Baseball Talk

kiya

EC, I think that is why Schilling is scheduled to go 3rd, cause he would be the deciding pitcher in game 7. But I think you are right, I'd rather have the momentum with a possible Schilling win a home, Tito has already shown he is going for the win and will pull Dicek early if he has to, I would be fine with the bullpen going in to get the job done.

Well, Schilling has already been bumped up to no. 2.

I think Daisuke will be fine, but if he struggles, the Sox can put in Lester. Lester hasn't been great, as one of his major flaws is his inability to keep his pitch count low. But, if he's pitching 1 or 2 games from the pen, I don't think pitch count will be a concern at all.

I still don't feel comfortable with Gagne in anything other than a mop-up role.

Now the new rules let the Yankees add to their pen when they took Clemens out, is it completely insane to think there is a possibility that Buchholz could pitch #4 then be pulled with "shoulder fatigue" and then they could put Wake or Lester in the rotation or pen...

[/conspiracy theory]

I was thinking about this today, I think it's true, I root for them to lose a lot and they win a lot, maybe it is my fault.

i distinctly remember when red sox was down 0-3 against the yankees on their way to winning the world series, sports guy on espn, a die-hard sox fan, wrote an article that said something like, i had a revelation! i'm a yankees fan. i'm tired of rooting for the sox.

i swear the yankee collapse was all his fault. to his liking, too.

hawkeye, eastcoastrider -> the sox are gonna be in for a long ALCS. Im saying Bo sox in 6, but you never know. You got CC going up against Beckett, probably Carmona against Schilling, etc.. Plus the big bats of the Cleveland Indians with a stellar outfield, it's definately going to be a good series..

hawkeye, eastcoastrider -> the sox are gonna be in for a long ALCS. Im saying Bo sox in 6, but you never know. You got CC going up against Beckett, probably Carmona against Schilling, etc.. Plus the big bats of the Cleveland Indians with a stellar outfield, it's definately going to be a good series..

Undoubtedly.

The Indians are good, but they have some weaknesses. Their rotation is front loaded. Westbrook and Byrd are very beatable, and Borowski is one of the worst closers in baseball, even though he saved 45 games.

Red Sox will have to play as well against the Indians as they did against the Angels to win this thing.

As a Red Sox fan, I'd be more than happy with that.

Zito seems washed up. If you can't cut it in the NL, then you might as well hang up the cleats.

And if the Yankees took on Zito's salary they couldn't sign Santana.

But I don't think George would be stupid enough to take on Zito's monster contract.

if they take the series again, do you think it will be as exciting this time around as a few years back? it's almost lost it's appeal simply because the yank's are out now

if they take the series again, do you think it will be as exciting this time around as a few years back? it's almost lost it's appeal simply because the yank's are out now

Nothing will be as exciting as the '04 series, because the Red Sox had to come back from 3-down against the Yankees, and then swept the Cards to win their first WS in 86 years.

That said, this is still exciting. Just because the Yankees aren't in it, doesn't diminish the level of excitement. The two best teams in the AL are facing each other in the ALCS. The Red Sox proved in '04 that they can beat the Yankees in the playoffs, and now it's time for a new competitor. Perhaps from a ratings standpoint, or to a casual fan, this won't be as good of a series as a Red Sox/Yankees series, but I can tell you that people in New England are definitely psyched for this.

Fucking Gagne! It's going to be a big weight lifted off a lot of fans when that guy packs up his shit at the end of the season.

Poly, this has been such a great season and (if they do win) it would be the perfect end. I gotta agree with eastcoastrider in that 04 was the peak of excitement for Sox fans, but Boston is a town where the Sox are #1 even with a football dynasty, the Red Sox will always be the talk of the town. The Sox just never get old or less exciting even when they are winning. And I personaly would have rather faced the Yanks, not because of any rivalry, just cause I think Cleveland is a tougher team to face.

Nothing will be as exciting as the '04 series, because the Red Sox had to come back from 3-down against the Yankees, and then swept the Cards to win their first WS in 86 years.

That said, this is still exciting. Just because the Yankees aren't in it, doesn't diminish the level of excitement. The two best teams in the AL are facing each other in the ALCS. The Red Sox proved in '04 that they can beat the Yankees in the playoffs, and now it's time for a new competitor. Perhaps from a ratings standpoint, or to a casual fan, this won't be as good of a series as a Red Sox/Yankees series, but I can tell you that people in New England are definitely psyched for this.

Fucking Gagne! It's going to be a big weight lifted off a lot of fans when that guy packs up his shit at the end of the season.

Poly, this has been such a great season and (if they do win) it would be the perfect end. I gotta agree with eastcoastrider in that 04 was the peak of excitement for Sox fans, but Boston is a town where the Sox are #1 even with a football dynasty, the Red Sox will always be the talk of the town. The Sox just never get old or less exciting even when they are winning. And I personaly would have rather faced the Yanks, not because of any rivalry, just cause I think Cleveland is a tougher team to face.

agree with you here, i was in providence when the sox won in 04, and was up for the parade.....you're right, the other great teams in town don't get half the attention even with the winning records because of the sox. I just remember it being so boring after the sox came back. like the world series didn't matter cuz they already came back to take the yankees

Sonofabitch!

That was ugly. Poor management of the bullpen by Francona tonight. Bringing in Papelbon in the 9th after Timlin had been effective in the 8th was a bad move. It forced him to go with Gagne and Lopez (who are useless). I hope they get diagnosed with "injuries" tomorrow.

If you told me that neither Carmona nor Schilling would be a factor in this game I wouldn't believe it.

The worst part of this is that the Sox have to play 3 straight games in Cleveland.

The Red Sox HAVE TO beat Westbook and Byrd, because I don't think Sabathia will pitch the way he did Friday night.