Overrated movies that bother you due to their popularity

homi29

OK, im looking forward to curse of the golden flower.

Saw 300, thought it was terrible, just not at all engaging, all cliches and crap. The young girl who danced around in the sheer fabric was strange, I understand she was supposed to be the young nubile sort, .... I dont know what they were thinking but it was terrible and went on for too too long, ten seconds would have done the job, its lasted about a minute and felt like a bit of a sofcore interlude.

The narration really made me cringe, "no room for softness in a spartans heart" ha! "Bold and strong. Bold and strong is the spartans way..".

I know it wasnt meant to be but it really so so macho and cliche it felt camp.

That said, i really did only watch it for lena headley, mmmm.

Mel Gibson - I really really rate apocalypto and the passion of christ. Im looking forward to see what he does next. Its felt really refreshing to see a "ancient" film that didnt feel cheesy or cliche'd. I know people think his films are gore filled, they are and I think its understandable because the 2 civilisations hes dealt with so far were pretty extreme. To me I see his films as straight representations of these times, not underplayed or softened and not sensationalised or exaggerated.

The following deserve all the hype that they get and anyone who doesn't think so sucks:

Pulp Fiction

Reservoir Dogs

Oldboy

The Big Lebowski

In the Mood for Love

Snatch

Children of Men

Fuck Garden State, Napoleon Dynamite, Kill Bill, and Fahrenheit 9/11, and Crash, and 300 is overrated but wasn't a horrible movie.

Anyone who disagrees is wrong and has bad taste in movies.

come onnnn. i agree with most of what is being said here, especially garden state and v for vendetta irritated me. but its rediculous to say that anyone who likes those movies (quite a few people i believe!) have bad taste in movies.

come onnnn. i agree with most of what is being said here, especially garden state and v for vendetta irritated me. but its rediculous to say that anyone who likes those movies (quite a few people i believe!) have bad taste in movies.

i dont know, his list was pretty spot on except for crash

TIP Tarantinos Reservoir Dogs was a ground breaking film in the way it was constructed and also the way he used dialog. It was also a very low budget film. It had a huge impact on the way other directors started making films. Any time an artist can have that kind of impact on an art form its important.

frog and pops, i just watched reservoir dogs (for the first time ever, i'm ashamed of myself) and i have to agree. maybe it's my penchant for gangster films, or maybe it's my love of black comedy, but i liked reservoir dogs much better than pulp fiction (but then pulp fiction is pretty black too isn't it?). i do take back what i said about tarantino though...i definitely generalised without having seen enough of his stuff.

fucking awesome movie. sorry i'm so late on the train. :o

id love to watch scarface again, just to be able to better express why it sucks so much. but i cant put myself through pacinos accent, and i know if i throw it on, every 17 year old high school dropout in my neighborhood will be magnettically drawn to my living room.

but fuck scarface.

Babel is shit. As is 21 Grams, Short Cuts, Crash, and many other so called "films" that just shit all over the idea of a good story, in favor of a fractured reality where everyones lives intersect all the time for no good reason.

I don't understand the people who hate on movies like 300, Matrix, or LoTR. None of these things are meant to be high art or any kind of barometer for intellectualism. They're popular because they executed their core concepts well, and were for the most part, a pleasant surprise for audiences. Can you name 5 sci-fi movies more ambitious or better executed than the first Matrix? Can you do the same for LoTR with fantansy movies?

Half the movies listed in here are *niche* films which were produced from singular source material or represents the style of a kooky director. Saying Old Boy is overrated makes no sense since that film was practically never on the cultural radar. The only way you hear about something like that is from the minority whom it did appeal to, whereas 90% of the population would be offended/never watch it in the first place. You hate it? Welcome to the majority. The movie is still not overrated.

Honestly, the only movie that I did not enjoy upon first viewing, which then became popular to the point of bothering me, was Napoleon Dynamite. All the other stuff, like Garden State, Little Miss Sunshine, etc....had their own charm and I was happy to see them succeed in a field against movies like Big Mama's House and latter day Ben Stiller projects.

Edit: I also hate hate hate Scarface, but mostly because people treat Al Pacino's character like some latter day badass Jesus figure instead of an extremely sad and flawed man who met a miserable end that was entirely his own fault. I'm exasperated by the film's fans/misguided influence, and not the film itself, which is a distinction that I think a lot of you guys are not making.

Babel is shit. As is 21 Grams, Short Cuts, Crash, and many other so called "films" that just shit all over the idea of a good story, in favor of a fractured reality where everyones lives intersect all the time for no good reason.

this is true

Honest question, do these have to be movies we have seen and reject? Or just hate on general principle?

Cause i think either way its somewhat justifed based on the topic...

• 2 weeks later...
The following deserve all the hype that they get and anyone who doesn't think so sucks:

Pulp Fiction

Reservoir Dogs

Oldboy

The Big Lebowski

In the Mood for Love

Snatch

Children of Men

Fuck Garden State, Napoleon Dynamite, Kill Bill, and Fahrenheit 9/11, and Crash, and 300 is overrated but wasn't a horrible movie.

Anyone who disagrees is wrong and has bad taste in movies.

+1. I must say I liked the Kill Bills, but they're a guilty pleasure. I can understand why people don't.

Amelie .......

I'll fight you to the death