the best movies ever so this should be good

i always forget this guys name.. irreversible was a strange movie

luc besson did deep blue sea or something like that which i found when sifting thru an old video store. It's about diving competitions where people see how deep/lonbg they can go with no oxygen. The plot wasn't really anything to write home about but I was really struck by the cinematography and visuals..

the burbs is amazing

luc besson did deep blue sea or something like that which i found when sifting thru an old video store. It's about diving competitions where people see how deep/lonbg they can go with no oxygen. The plot wasn't really anything to write home about but I was really struck by the cinematography and visuals..

the burbs is amazing

The big blue was filmed in english (you'll note that Rosanna Arquette plays the main female protagonist) and Besson probably viewed it as a potential international hit, interestingly enough it's nearly unknown in english speaking countries while there's a "big blue generation' in France, where this film's impact was huge.

If you guys like Gaspard Noé I recommend seing Innocence, a movie made by his girlfriend, Lucile Hadzihalilovic.

Guest jmatsu

i just saw irreversible like a week ago. i thought it was great. apparently it was a big hit in france. i am ashamed that i slept on it.

viva la rectum.

sean - irreversible - the belluci, vincent cassel film. Its good, I like how the story really lends itself to the mementoish narrative, I think the rape scene is too strong and over shadows everything else. I own this on DVD and I really wish I didnt, the amount of times I had to watch it with a mate when I really didnt need to sit through it again...