Baseball Talk

kiya

Kenshin Kawakami Prefers Red Sox?

RotoWorld has done some translating of a Japanese Associated Press article. They learned that Japanese righty Kenshin Kawakami reportedly prefers the Red Sox as his 2009 destination (he'll be a free agent). The translation notes that the Yankees and Mets have scouted Kawakami.

Back in November of 2007, I asked Aaron Shinsano and Jackson Broder of East Windup Chronicle for a profile on Kawakami, among others. Here's what they wrote:

Kenshin Kawakami - Japan's highest paid starter for the champion Chunichi Dragons (he made around $3MM) mixes a fastball, cutter, and curveball. His fastball runs around 87 and his curve is very slow. He's known as a big game pitcher and always challenges hitters. He was 12-8 with a 3.55 ERA in 2007, but the K/BB ratio was an appealing 6.3 in 167 2/3 IP. He's a HR prone strikeout pitcher. Kawakami has been healthy for the past four seasons.

-from mlbtraderumors.com

Oh and:

The RAYS are a game away from sweeping the Yankees, and have the best winning percentage in the AL!?!?!?!? I think they will be better next year too- Wildcard good....

^True true, and if I think about what's in the dogs to begin with...

Hank is great, a never-ending source of amusement, Im suprised he hasn't had Cooperstown remove the NY from Goose Gossage's plaque for criticizing Joba. I see Cashman heading to Philly next season and a new puppet regime installed.

I <3 Manny. 4 More Years!

lol, ppl in cleveland loved manny too. i was watching some sports channel (not sure what it was) and they asked him a question about his homer status, his response:

"It feels good, but I'm not counting," Ramirez said. "I know I've got like two more to go, but I'm not thinking about it. It's not up to me. I'm not driving a car, where I can go left and right. I don't know."

lol, are you serious?

March 20, 2008

Yankees To Build Stadiums In Every MLB City For Away Games

NEW YORK—Yankee officials announced plans Monday to construct state-of-the-art, multimillion-dollar Yankee Stadium replicas in every MLB city, allowing Yankee players to experience the same first-class amenities and home-field advantage they currently enjoy during the other 81 games of the season. "The New York Yankees are a proud, venerable franchise that should never have to be subjected to artificial turf, domes, other teams' logos, or anything unfamiliar or unfavorable," said president Hank Steinbrenner, noting that the new Yankee Stadium scheduled to open in 2009 is so beautiful and spacious that it would be a waste to only use it for half a season. "Each of the 29 new Yankee Stadiums will feature Yankee Stadium's signature white upper-deck façade as well as the historic Monument Park, and all games played in them will count as Yankee home games, as 51,000 Yankee fans will be bussed in from New York to attend them." The Yankees also plan to build Yankee Stadiums in every single international city just in case Major League Baseball ever decides to hold their season opener there.

http://origin.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/yankees_to_build_stadiums

JASON GIAMBI WEARS GOLD THONG FOR LUCK: REPORT

May 16, 2008 --

Baseball players are legendary for their superstitions, but Jason Giambi's technique for snapping a batting slump may rank among the strangest : He puts on a gold lame, tiger-striped thong.

"I only put it on when I'm desperate to get out of a big slump," he told Portfolio.com

Giambi has shared his slump-breaker with other Yankees, including Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams, Johnny Damon, Robin Ventura and Robinson Cano.

"All of them wore it and got hits," he said. "The thong works every time."

Clearly, Giambi could use a little help from the golden thong about now. As the Yankees continue to sputter heading into their Subway Series against the equally sluggish Mets, Giambi is hitting .188.

But Giambi, in the final season of a seven-year, $120 million contract, said he doesn't listen to booing by the crowds at Yankee Stadium.

"I never hear the boos because I'm too busy booing myself," he told Portfolio.com. "No critic is worse on me than me. I can beat myself up pretty good."

-NYPost

Cano is wearing them now, I bet.

I'm going to my first major league game on Wednesday. It's the yankees, much to my dismay, but it's my graduation present. I really can't wait, because of the fact that it's also gonna start the stadium tour that me and my father are going to do over the next couple of years.

I'm going to my first major league game on Wednesday. It's the yankees, much to my dismay, but it's my graduation present. I really can't wait, because of the fact that it's also gonna start the stadium tour that me and my father are going to do over the next couple of years.

good for you dude....have fun and i hope you get hooked on games.

edit:

Lester's got a no-no thru 8......

Thought this was interesting:

Adjust your pinstripes: When people talk about the decline of the Yankees' offense, they seem to focus on the absence of A-Rod and Jorge Posada or wonder why other guys haven't hit. But scouts who have followed the Yankees keep pointing out that's not their only issue. They've also dramatically changed their offensive MO under Joe Girardi.

Two years ago (under Joe Torre), they stole 139 bases. Last year, they stole 123. This year, they have fewer steals (16) than Jacoby Ellsbury -- and they've been thrown out 11 times. So at this rate, they'll threaten the biggest one-year stolen-base dropoff in the history of the franchise -- from 123 to 56.

"The only way they score runs now is on home runs," said one scout. "They have trouble running and manufacturing any kind of runs. They're very station to station. Not a very athletic team."

Also, instant replay?!?! I like the idea if only for HR calls and nothing else, Ive seen a few HRs at Fenway that were called doubles cause the wall is too tall and there is a weird ledge up there... Trot Nixon got thrown out of a game he wasn't even playing in one time arguing, one of the funniest things Ive seen. And Arod looked like he was going to cry the other night.

I've gone back and forth on the instant replay thing.

Last year J.D. Drew got robbed of a homerun when the umps called his ball that hit off the ledge atop the Green Monster (which is a HR) a double. Imagine if the umps hadn't reversed that call during the 2004 ALCS when Bellhorn hit a homer in NY? The Red Sox would have likely not gone on to win the WS. When a call goes the wrong way against your team you're all for instant replay.

Even still, I don't think I'd like instant replay in baseball. Baseball is such a beautiful game, I wouldn't want the human element to be replaced by video technology. And say they do implement instant replay, why stop there? Why not take away the homeplate umpire and use the strikezone box they have on broadcast games? Sure it'd be more fair and consistent, but a bit boring, no?

The umps get the calls right nearly all the time. Will they blow a call every now and then? Sure, but that's part of the game.

I grew up on Cape Cod and got to watch the Cape Cod Baseball League every summer. One of the best things about those games is how pure it is. No video scoreboards, no music, no luxury suites. Just great baseball.

I think instant replay would go against baseball's tradition. But that's just me.