Baseball Talk

kiya

It makes sense that if you've played pro ball, you shouldn't be considered for ROTY.

Dice-K has had a ROTY season, but since he's played pro ball in Japan, Pedroia should get the honors.

Okajimi is good, and definitely deserves ROTY consideration, but he is clearly 3rd behind Dice-K and Pedroia.

It's not really that important, to me at least, as I'm more interested in the Red Sox' playoff run than individual awards.

Would you believe me if I told you all that there's been a pitcher who has outpitched Johan Santana, Daisuke Matsuzaka, and Josh Beckett this year?

That would be Felix A. Hernandez.

Outpitched, as in head-to-head match ups? Or if you're talking about numbers in general, then I would say that Felix has been an above average pitcher at best. I thought he would've had his breakout season this year but that was probably too much to expect from a pitcher who's only 21.

The Baltimore Orioles, oddly enough, have the one guy who's flat out pitching better than anyone right now. Check out his stats here: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6910;_ylt=AnAJIktC75Nh2oV8PJGyIxyFCLcF

There are a lot of great pitchers in the AL who have a legitimate shot at the Cy Young award. Based on stats alone, Felix Hernandez is not one of them (despite the fact that he is very good and will only get better).

If the season ended today, the Cy Young award would probably go to Bedard or Haren, although Santana and Escobar have claims as well.

He seriously is better than those three, even this season, at things the pitcher has direct control over. His xFIP is a 3.25 compared to Beckett's 3.51, Santana's 3.49, and Matsuzaka's 4.17. Try as I might, I couldn't find a pitcher in the AL who has been better this year.

As I said before, if the season ended today, Bedard or Haren would be Cy Young. I don't really follow all those wacky formulaic stats, but Bedard has the lowest xFIP at 2.99.

How about Clemens?

5-5 in 14 starts, with an ERA of 4.34. And the Yankees paying $28 million for that output?

Shrewd investment, George.

thank you yankees (putting out the $) for taking him from houston....he wouldnt of done shit anyhow and plus the astros suck this year...you saved us alot of money.

If the Yankees make the playoffs (and that's a big if at this point), Mussina will either be relegated to the bullpen or left off the roster entirely.

I hate the Yankees, but I kind of want them to win the wild card just to see another Red Sox vs. Yankees ALCS. Plus the Yankees would be an easier opponent than the Tigers, Angels, Mariners, or Indians.

I'm going to the A's game tonite with Sidney.

Wish us luck.

My favorite team has taken a serious shit on my face these last couple of months.

Kiya thinks I don't know shit about baseball... but I know one thing... I know that it's clutch time when it reaches the 4th quarter.

Go Athletics! (only because the Giants will forever suck post-blowing-their-only-chance-at-a-pennant-you-useless-old-fucks)

I think the playoff picture will look like:

AL East: Boston

AL Central: Detroit

AL West: LAA

AL Wild Card: Cleveland

NL East: NYM

NL Central: Chicago

NL West: San Diego

NL Wild Card: Arizona

The National League is pathetic... i'm a big Mets fan, but i honestly don't see them making it to the world series. This summer has been rough on us. Even if they do manage to squeeze their way in, they won't be able to compete with any of the American League teams. My money is on LA.