Baseball Talk

kiya

i absolutely loved the pitching last night too.

hughes --> joba ---> ramirez ---> mo

except for mo, that's some fine young pitching there. they're finally doing the right things, like taking out moose for kennedy. it's time they stopped overpaying and playing over-the-hill players and move on.

chicken, i'm curious, when did you become a yankee fan? when you were growing up in japan? did you root for any japanese teams?

when i was growing up in japan, the only major league teams i knew were yankees, mets and dodgers. and i guess because the first places i lived in this country was in the northeast and one of the first baseball game i went to see was at the yankees stadium, i guess i was a yankee fan before i even knew it.

funny, my fate might have been different if somebody bought be fenway tickets when i went to school in providence. still haven't seen a game there.

my dad is a yomiuri giants fan and my older brother is a hanshin tigers fan. i was sort of a hiroshima carps fan because that was the first baseball uniform my parents bought for me by pure luck, but i never had a real alliance to them.

growing up with a team makes a huge impression. whenever the yankees beat the mariners, i still get a little upset. i can't help it.

i was pissed off by the two crappy calls made on ichiro last night--called him out at first when he beat the throw, and they called him out on a stolen base attempt, when jeter missed the tag. the umps knew they screwed up.

any other person, they would be right though. i think the umps are still getting used to his speed. ichiro was visibly upset and was cursing under his breath.

^ i noticed that ichiro was cursing in japanese, too. heh.

i knew the umps were wrong and i felt lucky about them. maybe i'm a bit more of a yankee fan than i'm a japanese nationalist. but even though i wanted mariners to lose, i was rooting for ichiro and jojima all the way.

speaking of, another thing i noticed, was that the umps probably called some of the strikes balls, because jojima was catching. his arm moves when he catches the ball, causing the mit to go out of the zone, probably prompting the umps to think they were balls. but at least two of the pitches i saw hit the corner of the plate.

funny, my fate might have been different if somebody bought be fenway tickets when i went to school in providence. still haven't seen a game there.

So there is a possibility that you could convert? ;) I was talking to my brother and father about Fenway over the weekend, they want a new park because it's hard to get tickets, but they're just curmudgeons. Ive never been to Wrigley, but my brother says it's better. You should still go though.

growing up with a team makes a huge impression. whenever the yankees beat the mariners, i still get a little upset. i can't help it.

I cant even bring myself to root for the Mets...

and yeah, spoona. ichiro needs some help. i can only dream of him being on the team that had ken griffey, jr., edgar martinez, jay buhner, etc.... *edit* oh yeah, and a-rod.

felix is a good start. but they do need more.

So there is a possibility that you could convert? ;) I was talking to my brother and father about Fenway over the weekend, they want a new park because it's hard to get tickets, but they're just curmudgeons. Ive never been to Wrigley, but my brother says it's better. You should still go though.

naw, too late to train an old dog. but i do have to go to fenway, wrigley and at&t park.

seattle and Ichiro need Shinjo!!!

Shinjo recently said he wants to play again.

no! not shinjo. (my die-hard mets fan friend from puerto rico pronounced his name shin-ho without joking. that might have been what caused his poor performance in the majors.)

holy cow, that rick ankiel story's just awesome right now. do you guys remember how he was a decent pitcher, then he all of a sudden lost it and started to throw wild pitches all over the place? it's amazing he's back as a hitter.

Truly is a great story, and unfortunately, just a few hours after that game, came this report: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=An1k_Yki9_oyvDcelh.KtQ.FCLcF?slug=txcardinalsankiel&prov=st&type=lgns. I'm hoping that it's not true or that at least, Ankiel can come clean with the whole thing.