kiya

Baseball Talk

I'm not complaining, looking forward to the Giants having home field advantage again the world series.

This isn't gonna exactly work out.

whos the NL cy young winner?

whos the NL cy young winner?

hate to say this

but if Felix got it last year in the AL with his record and team record.. then Kershaw should get it this year.

AL this year is probably the easiest in a very long time

Ian Kennedy?

AL Cy Young easily goes to Verlander, but I've also heard rumblings about him as an MVP candidate; should either be him or Granderson for that.

World Series-wise, my early prediction is Milwaukee and Detroit with Milwaukee winning in six games and Braun winning MVP. Tony Plush will also start at least one brawl.

you can't give MVP to pitchers though? and justin verlander isn't a pitcher so he can't get a cy young then right? unless I'm missing something and the AL lets its pitchers hit if they're really really good

I know Eckersley is the only pitcher to win both Cy Young and MVP as a closer. The MVP award goes to the best player for the respective league, regardless of position. It's just a rare occurrence for pitchers.

the year the Eck won both, he was crazy good. those were the days as an A's fan

Idk, mang. Mariano has had a couple of seasons that were equal, if not better than Eckersley's run, but doesn't even have a single Cy Young to show for it. Definitely shows the change of times.

To do it all in one park with essentially one pitch. Still take him over Eck any day.

Idk, mang. Mariano has had a couple of seasons that were equal, if not better than Eckersley's run, but doesn't even have a single Cy Young to show for it. Definitely shows the change of times.

To do it all in one park with essentially one pitch. Still take him over Eck any day.

in 1990 Eck had an ERA of 0.60 with 48 saves and that wasnt his award winning year.

dont think Mariano can say the same

Mariano's post-season career spans 100+ innings with an ERA of .71 against the best teams of the respective years. That's even better as far as I'm concerned.

in 1990 Eck had an ERA of 0.60 with 48 saves and that wasnt his award winning year.

dont think Mariano can say the same

you're a fucking idiot. mariano's postseason era -- spanning 15 seasons and 31 series -- is 0.71. that's phenomenal. anyone who knows anything about baseball knows mariano's the greatest closer in the history of the game.

stick to posting countless images of women you will never have sex with, you big big fucking moron. no hate though.

in other news, red sox lost again today. haha.

postscript to the above -- i just checked eck's postseason era, morons. it's 3.0.

Mo not the greatest? LOL, bro, lettuce be cereal

i thought the discussion was about pitchers winning the CY young and MVP. if thats the case then no Mariano has never had a regular season statistical season better than Eck that would justify winning the MVP. since last i checked regular seasonal awards arent based on post season accomplishments then i still stand by that.

I dont deny Mariano being the best of all time and post season statistics are going to lean towards Mariano being the best relief pitcher of all time. Kirk Gibson took away any chance of Eck having a better ERA than Rivera and in the end Rivera has more rings. should Mariano have a postseason MVP? the case can be made for that if he doesnt have one. i stopped paying any real attention to baseball after Rickey Henderson left the A's the second time around

why is this even a discussion, only a moron would compare the two. Eck was good, sometimes great. Mo IS THE GREATEST, end of story.

p.s. baseball awards are skewed anyway, gold gloves being the least indicative of how good a player truly is.

"When I was inducted into the Hall of Fame, I was told that I had 53 saves with seven-plus outs. I was told that Mariano had one and Trevor Hoffman had two. So, I think that says it in a nutshell.”

-goose

"Best closer" is probably the hardest "best xxxx" to decide on. It's a relatively new position and has changed so much over the years. The shut it down ninth inning closer is something that you can argue didn't come around 'till the late 80s/early 90s with Eckersley.

Still 600 saves isn't anything to dismiss. Neither is a career WHIP of 1.000 and an 8.2 K/9. Also being one of the most important players of the Torre-Jeter-Girardi Era Yankees.

Well Phils just clinched 5th straight NL East title, oh boy can't wait for another parade on Broad Street.

^Your lack of punctuation implies an enthusiasm level about as strong as the Phils' over the last five games.

Or stealing home[field adv.]. Seriously though they have a week to find themselves and then I feel like the cardinals are going to be knocking on their door again in the playoffs! Braves be choking

only thing worse then phillies winning another WS would be the Eagles winning a Super Bowl

Hopefully that will never some to pass in my lifetime