Texas Cotton:

emaze

So far my dealings with wearing Texas cotton denim has been nothing but incredible.

Samurai models using Texas cotton:

SO500XX (own a pair and have been wearing nonstop)

SO510XX limited edition (slimmer fit then the SO500XX)

SO553XX jacket Type 3 one wash (just tried on this week, and will be my next pickup)

Is the Type 3 jacket as slubby as the jeans :confused:

Yes it is, with the silver selvedge...

i thought the 510 was bigger than the 500? i love texas cotton as well

sorry about that I think you're right I was thinking of the SO505XX & S710XX fit.

can anyone confirm on the skulls 5010 6x6 using texas cotton? cause these are not slubby at att.. never seen texas cotton jeans before... thinking of getting me another pair of sammies s0500xx.. hmmmm..

Samurai's stuff (at least the 0500XX and 0510XX) has more to it than simply using Texas cotton.

"The S0510XX uses 100% Texas cotton which is famous for being a "rough" cotton due to it's high amount of short fibers. Normally, the short fibers are removed to make a smoother fabric, but Samurai adds more short cotton fibers to make the yarn even rougher. The result is a yarn that is highly uneven in size, making the woven fabric very "slubby" (irregular)."

I think Samurai's stuff is going to be fairly different than other brands using Texas cotton.

"The S0510XX uses 100% Texas cotton which is famous for being a "rough" cotton due to it's high amount of short fibers. Normally, the short fibers are removed to make a smoother fabric, but Samurai adds more short cotton fibers to make the yarn even rougher. The result is a yarn that is highly uneven in size, making the woven fabric very "slubby" (irregular)."

it's interesting how the same roughness seems to be what many farmers are trying to avoid:

We have both the earliest and the latest harvested cotton in the U.S. We have some of the finest extra long staple cotton and some of the lowest coarse-count cotton in the world.

Central and North Texas

This is a large cotton area, scattered all over the central and northern portions of Texas. Total production was about 168,900 bales last season, although expected to be less this year. The harvest period runs from September until November/December. As to quality this area formally produced medium to short staple cotton, but now, the staple is 1.1/16" and longer.

http://www.storesonline.com/members/417921/download/CCI%20CHINA%202005%20-%20booklet.pdf

I have nothing to add about the jeans but the first time I saw a field of cotton all ready to be picked was in north/central Texas. I stopped just to look at it. The first cotton I'd ever seen on the plant, it was really neat. I stole a branch with the bolls on it and took it home to show my wife. Then I mailed it to my father in law so he could show his pre-school class cotton on the plant. I still think about it when thinking about my clothes. It's sort of like knowing the cow that your burger came from. Cotton is a very cool plant/fabric.

im sorry but can we stop getting all emotional about out father or grandfathers picking texas cotton? we are just clarifying what other jeans use texas cotton on their models.. nothing more.. pls make your own thread if thats your issue... and pls stop selling your texas cotton here.. hehehehe

p.s. i still lauighing my ass off right now tip! hahahhaa

Did you know that large part of the Texas cotton is genetically altered. I don't know what people here think about these things but I'm generally against it. If the cotton is altered by manipulating its genetics, adding something that shouldn't be there. It is more resistant to diseases and resistant to some pests, it should also yield more crops... Is it real cotton anymore? You have these nice repro jeans that are made of some unnatural fibres. It says "100% cotton" in your jeans but mine are "100% REAL cotton"!

jesus christ... whats wrong with the members these days?? ^^^^

When I was a kid we raised cows and pigs and chickens and ate them.

Friends had sheep and sheared them once a year.

We grew a lot of our own food.

I'm pretty connected to most of the organic things in my life and understand them from personal experience.

Cotton was something that I used evey single day since the day I was born. It has a very significant history in the US being one of the main financial reasons for slavery and the Civil war and one of the reasons that the US was even economically able to break free from England. Becasue of where I grew up I had never seen a cotton plant. It may not mean shit to you but that cotton field was probably the last significant personal connection I had between the agricultural world and my life.

You may think it idiotic but it was damn cool to me and it didn't happen until my mid 20's.

Go ahead and continue laughing at me, I don't give a shit.

I'm pretty connected to most of the organic things in my life and understand them from personal experience.

Cotton was something that I used evey single day since the day I was born. It has a very significant history in the US being one of the main financial reasons for slavery and the Civil war and one of the reasons that the US was even economically able to break free from England. Becasue of where I grew up I had never seen a cotton plant. It may not mean shit to you but that cotton field was probably the last significant personal connection I had between the agricultural world and my life.

You may think it idiotic but it was damn cool to me and it didn't happen until my mid 20's.

I HAVE TO DO IT:

THIS POST IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES!

familyman - yeah, i think without having actually seen the field, "texas cotton" exists merely as a phrase...in the same way the denim mill is really the only way to figure out how denim goes from yarn to bolt.

huh? I thought this thread was about discussing texas cotton.

Just curious, I heard that cotton grown in texas was sourced from plants in zimbabwe (for the high level of ELS strands or something). If that's the case, wouldn't the cotton be more smoother, or is it just up to how it is spun into thread.