Hidden Hotel Deals In NYC (what do you know about NYC?)

ProfMonnitoff

you can get crazy deals on priceline.com, I've never used but my friend has a couple of times. basically they're "anonymous" deals so you dont know the hotel youre reserving, but I think they have only a few in nyc that offer rooms through them. if all the options are decent, a room in any one of them would be good, for example my friend found out what the places were and they were all good hotels with a decent location. theres some way to find out what the options are, so maybe something worth looking into.

I stayed at the Affinia Dumont last time and it was nice, they are also one of the few dog-friendly hotel that doesn't have a crazy pet fee...

I too have friends who got great deals with priceline, but since I travel with my dog the random hotel thing doesn't work for me...

consult TripAdvisor, I've been using it for reference for years and it's been pretty useful...

tripadvisor is definately a huge help, I used where ever I go. of course not all reviews can be taken seriously as someone throws 1 star to a hotel which didn't have 8 towels and someone gives another one 5 because the receptionist was cute, but it gives a pretty good general idea of places and also helps when searching for a hotel in a specific price range.

So i just booked 2 nights in NYC at the Pod Hotel, thanks for the reference Ryan & goldengloves. I got the Queen bed with private bathroom.

What i like about the Pod hotel is that they not only got free wireless internet access, ipod dock stations in each room, but they also got a Shuttle that goes to JFK Airport for only $20. that should save big time money than taking a cab.

I'll try to remember to take some pics of the place and post them up in this thread so you guys can get a better idea of the hotel.

i found on expedia that they have a 5night deal (which is how long we're staying) that comes out to $203CDN per night for a Standard Queen room.

out of curiosity, just how small would you say the rooms are compared to reviews? for example, I'm 6'2 and people are saying that the bathrooms require you to be 5'8 or shorter. true or false? or did you stay in a superior room? technically the queen superior is $250CDN a night instead for 70 square feet more..but I'm not sure if its worth it or not.

Club Quarters is another option. it's basically a members only club for business travelers, but if you book through travelocity.com, you are eligible. my girlfriend & I got a double bed room literally in downtown Chicago last summer for about $150 a night. they have places in NYC too. the only drawback was the rooms are really tiny. like you almost bump into the bed walking in the door, but it was clean, had wi-fi & very convenient.

• 3 weeks later...

so i check in to NYC the pod hotel tommorow night. since they have internet connection i'll take some pics on thursday morning around the hotel for you guys. i'll mos def try to get pics of that bar on top of the hotel.

lol...I'm at The Pod right now... Single room, gave me a rate of $139 + taxes / night.

Pros -

+ Location is good (Upper East Side, E 51st)

+ Rooms are CLEAN

+ Shared bathrooms which are SUPERB. Always clean, look recently installed. Also, there are at least 4 per floor (I think), so you never have problems getting one.

+ Each room has free wi-fi plus one of those iHome radio/chargers for your iPod, a small flatscreen tv, a small sink, and (surprisingly, a small) safe.

Cons -

- Room(s) is/are pretty tiny. Also, for example I'm 6.0" and the bed is too small for me (lengthwise)

- You can pretty much hear everything from outside your room, people banging their doors; some ppl have complained about the thin walls etc. I wouldn't try it without earplugs.

I also saw a peek of a "suite" or whatever, which had a private bathroom, and seemed quite roomy and nice.

All in all, the price/quality ratio is definitely on the plus side, especially considering the location and everything. Even though it's not what I'd still call "cheap", all the amenities plus the simple fact that it's CLEAN (for it's price range, definitely not a thing that's granted even for expensive hotels in Manhattan) is what makes it worthwhile.

nyc was pretty dope. the hotel was okay but i guess thats what you get for a cheap room in NYC. time square was only a couple blocks away, about a $8 cab ride from the pod hotel. Uniglo/B.I.G. was about a $10 to $12 cab ride. number (n)ine was about a $13 to 14 cab ride from pod hotel. lots of cool little bars around there. this is the view from the hotel room....

DSC01182.jpg

there was the best food i ever ate in my life in walking distance. i wish i took more pics of this place. this is a turkish resturaunt called Zip Saks. it was on 2nd street. the food was fucking insane. they had this chicken shish-kabab with toasted sesame bread with this yogurt/tomato garlic sause spread over it. it was the best food i ever had. here is a picture of the turkish pizza, behind it is the olive & cheese appetizer and next to it is the hummus appetizer. awesome food! if you stay at the pod hotel make sure you check this place out, i didnt want to eat any turkish food cuz i thought it would be gross, but now its my favorite food rivaling sushi.

DSC01217.jpg

the homeless guy holding this sign in time square told us a joke right after taking this pic so we gave him a couple bucks. "Whats the best thing about dating a homeless lady?.......You can drop the bitch off anywhere you want!"

DSC01221.jpg

Staying at teh POD from the 23rd to the 26th.

Will report back.

How's the customer service?

The 4,5,6 subway station is like a block away, dude.

You just get an unlimited ride card for 6 (or 7) bucks.

I can't believe you wasted all that money for cab rides.

Do people not know about the superfuture main website...?

GOD DAMN

yo herp i know we did use the subway. we got a cab ride back once from china town thats it so im basing the cab rides from that one ride dude. most of the time we walked or used the subway.

customer service was okay. the 1st night they were out of the room we had wanted so they made us upgrade, i was like fuck it so we did. then he gave us a floor on the top level to make up for it.

one thing, all the rooms have shitty air conditioning so if that is something that bothers you then you might have a problem staying there.