Overrated movies that bother you due to their popularity

homi29

eraserhead

lynch in general

ERASERHEAD!!! Thank you! Dear Gawd! I can appreciate the view that merely evoking feelings (such as dread and suicidal doubt) is enough to stand as a work of art.

But couldn't Lynch have just done an installation or crappy series of paintings. That way I wouldn't have to listen to film school wannabees who just grew out thinking seven and fight club were the greatest movies ever made ride this film's dick.

Sorry dude, Juno was unbelievably terrible. It was like Wes Anderson x Judd Apatow gone wrong. Tons of forced pop culture references and absurd, trite slang. Tried way too hard to be the 'anti-film.' Awful. Awful. Awful.

yeah juno sucked so much hairy nutsack...it was retarded how hard they tried to be alternative...

Sorry dude, Juno was unbelievably terrible. It was like Wes Anderson x Judd Apatow gone wrong. Tons of forced pop culture references and absurd, trite slang. Tried way too hard to be the 'anti-film.' Awful. Awful. Awful.

Well said.

I'd be shocked if these weren't already said, but to reiterate:

Kill Bill

Juno

Donnie Darko

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Also, my guilty pleasure is Borat. It's been done to fucking death, but I still love doing it. Even though doing impressions ironically is lame, I can't help myself.

Going off IMDB top 100...

Lord of the Rings (2 in top 20? Fuck!)

Fight Club

Pan's Labyrinth

Requiem for a Dream

p.s. - Garden State KILLED it for what it is, a Hollywood flick trying to for indie cred in the vein of the OC soundtracks. Great movie, awful for getting half of my high school to listen to The Shins

Well said.

I'd be shocked if these weren't already said, but to reiterate:

Kill Bill

Juno

Donnie Darko

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Also, my guilty pleasure is Borat. It's been done to fucking death, but I still love doing it. Even though doing impressions ironically is lame, I can't help myself.

I was gonna go after Sunshine too but I felt did enough bitchin' about Eraserhead. I sure am glad someone did though. Gondry's fun time, quirky camera tricks and painfully obvious metaphors didn't help what I'm sure was a perfectly fine Kaufman script.

Giant prosthtic hands and dancing stuffed animals are no substitute for solid film making fundamentals and making choices that serve the story.

I only could think of Wong Kar Wai last 3 movies, In The Mood For Love, 2046 and My Blueberry Nights. Despite internationally acclaimed and winning awards for the 1st 2 mentioned above, personally I find it a complete recycle of his earlier, much more superior directorial output, quite a self-mastubatory exercise by someone I once put as my top 3 fav directors of all time.

Guest chemi

Crash

Seriously, how the fuck people can like the movie is beyond me. Weak hollywood attempt at addressing race and America without sinking its teeth into any real issues. Guess it really shows how disconnected people are with contemporary social/race relations aside from what they see on tv or the movie screen.

do the right thing

Back this up.

anything jon wooooo made in the US is pretty much a promise of a let down of former goodness.

I dunno about that. Face/Off is great because its done in the retarded over the top HK style.

• 5 months later...
Crash

Seriously, how the fuck people can like the movie is beyond me. Weak hollywood attempt at addressing race and America without sinking its teeth into any real issues. Guess it really shows how disconnected people are with contemporary social/race relations aside from what they see on tv or the movie screen.

x100000000000

Juno and it wasn't even that good. Baby Mamma looks way better, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are badass.

Hell yeah. Juno annoyed me, mostly with how she spoke. I understand she's supposed to be witty, but it was still so artificial and annoyingly forced.

Blade Runner overrated. Ha... I turned you red.

The Shawshank Remdemption is overrated.

Movies like 300 may be popular but I don't think anyone is really putting it up on a pedestal and saying it's an all-time classic.

Shawshank, however, is the #1 movie of all-time according to IMDB. I mean, come on.