films you're looking forward to seeing

did you watch minna esper dayo

i broke my jdrama cherry this year (not this one) but it's not bad

haha nah i didn't.  haven't watched a jdrama in 4ever.  should i watch everybody is a mindreader or everybody has esp?  if u think i'd like it i will give it a shot.  maybe watch it with my japanese bitch

re Old-boy remake:

in my opinion, the Korean film, while it has some superfluous and goofy stylistic flourishes, adds a surprising depth to the parental/filial guilt -theme that is at the core of many Asian films. 

Spike Lee used to be an alright filmmaker and I actually like Josh Brolin in the role, but I just detest the shot-by-shot US-remakes. It's obvious that Hollywood is starving for new material - there's only so many comic book and toy-franchises to turn into blockbusters - but remaking a film 1:1 with Western actors is just cynical.

If it's already been done just appreciate it and leave it alone. Chances are (as with The Departed) that the end result is just a dumbed down imitation with little merit on its own.