Overrated movies that bother you due to their popularity

homi29

Juno and it wasn't even that good. Baby Mamma looks way better, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are badass.
I watched juno last night :( it was terrible. I had to watch a shitty cam of 21 to render my brain totally useless so I could go to sleep.
Juno and Napoleon Dynamite
Hell yeah. Juno annoyed me, mostly with how she spoke. I understand she's supposed to be witty, but it was still so artificial and annoyingly forced.
oh and juno sucked too
Sorry dude, Juno was unbelievably terrible. It was like Wes Anderson x Judd Apatow gone wrong. Tons of forced pop culture references and absurd, trite slang. Tried way too hard to be the 'anti-film.' Awful. Awful. Awful.
agreed, Juno sucked.

who the fuck actually thinks 300 is a good movie?

-And yeah, definitely Juno. I really have no idea if Ellen Page is actually talented because of how stilted this film was. She could have stood in front of a bank screen and recited Calvin Johnson lyrics to the achieve the same effect.
yeah juno sucked so much hairy nutsack...it was retarded how hard they tried to be alternative...
Juno

how can you hate? i dont think it was a particularly terrific movie, but the dialogue was pretty funny at times.

Oldboy is part of a body of work. I'd watch the rest of his "outlandish-revenge" films before judging too harshly. Its aspirations are NOT lofty.

Kill Bill are melting-pot-exploitation films. Cute cos you get it on a reference level, but it only adds to mass confusion (on a backward-step scale). I'd rather he just simply trickle the films he "discovers" to the public. Gotta admit though, casting Gordon Liu was absolutely class.

I agree that U.S. remakes are horrible, but wait...Traffic and The Departed are a couple of the better (outstanding even) examples.

lul @ Short Cuts and +rep. Horrible; I wonder what Raymond Carver thought of it.

This thread is a really bizarre showing of how truly nothing is holy.

With that said. Juno is hands down the WINNER of this thread. I can't imagine a MORE popular movie with SO little redeeming value. When I think of a bad movie, I think of a movie that didn't do it for me, it was boring, nothing happened. But the mere attempt to seem like an indie-film gone mainstream makes Juno SO SO SO much worse than that. And holy snap a lot of people like it. I'm actually convinced a little now that I think about it, that it's chicks only. I don't know ONE guy that likes that movie, and I swear every girl on the planet thinks it's amazing.

just wondering what version of Blade Runner people have been watching. Because I was always on the fence about that movie until I saw the final cut which was released a while ago. It's the only cut where ridley scott had no intereference and makes a lot more sense than any other version I've seen. It also doesn't have that annoying as fuck narration. I recommend people checking that version out.

With that said. Juno is hands down the WINNER of this thread. I can't imagine a MORE popular movie with SO little redeeming value.

I allowed/forced myself to enjoy watching juno the first time due to not wanting to diss the people I watched it with too much... but I think I enjoyed hating on it more (had a MST3000/roast/bash session about it later on)

Anyways one cannot ignore from first few sentences that the movie was a late-pass hipsterish circle-jerk, and found the following (from earlier in the year) a rather entertaining/accurate parody of Diablo Cody's much derided hipster-process:

HAY GAYZ CHECKOUT THE NEW DAKOTA CODY SCREENPLAAAYCASHCOOOOW

"Quotey, a dramedy about a brilliant-yet-spunky screenwriter who says what we all think but still faces persecution for her quirky ways"

quotey1smallmj8.jpg

BTW rereading it-- a christopher walken chia pet would actually be fuckin awesome.

It's rather obvious that it would be awesome for chiapetizing...

cwalkenne2.jpg

Oldboy is part of a body of work. I'd watch the rest of his "outlandish-revenge" films before judging too harshly. Its aspirations are NOT lofty.

Kill Bill are melting-pot-exploitation films. Cute cos you get it on a reference level, but it only adds to mass confusion (on a backward-step scale). I'd rather he just simply trickle the films he "discovers" to the public. Gotta admit though, casting Gordon Liu was absolutely class.

I agree that U.S. remakes are horrible, but wait...Traffic and The Departed are a couple of the better (outstanding even) examples.

lul @ Short Cuts and +rep. Horrible; I wonder what Raymond Carver thought of it.

sympathy for mr. revenge is not as good as oldboy

lady vengeance is an exceptionally good movie but not as good as oldboy

i suggest seeing all 3 before judging as well

any movie with Michael Cera.

he plays virtually the same character in every movie.

Yeah...this is very true. Only real departure for Cera (slight departure) was the Clark and Michael series... even then pretty similar.

Same unfunny shit is happening with Wil Arnett...anything he is in, or his unfunny wife Poehler is in, will assuredly be a pile of shit...

Tina Fey also sucks in everything she acts or writes...

sympathy for mr. revenge is not as good as oldboy

lady vengeance is an exceptionally good movie but not as good as oldboy

i suggest seeing all 3 before judging as well

Mostly I felt a sense of irreverence towards filmmakers who work as "auteurs" or within trilogies/themes, etc. Maybe I'm wrong but on that level they're great films, esp cos something interesting and engaging came of it.

Juno

Lord of the rings trilogy

Lost in translation

Crash

Surprisingly, i thought 300 was alrittteeee

Wtf Lord of the Rings was awesome. Considering where the adaptation could have gone I think those movies were spectacular.

Also lol @ Michael Cera backlash. Back when nobody watched him on Arrest Development all the bashers were on his dick.

Also lol @ Michael Cera backlash. Back when nobody watched him on Arrest Development all the bashers were on his dick.

It is because that character was funny in that show...this fucking "romantic comedy" klutz bullshit doesn't work for me...but I won't completely write him off yet. He is doing some comedy with JB that has a hilarious premise, I'll reserve final judgment until I see that

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

neg rep.

Forrest Gump.

Fuck that guy. I lol'd irl when that bastard got hit in the head with the rock.

Lt. Dan was pretty dope though. Gettin his swerve on in his wheelchair with hookers. Also, soundtrack was good.

forrest gump beat the shit out of everyone who fucked with jenny. he was amazing at ping pong, he ran for like a year straight, he was in Nam fighting so that you could still own a home...fuck YOU.

Wtf Lord of the Rings was awesome. Considering where the adaptation could have gone I think those movies were spectacular.

i agree that LOTR was pretty awesome, although the 97 endings of the last movie could've been cut. peter jackson might be a decent director, but for some reason no one takes a pair of scissors to his moves.

Michael Cera in itself is not awful, and he was funny in superbad, because it was actually a funny movie. Juno was a spectacular shitfest written by people who are out of touch with youth, and i'm certain nick and nora will follow. he's typecasting himself in the worst way. fuck his agent.

Mostly I felt a sense of irreverence towards filmmakers who work as "auteurs" or within trilogies/themes, etc. Maybe I'm wrong but on that level they're great films, esp cos something interesting and engaging came of it.

I just like how they are all of the same theme but do not connect in a linear way really at all. Good films indeed though.