Post Your Pets!

corned beef

bdawg and dismal- too cute (nomo)

and for all the twenty-somethings out there with their own dogs:

does having a dog hold you back from doing a lot of daily things? Isn't it like having a kid? How about weekend getaways? I really want to get a dog but i have commitment issues. Im gonna have a lot of free time for the next few months so i figure i can be there for the most important part. Anything im overlooking?

does having a dog hold you back from doing a lot of daily things? Isn't it like having a kid? How about weekend getaways? I really want to get a dog but i have commitment issues. Im gonna have a lot of free time for the next few months so i figure i can be there for the most important part. Anything im overlooking?

dogs are like kids, you wake up early to walk em and feed em. You gotta rush home after work to walk em, feed em especially the first 2 years when their bladder and sphincter muscles arent so strong to hold it for more than 6 hours. When you travel you need day care\boarding which is like 70 a day where I am, most people arent gonna take a dog for yah but they'll watch your kids. Vet visits are like 70 bucks a pop min.

I would also say the most important thing if you are getting a dog is to understand the breed you are getting, first and foremost. If it's a high energy level dog (working dog or terrier), you are going to have to put in a considerable amount of work for the first few years and even still after they are an adult. If you get a lower energy dog your gonna have less work on your hands for sure. Either way the first 6-9 months is going to be a lot of work like DaBestSpoona said.

My dog is 11 pounds, and calm so I don't have a problem with getting people to watch him for long weekends, and even week long vacations. That is going to change with different breeds and temperaments. So like I said before I think the most important part is researching breeds that you want and such, and see how they will effect your life.

having a dog is NOT like having a kid. A dog will never steal money out of your wallet to buy drugs that are higher quality than the ones you get. A dog will never run away to elope with her first cousin who lives two towns over. A dog will never ask you where babies come from. A dog will never become a jehovahs witness and cut you out of her life. A dog will never steal your retirement income to buy a yacht and then sink it in a drunken rage off the coast of little cayman.

Insofar as you must feed, house, and clean up after a dog, yes it's similar to a kid. But having a dog is about 10,000 times easier than a human child.

having a dog is NOT like having a kid. A dog will never steal money out of your wallet to buy drugs that are higher quality than the ones you get. A dog will never run away to elope with her first cousin who lives two towns over. A dog will never ask you where babies come from. A dog will never become a jehovahs witness and cut you out of her life. A dog will never steal your retirement income to buy a yacht and then sink it in a drunken rage off the coast of little cayman.

cus dogs are smarter than that

clearly your identification of "commitment issues" answers for you.

having a dog (two, actually, but i have a live-in boyfriend so it's not so bad between the two of us) has made me way more responsible. i don't fuck off after work, because i know my pups need me. that also means no after-work get-togethers or dinners, or impromptu shopping sprees. (not without stopping at home first.) time management is key.

true, it does cut out a lot of options as far as "life experiences" — there will be no more idle backpacking sojourns to europe nor three week beach vacations in cuba, not unless my parents want to babysit a grouchy old man-dog and a baby t-rex, or i want to fork out $500 for a kennel service.

but then again, spending two weeks at the cottage on a river during the height of summer and going boating with your dogs is infinitely more fun than going without. and you come to love just going to a park and letting them roam off-leash.

that said, don't think you can get by in the puppy months by being home the bare minimum number of hours... dogs live to ten years (and in my case, 14 and going strong) if they are healthy. they are a long-term investment and there's nothing i fucking despise more than people who think they can own dogs but not take them for 1.5 hours of walks a day, every day, plus exercise, good nutrition and sufficient discipline on top of that. anything short of that creates dogs that exhibit aggression, separation anxiety, fearfulness, dominance, disobedience or any myriad of behaviour problems.

maybe i subscribe too much to the very involved, psychology-focused cesar millan school of thought on dog ownership, but 75% of dog owners i would classify as negligent in their ability to raise a proper, mentally and physically healthy dog because they just don't care enough.