Denim in Bangkok

Largo

Since tweedlesinpink brought it up in this thread, I was curious as to the location of his 'hole in the wall' denim store at the MBK Center near Siam Square. My sister-in-law was able to find it unerringly with some sort of freakish shopping sixth sense, so I took some shots and talked a bit with the guy at the counter.

451926144_cd60d4df37_m.jpg

451926136_a657629a3a_m.jpg

451926132_f4f870990b_m.jpg

451926130_edbcfd4d00_m.jpg

The name of the place is 'Trenner, Lee & Na', right near the Tops Supermarket, in a small side path near the edge of the shops on the first floor.

They had a decent amount of SDA (the 15 year anniversary model, and some used 10 year anniversary), Denime, what I assumed were LVC (in Bangkok I'm never sure what is or isn't real) and Yamane, among others. I'd say most of their stock is Evisu, but there's a little bit of this and that in random piles near the front and hanging on the back, and various used models on the left wall ranging from Dry Bones to Samurai. Supposedly they're getting in some 'slimmer' models jeans next month from Sugarcane, PBJ, and a few others, although he didn't remember specifically which models. Most of the stock I saw right now was more on the repro-side of things fit-wise.

Regardless, thanks again to tweedlesinpink for the heads up!

great snaps, Largo, much better than the ones i got.

were the used 45rpm jeans still there?

random piles is right. but some very delectable denim in the store.

it's a pity they only have sizes 32 and up (or has that changed as well)

Hmmm, I'm not sure about the 45rpms. If it was one of the dozens of piles stacked up on the left wall, then it's certainly possible. There was a lot of single pairs of random jeans hanging on the back wall I didn't really get the chance to take inventory of.

As for sizes, I'm not sure. I'd almost swear that there were some size 30s and under in the pile in front with all the SDA and Denime stuff, as well as the big stack of Yamane they had in the corner. I was sorely tempted to go for one of the Yamane pairs, but the fit looked pretty loose as far as I could tell and they were running for about 13-15K baht, which I didn't have to blow at the time. Didn't think to ask about pricing on the other stuff, though.

I stopped by over the weekend. Everything is in size 32 or 33 and above. Basically, nothing in 30 except some used Denime and maybe an Evisu.

The guy running the shop mentioned that he was friends with owner of Take5. He told me to check back in a few week as they are expecting some new denim.

I'm kicking myself for not buying Eternal 811 in Hong Kong last week. Oh well.

Anyway, thanks Tweeds!

• 2 months later...

Well this was interesting. I was suckered into stumbling around Siam Square staring at women's shoes when I gave up and ran for it before I went insane. As I rounded a corner, I saw jeans. And selvage! Turns out there's more to the Bangkok market scene than LVC knockoffs and poorly distressed Diesel-esque jeans. While I would politely call this particular store, "Cherry Black", an 'homage' to Evisu (check the patch...), it was still interesting to come across.

The owner says his influences are LVC and Evisu (a few pairs have giant 'daicock'-style paintings on the back), and all of the jeans seem to fit like tents (they're all STF). He's a nice guy, but I don't think he's familiar with the 'size down' concept, since the jeans I tried were just too big/loose. Still, if you speak Thai, he's enthusiastic about his jeans, and spotted a pair of Samurais as 'Japanese Selvage' at about ten paces. There were some pairs that looked a little slimmer, but he insisted they wouldn't fit, and I wasn't going to buy them (yet) anyways, so I didn't try. Lots of different denims, doughnut buttons with dubious hardware, costs around 2,000 baht a pair, and I believe carries smaller sizes for those who couldn't find anything in MBK under a 32. Jean jackets, too. If you're in Bangkok and want to find the place, it's right in the entrance to the Siam Cinema (in SIam Square) across from Paragon/Discovery. Go straight in, and look to your left.

cb1nz4.jpgcb2po3.jpg

cb3lp4.jpgcb4qc7.jpg

I could see where you'd be apprehensive about that, though. Any minor air of self-satisfaction I had when I got here about my 'awesome selvage jeans' was shot to hell real quick when I realized that there were huge numbers of people, everwhere, wearing red-line selvage of some description, more often than not with crazy super-fades from whatever job they have.

To date I've been pretty good about staying back from the local denim scene, since I really don't have the knowledge to say that X is better than Y. I bought one pair of Levis-esque jeans so I could experiment horribly on them to see if anything interesting would happen to the color, and one pair at Chatuchak that seemed so nice I didn't particularly care where they came from. But it is hard to figure out if any of them are decent or not when one of the average Levis selvage knock-offs goes anywhere from 200-500 baht. For those prices I assume not, but like I said, I have no idea.

yeah i know exactly what you're talking about.

and it's kinda crazy, cause everyone is wearing selvage and everything is selvage (babies fake evisu denim jeans with red selvage lines). and like you pointed out about the prices of the fake levis, we know that the brand is definitely fake, but because im not tweedlesinpink I can't tell its real selvage or they just somehow managed to sew on a fake end to make it look selvage.

and i've heard crazy rumours about those "vintage" "levis" with "amazing fades" and where they actually come from. and if its true, its disgusting.

haha. i was at chatuchak afew days back and i saw this small booth selling levis redline and skinny jeans and vintage clothing. its pretty near "under dog bite" store. decent price for the skinny jeans but those levis redline look fake and the price was too good to be true too.

there is actually a store around siam centre and siam square that has authentic denim like skulls, sugarcanes and evisu. but i cant rmbr the name. came pass that store last dec.

A lot of the MBK/Siam stores seem to carry fakes and authentic pieces (mostly Evisu), so it's best to stay away. Tanner, Lee & Na is probably your best (and therefore priciest) bet. I didn't see any new (authentic) LVC or vintage in Chatuchak, but there was a cool place selling used vintage/LVC/whatever in section 16, on soi 5 or 6. Owner's name is Ta. Maybe not for everyone, since everything was 2nd hand, but the owner's really nice.

• 2 weeks later...

My family minus myself are going to Bangkok in a week, wouldn't mind getting pairs of jeans if they are legit. What brands and models (like Samurai, skulls etc) should I get them to look out for and where abouts. Cheers guys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Yes, the shop is there. The Yamanes are still there. The left side of the cubicle has the 2nd hand stuff and lots of China made Evisu, back wall, Yamane, 6-7 pairs. Wall to the right was most interesting, Samurai 5000WX, w35 L36, Limited with Take5, 5/40 stamped on a pocket bag. 2 pairs on Evisu No1, w40 L36, first pair has gulls one pocket light blue, one pink, coin pocket yellow. the other pair gulls pockets black and red. Yen, w33, lots of Japanese Levi's. Upper 2 rows filled with about 8 pairs of limited Evisus that they would not sell. They really would not.

Shop is not too difficult to find. the mall part of MBK is basically 2 lanes of booths. and then there are few short lanes that cross those 2 long corridors. 'Trenner, Lee & Na' is on one of those short little lanes. Just walk around, MBK has only 2 legit denim spots, you can't really miss it!

• 5 weeks later...

As a quick side note, I was at Tanner, Lee & Na again at MBK, and while some guy bought a pair of Yamane there, he strolled across the hallway to 'Dee Jeans' to get his pants hemmed, directly opposite Tanner, Lee & Na. Turns out they have a Union Special in there, and you can get a pair of jeans hemmed for 100 baht!

!! 100 baht is...peanuts. :eek:

i will be going back to bangkok later this month, it seems. would love to see you lot there--Largo and Analyst?

Hey! Just met up with Largo on Friday for lunch. Let me know when you're coming into town!

Largo, would you happen to have any hookups in bangkok for rolls of raw denim? Seeing how the quality of those fake levis/evisus are pretty good, a friend of mine was thinking of doing a line using that same type of denim. any info would be appreciated mate.

I haven't personally hunted the guy down, but there was someone who posted two or three times on SuFu who I guess fronted some of the Thai mills that makes selvage. The place was called Chawla Trading Company (warning: annoying music background), and I believe Mizanation actually visited their store front. Regardless, Suthee who posted here and works for them said they do small orders, and front most of the Thai denim companies. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the mills they work with is the one that makes fabric for the Levis and Evisu fakes.

I export fabrics out of Japan here.

I hear alot from my suppliers that left-over Japanese denim gets exported to Bangkok. Fabric wise you maybe buying real japanese denim but production wise probably not. Guessing some sweatshop making imitation Levis and Evisu are buying denim from Japan to make fake (imitation) denim one better than using Thai made denim.

Thing is... if they have the good eye and hands to make fakes, why don't they channel their brain juices into making something of their own originals using their own facilities? If they can make good enough fakes to fool the average eye, can't they make better originals of their own?

Thing is... if they have the good eye and hands to make fakes, why don't they channel their brain juices into making something of their own originals using their own facilities? If they can make good enough fakes to fool the average eye, can't they make better originals of their own?

I completely understand where you are coming from. But it's probably because profits are mostly what they care about, and fakes of already known brands would be easier to sell to the general thai public than an upstart local thai brand.