Baseball Talk

kiya

Guest No Handclaps Please

pudge is going to be loved in NY, no doubt about that. farnsworth has good stuff, he just needs work, something, idk. i think he has raw talent. maybe a change of scenery will really let him mature as a pitcher.

sounds like manny talk is heating up.

I really don't think the Red Sox will trade Manny, and here's why...

Having Manny in your lineup, even with all the baggage that comes with him, makes your team better. He offers protection to Ortiz and is a pure hitter. The Red Sox will not get equal value for him if they trade him. Not to mention that the Sox will have to pay nearly all of the $7 million Manny is owed in order for a team to take him.

Also, if Manny plays the rest of the season with the Sox and then becomes a free agent, the Red Sox get two sandwich picks after the first round. If they trade him now, they don't get those prospects.

To summarize, the Sox options are:

1) Trade Manny and $7m for an average replacement outfielder and a prospect or two.

or

2) Keep Manny till the end of the season, let him walk. Sign (or trade for) a new left fielder, and get two compensatory draft picks.

I know the Red Sox are miffed at Manny to say the least, but Theo's not dumb enough to trade him just to get him out of Boston.

good points. spoken like a real fan.

also will be surprised if marlins, out of any organization, will actually pay manny what manny wants. their entire roster only makes about as much as he makes.

but you never know if something else happens right before the deadline?

good points. spoken like a real fan.

also will be surprised if marlins, out of any organization, will actually pay manny what manny wants. their entire roster only makes about as much as he makes.

but you never know if something else happens right before the deadline?

Well, the speculation is that the Red Sox would pay nearly all of Manny's salary even while he plays for the Marlins just so they can rid themselves of him. Also, the terms of the deal would require the Marlins not to excercise Manny's options so that he can become a free agent at the end of the year. They'd be free to offer Manny a contract just like any other team in the league, but unlikely to do so because of their small market status and historical spending patterns. Basically, the Marlins would pay Manny nearly nothing and would only have to give up a outfielder and a prospect or two in exchange for a couple months of Manny's bat. The Red Sox would be damn fools to do that trade. But if your a Marlins fan it looks really good! Especially considering they're in the playoff hunt.

I wonder if the Sox are talking to the Marlins to spark the Mets to do a trade. Perhaps Minaya will try to block a trade to the Marlins, who at this point are certainly contenders in the NL East, by trading for Manny. I think the Sox would be more interested in what the Mets have to offer.

we got pudge we got pudge we got pudge!

Farnsworth and Girardi crying, crazy.

ESPN.com reported that the Red Sox would have to kick in money to help the Marlins pay the remainder of Ramirez's 2008 salary, and that they would want outfielder Jeremy Hermida or Josh Willingham back in the deal, as well as unspecified pitchers.

A Major League source told MLB.com that the trade could involve a third team, the Pirates, and outfielder Jason Bay could wind up in Boston with Hermida going to Pittsburgh.

Bay is hitting .284 with 22 homers and 62 RBIs, numbers that are very comparable to Ramirez's (.301, 20, 68).

-mlb.com

This is most likely, Hermida is a lefty, we need Bay's right hand behind Ortiz and in front of Drew.

I wonder if the Sox are talking to the Marlins to spark the Mets to do a trade. Perhaps Minaya will try to block a trade to the Marlins, who at this point are certainly contenders in the NL East, by trading for Manny. I think the Sox would be more interested in what the Mets have to offer.

Minaya can just overpay in the offseason.

A 3 team deal between the Red Sox, Marlins, and Pirates seems like it would be beneficial to all.

-The Red Sox get rid of Manny and get a very good (not Manny level) outfielder in Jason Bay, who as it happens is signed through 2009, which means they would have a LF for next season and could sign Holliday in the following offseason.

-The Marlins get Manny who would help them considerably during their playoff race with the Phillies and Mets. Also, Manny's remaining salary would likely be picked up by the Sox.

-The Pirates can dump Bay's salary and get a young, cheap outfielder with a lot of upside in Hermida.

This 3 way deal seems pretty interesting and pretty likely. Still, I can't imagine the Red Sox without Manny's bat. He's one of the greatest right handed hitters of all time, but I think he's finally done in Boston. Not really sure what Manny wanted. The fans love him, he makes the most money on the team, the management and coaches excuse his behavior and at time lackadaisical effort. What more could you ask for? Oh, that's right a new 4 year/ $100 million contract. Get lost!

Oh Shit!

"Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus says the Red Sox, Pirates and Marlins have agreed to a three-team Manny Ramirez deal, pending Ramirez waiving his no-trade clause and league approval.

Carroll, not normally one of our preferred sources, has the Red Sox getting Jason Bay and John Grabow; the Marlins acquiring Ramirez, cash and a prospect from the Red Sox and the Pirates picking up Jeremy Hermida, two prospects from the Marlins and one from Boston. "

Oh Shit!

"Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus says the Red Sox, Pirates and Marlins have agreed to a three-team Manny Ramirez deal, pending Ramirez waiving his no-trade clause and league approval.

Carroll, not normally one of our preferred sources, has the Red Sox getting Jason Bay and John Grabow; the Marlins acquiring Ramirez, cash and a prospect from the Red Sox and the Pirates picking up Jeremy Hermida, two prospects from the Marlins and one from Boston. "

so when will you be starting your GM career? haha

Surprise surprise.......

The News

The Mets have publicly denied interest in Manny Ramirez, but Dan Graziano of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that officials from both teams say the Mets have contacted the Red Sox about acquiring the pouting slugger. The Mets are reluctant to part with a top-flight prospect, though, which obviously hinders a potential deal.

Our View

It's very unlikely the Sox will trade Manny anywhere, but the Mets seem likely the most likely destination should it happen.

This would be the worst thing ever.

i agree. involving the pirates and manny's no trade clause might hold things up, but i think it'll get done.

being a yankees fan, i can't wait to see one of the best right handed sluggers go. on the other hand, it's kinda depressing to see the sox lose some character and personality... from damon a while back and now manny. seems like they're turning the club into a bunch of uptight white dudes. at least they still have papi, one of the few sox i really respect.

and yeah, it's still only july, almost august, but i still wouldn't wanna face the angels in october.. they've got a really good club and tex definitely helps them.

i agree. involving the pirates and manny's no trade clause might hold things up, but i think it'll get done.

being a yankees fan, i can't wait to see one of the best right handed sluggers go. on the other hand, it's kinda depressing to see the sox lose some character and personality... from damon a while back and now manny. seems like they're turning the club into a bunch of uptight white dudes. at least they still have papi, one of the few sox i really respect.

and yeah, it's still only july, almost august, but i still wouldn't wanna face the angels in october.. they've got a really good club and tex definitely helps them.

I believe Manny told them that he would waive his no trade, he's already let everyone know he wants out and lives in Florida...

Manny leaving is going to be an end of an era in Boston, and is one thing that I will really be sad about, I like the professionalism of the guys on the team now, but I really do worry that they will have no personality. "the Idiots" of '04 were broken up very quickly and ever since it seems like the team has become more and more uptight..not a knock on any of the players, but I will miss the dreads and beards and petting of heads. I guess Manny is just a hanger on from the age of being the team of quirky underdogs. End of an era...

I think this deal will go to tomorrow afternoon, from what I can gather the fish and Sox are haggling over a prospect to go with #24, I bet they want Bowden those bastards.

I'm sure they want Bowden, but there's no way Theo's giving him up.

Everyone knows the Red Sox want to get rid of Manny so they don't have much trade leverage, but Theo's not dumb enough to trade Manny and Bowden for Bay and Grabow.

I think the trade likely involves 2-3 mid-level prospects, and I'm guessing one of them will be Bard.

awesome...in 2001.

He puts up john jaha like number now.

Rumor is more moves are in the works for the Chi Sox.

Kenny is the Ninja GM - no one sees or hears anything, all of a sudden, movement.

-Jake