Overrated movies that bother you due to their popularity

homi29

Comments like "You guys are all fucking whack." should not be taken so seriously.

I was only addressing things in caps to emphasize my point (I was criticized for my inability to speak English.)

Anyways, postive repped around.

edit: I would rep your comment twice if I could designersheep.

i have to also put alot of speilbergs movies in there. his work is good, and he's an amazing filmmaker, but he always finds ways to ruin endings..

it pisses me off to no end

so im going to have to add minority report and AI

I have to totally agree here

minority report would have been a decent flick if they never woke his ass up at the end

i have beef with donnie darko becuase it has moments of brilliance and completely wastes any good social commentary it has the potential to make by trying to be "clever". the flip ending, the laughable sci-fi, the cheesy creepiness. it just reeks of film school. if it wasnt trying to be cool, it would actually be good.

also, i sometimes will enjoy a movie that forces you to accept the reality of the film so that the ending can work, but darko asked way to much from the veiwer. throwing in that trap door moment with barrymore was so fucking arbitrary and pointless, but then in the end, when the plot requires donnie to find a way into the old ladies house, he thinks 'trap door' and conveiniently theres an unlocked one 4 feet from him, and then (also conveiniently) his worst enemy happens to break into the same house moments later, and then (even more conveiniently) the old lady is outside going bananas which allows a car to manuver wildly and kill his homegirl.

that whole shit is so forced and inexplicable, its just poor storytelling. and all the time travel shit and bunny madness was way too over the top, it ruined that the film had alot to say about the state of parenting, families and child medication in suburbia. it had some good shit going for it and it fell flat on its face. but everyone loves it because it wows you in the end. its the epitome of what adaptation (an actual good film) mocks.

Guest itsmeJT
i have beef with donnie darko becuase it has moments of brilliance and completely wastes any good social commentary it has the potential to make by trying to be "clever". the flip ending, the laughable sci-fi, the cheesy creepiness. it just reeks of film school. if it wasnt trying to be cool, it would actually be good.

also, i sometimes will enjoy a movie that forces you to accept the reality of the film so that the ending can work, but darko asked way to much from the veiwer. throwing in that trap door moment with barrymore was so fucking arbitrary and pointless, but then in the end, when the plot requires donnie to find a way into the old ladies house, he thinks 'trap door' and conveiniently theres an unlocked one 4 feet from him, and then (also conveiniently) his worst enemy happens to break into the same house moments later, and then (even more conveiniently) the old lady is outside going bananas which allows a car to manuver wildly and kill his homegirl.

that whole shit is so forced and inexplicable, its just poor storytelling. and all the time travel shit and bunny madness was way too over the top, it ruined that the film had alot to say about the state of parenting, families and child medication in suburbia. it had some good shit going for it and it fell flat on its face. but everyone loves it because it wows you in the end. its the epitome of what adaptation (an actual good film) mocks.

to be honest if it didn't have all 'that bunny shit and time travel' then it would just be boring now wouldn't it. a story about overmedicated kids in suburbia, i definitely wouldnt fucking watch that.

hello........ batman! are you insane? i loved edward scissorhands as a kid too, after that its all bs.
Burton's Batman was better than Schumacher's. But that's not saying much.
also why the hate on tarantino? maybe there's a little to much hype, but all of his movies (apart from, from dusk till dawn) are so much fun. reservoir dogs was like cultpop said very influential and pulp fiction is very very good to, they're smart, funny and the dialogue's and soundtrack and editing are great. in short, never a dull moment.

and for kill bill, wasn't crappy b-movies one of the inspirations behind it and he just wanted to do a movie that would be a cross between that and spaghetti-westerns and martial arts cliches. that's exactly what i was, so he he accomplished what he wanted to do, and again, so much fun! kill bill 2 was pretty bad i'll agree on that.

When he goes for FUN he's good. But then there are tedious, excruciating movies like Jackie Brown, Kill Bill 2, and Death Proof that are devoid of F-U-N.

to be honest if it didn't have all 'that bunny shit and time travel' then it would just be boring now wouldn't it. a story about overmedicated kids in suburbia, i definitely wouldnt fucking watch that.

theres lots of movies about how fucked up kids are. and theres great movies about addiction and generational politics and youth alienation. kids, the graduate, requium for a dream, etc. they use honest storytelling or if they choose to dip into the surreal like requiem, its done in a way that doesnt insult the veiwer. darko was a slap in the face to anyone who knows how to watch a film. i know that sounds elitest, and i guess it toally is but thats how i see it. even american beauty, as convuluted as it was, made an entire plot around these themes without resorting to weirdness for the sake of shock value (maybe it did, but not as bad as darko).

if you think that the only reason darko was worth watching is because of the 'cool' sci fi bullshit and flip ending (and i dont REALLY have a problem with that), then i guess this thread is kind of about people like you and how the audience your a part of ruins what is supposed to be good cinema.

but ill totally give you the benifit of the doubt and assume that your just playing devil's advocate and helping me shit on an already dumb movie.

right?

The Departed

Crash

Fight Club

Those three are really well made bad movies. Subtract the good actors from each film, and you're left with horrible movies.

Oh god I forgot about Crash. Add that to my list, that movie was fucking terrible

whoever said V was on point

Also the departed was very disappointing to me, not scorceses best work for sure, esp when the source material has so much potential

Battle Royale is honest, no bullshit hollywood 'genetic-modifying', 'cybernetic-implanting' hokey expanation for why school kids beat the fuck outta one another

if you think that the only reason darko was worth watching is because of the 'cool' sci fi bullshit and flip ending (and i dont REALLY have a problem with that), then i guess this thread is kind of about people like you and how the audience your a part of ruins what is supposed to be good cinema.

haha, that right there is why i cant watch many movies with my ex girlfriend.

All Mel Gibson movies.

as i said before, passion of the christ. man without a face or whatever was decent though.

The first movie that comes to mind when I think "overrated" is Forrest Gump, which is unfair I know, because it is a great movie. I'm sorta bitter at the hype it generated over Pulp Fiction that year, winning the Best Picture Oscar over it. It's a great movie but in the historical perspective, Tarantino's film was a milestone in cinema history, groundbreaking, trend-setting, while Zemekis' film was merely a well-made, feel-good film.

The following deserve all the hype that they get and anyone who doesn't think so sucks:

Pulp Fiction

Reservoir Dogs

Oldboy

The Big Lebowski

In the Mood for Love

Snatch

Children of Men

Fuck Garden State, Napoleon Dynamite, Kill Bill, and Fahrenheit 9/11, and Crash, and 300 is overrated but wasn't a horrible movie.

Anyone who disagrees is wrong and has bad taste in movies.