Baseball Talk

kiya

^ So true. Any game in Boston no matter if the other team blows, guaranteed it'll be sold out. Hell, you'll be lucky enough to get tickets from scalpers.

even when the royals or tampa bay come to town? id love to see a game at fenway...closest i got is a picture of me years back with the park in the background...it wasnt baseball season at the time, or else i would have put out the money for a ticket.

a couple games have gotten sold out here, but they give you standing room only tickets for $10, which isnt a bad deal because its easy to sneak in any section at minute maid if you know whats up.

I should've asked this earlier but can any NYC folks recommend a good sports bar? I'm going to be in town until the 4th, and I wanted to catch a Yankees or Mets game. My friends aren't big baseball fans and they don't want to spend half a day at a ballpark, so I figure that going to a sports bar would be a good compromise. Would really appreciate the input, thanks.

These are Red Sox bars, but...

Brady's Bar & Grill

* Address: 1583 2nd Ave (at E. 82nd St.) (Take 4,5,6 to 86th and Lexington)

* Phone Number: (212) 650-0567

* Comments: Not a Sox bar, but it's a favorite Upper East Side spot for Mets fans (including the owner) and old-school rooters of the Giants & Dodgers. As such, they welcome Yankee haters with open arms. The place dates back to the early 1900's when it was known as McGrath's. It's been in the Brady family since 1961, when Dan Sr. took ownership 5 years after immigrating from Ireland. Dan Brady Jr. has run it since 1991, and he's added six wide-screen TV's, the MLB package, and a jukebox. They're also serious about their dart games here (NYDO tourney play on Mon/Tue nites), and there's a billiard room out back.

Cody's

* Address: 154 Court St. (at Pacific St.), Cobble Hill, Brooklyn (Take 2,3,4 to Boro Hall; R to Court St., A,C to Jay St., F to Bergen St.)

* Phone Number: (718) 852-6115

* Comments: Not a Red Sox bar strictly speaking, but they have NESN and a dozen TV's and the Sox game is usually playing (and they will put it on upon request if it isn't.) Also have MLB and NFL satellite packages. No-frills sports bar, nothing fancy.

The Hairy Monk

* Address: 337 3rd Avenue (at 25th St.) (Take 6,N,R to 23rd St.)

* Phone Number: (212) 532-2929

* Comments: A Red Sox-Friendly pub in Gramercy. Pros: Red Sox games always on one of the numerous televisions, large contingent of Sox fans (including bartenders), good beer & food selection, Theo Epstein has stopped by for a turn behind the bar. Cons: Jimmy Fallon lives in the neighborhood, and will pop in on occasion.

Lighthouse Tavern

* Address: 243 5th Ave (between Carroll & Garfield), Brooklyn, NY 11215-1908 (Take any Brooklyn train to Atlantic/Pacific, then R to Union Street. Bar map with subway overlay.

* Phone Number: (718) 788-8070

* Comments: A small, pub-style bar in Park Slope catering to all fan sets, including a regular Sox crowd. Carries MLB, NFL and NBA satellite packages with 4 TVs. Great draught beer menu, with Anchor Steam (CA), Smuttynose (NH), Goose Island (IL), Yuengling (PA), Magic Hat (VT) and Harpoon (MA) to go along with NYC suds (Brooklyn Brewing, Blue Point, Chelsea, Six Point) and imports (Harp, Guinness, Stella, Amstel, Boddington's, Hoegarden). Their list of bottled beers is also extensive. Decent menu with wings, burgers, sandwiches, fish & chips, salads, and even a selection of bocas (Costa Rican appetizers). There are a dozen stools fronting the bar, with around the same number surrounding a few bar tables. A back room has three booths, a pool table, and a dart board. There's also an outdoor beer garden. There's no sign outside, so look for the hunter green store front.

Pat O'Brien's

* Address: 1701 2nd Avenue (at 88th Street) (Take 4,5,6 to 86th Street)

* Phone number: (212) 410-2013

* Comments: They have a rather large sign in the window stating that they show all Red Sox games. The sign was put up during the pre-season DirecTV/MLB vs. Cable and Dish Network controversy and it's still there.

Professor Thom's

* Address: 219 Second Avenue (between 13th and 14th St) (Take 1,9,A,C,E,N,R,4,5,6 to Union Square. L to First Avenue)

* Phone Number: (212) 260-9480

* Comments: This is the best red Sox bar in NYC. Ex-Riviera bartender Jim Maguire, and others, opened and run it.

Riviera

* Address: 225 W 4th St (off Seventh Avenue) (Take 1,9 to Christopher St. or A,C,E,B,D,F,V to W 4th St.)

* Phone Number: (212) 929-3250

* Comments: This is where you may find New York City SoSH members (go downstairs). Great place for Patriot games as well. Fills up early for big games, try Kettle of Fish across the square if you can't get in.

Great list! I gotta check out the bars in Manhattan, but I get so lazy sometimes...

Cody's - This is where I usually go, no-frills is a bit of an understatement, they do have Smithwicks though and the Sox are always on.

Lighthouse Tavern- Kinda sucks, but I go in once and a while. No real love for Sox fans though one of the bartenders is from Boston.

I can't tell you how hard it was to find a bar playing the games last night, I had to leave one because the bartenders switched their shift and the new one was a Mets fan.

I can't tell you how hard it was to find a bar playing the games last night, I had to leave one because the bartenders switched their shift and the new one was a Mets fan.

What the hell?!

I could understand if it were just a regular Sox game, but it was a Sox vs. Yanks game!

I'm trying to find a job in NY right now, and one of my main concerns was not being able to see Red Sox games, ha!

so.. where do you think moose is going to next year?

i would not be surprised if the dodgers picked him off waivers

they got boomer, loaiza and hillenbrand...

oh they are hopeless

wang had a no hitter through 7.. joba comes in and dominates the 8th.. things looking good!:D

i couldn't watch the game but why did joba get ejected?

Yankees' rookie pitcher Joba Chamberlain was ejected by home plate unpire Angel Hernandez after he threw two consecutive pitches behind Kevin Youkilis. It was odd to see Chamberlain purposely throw at Youkilis if he did. Youkilis had been involved in an interference play in the 7th where he was called out for running out of the baseline as Alex Rodriguez tried to apply a tag. Youkilis was quite vocal in his disagreement, but it didn't appear that would warrant Chamberlain's response.

-Boston.com

Unbelievable (well, actually, quite believable). The Red Sox got swept, and handily I might add.

Sox pitching wasn't that bad. Matsuzaka pitched OK, Beckett a little better, and Schilling, aside from the 2 HR balls to Cano, pitched really well. The offense, however, was horrendous. JD Drew is absolutely useless. I know his kid is in a bad way, but if that's the case, and it's distracting you, then take a leave of absence. Just about ANYBODY else would be better than Drew.

I don't know who's available on the waiver wire, but the Red Sox need to get a bat. Hinkse, Cora, Mirabelli, and Kielty are not going to cut it as bench players.

Ellsbury needs to be called up soon. Like tomorrow.

The Sox still have a 5 game lead, and will most likely make the playoffs if they make no changes, but they will be sent home early in October if they don't address their offensive issues.

Unbelievable (well, actually, quite believable). The Red Sox got swept, and handily I might add.

The offense, however, was horrendous. JD Drew is absolutely useless. I know his kid is in a bad way, but if that's the case, and it's distracting you, then take a leave of absence. Just about ANYBODY else would be better than Drew.

I'm staying positive, the last time they got swept in NY was '04.

Drew IS HORRENDOUS, USELESS!!! Theo, put Ellsbury in, now, please! There's an article in the Globe about him being too selective at the plate, are you kidding me, just swing the fucking bat.

wow...

that mets/phils game was intense

the only think i wonder is...

if ryan howard broke into the big leagues earlier...

would he have a shot at all time hr king???

probably not, as I think it took him a few years to learn to sit for a breaking ball. All I know is, I'm very happy to have Chase Utley on the ball club.

the only think i wonder is...

if ryan howard broke into the big leagues earlier...

would he have a shot at all time hr king???

probably not, as I think it took him a few years to learn to sit for a breaking ball.

Howard is only 26 years old, and he hits home runs at a more frequent pace than A-Rod or Bonds. It would take a long career and consistent power numbers, but he certainly has a shot at the record.

- Howard 1 HR every 11.49 AB

- Bonds 1 HR every 12.9 AB

- A-Rod 1 HR every 14.27 AB