Baseball Talk

kiya

There's an article in the Boston Herald about why the Sox arent using Clay Buchholz too much (even though he is pitching tonight) because they want him to be a suprise in the playoffs, comparing his impact as an unknown pitcher to KRod's for the Angels in '02 (that is, IF they make it to the playoffs!)

that's what i figured, too. i've also noticed they have shuffled the rotation so that guys like matsuzaka and schilling are going to get some rest before the playoffs. might be a smart move that pays off later.

also started to think maybe it's better for bosox not to finish in first place of the division. that way, yankees might have to face the angels first round and we all know the history between those two clubs...

Cubs are fucking killing me... already down 3-0, top of the 3rd, with ace Z on the mound... ridiculous :(

dont worry man, the brewers will blow it....better pray ben sheets really got hurt last night....i liked how carlos z got a standing ovation after giving up 5 runs.

1945. im rooting for the cubs.

fucking bl;urry eyes in shit..

also started to think maybe it's better for bosox not to finish in first place of the division. that way, yankees might have to face the angels first round and we all know the history between those two clubs...

maybe the angels beat the yanks and end up losing to the bosox in the alcs... i still remember when vlad's heroics were supposed to save the angels that one year.. then the bosox came right back to screw them over. oh well :cool:

Word around Boston is that Gagne will NOT make the playoff roster, and Francona was using Gagne last night to see if he could be counted on in a tight situation. That makes sense, however Papelbon should have been warming in the pen to be ready to take over before the game got out of hand.

It's pretty evident that Gagne can't be trusted with the ball when the game is on the line, therefore the Red Sox will have no use for him in October.

Chalk it up to another poor decision by Theo Epstein (Freddy Sanchez for Jeff Suppan at the '03 trading deadline ring any bells?)

I would not be upset to see Epstein leave the organization or take on a lesser role. It's clear he mis-manages the massive payroll he is afforded.

just realized bosox, angels and indians all have pretty much the same record now. and yankees are only a smidge behind. so basically, the matchups are completely up in the air with about ten games left?

historic night...Petite wins 200, Papelbon gives up his first slam...

Chicken your right, everybody going to the playoffs is pretty much locked in since Detroit dropped off... The NL looks interesting though with a couple of close divisions.

ECrider, who goes in Gagne's spot???? Wish we had Gabbard in the pen right now :(

ECrider, who goes in Gagne's spot???? Wish we had Gabbard in the pen right now :(

I'm guessing the playoff roster will look something like this:

Hitters:

-Ortiz

-Manny

-Drew

-Coco

-Kielty

-Ellsbury

-Youk

-Pedroia

-Lugo

-Lowell

-Hinske

-Cora

-Varitek

-Mirabelli

Starters:

-Beckett

-Schilling

-Matsuzaka

-Wakefield

Relievers:

-Timlin

-Papelbon

-Okajima

-Lopez

-Delcarmen

Then, for the remaining 2 spots the Sox have to choose between: Buchholz, Lester, Tavarez, Snyder. And it would probably be Buchholz v. Lester, and Tavarez v. Snyder, which is a tough call on both accounts.

I'd say Buchholz and Snyder would be my choices, but who knows.

Or the Sox could take 3 of those 4 and leave Kielty off the roster. One thing's for sure, I really doubt Gagne has a chance to make the postseason roster.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Roger Clemenswas scratched from his start for the New York Yankees on Tuesday night at Tampa Bay because of a lingering left hamstring injury.

The announcement was made about four hours before game time. The team said Clemens will not pitch in the three-game series with the Devil Rays that runs through Thursday.

Kei Igawa was picked to replace Clemens for Tuesday night's start.

-AP