Baseball Talk

kiya

^^^Good call on the Willy Mo DFA...just read that he cleared waivers this month, so Theo is probably working on a trade right now.

Some of the other players who cleared waivers this month, according to mlbtraderumors.com:

Pat Burrell - $13MM in '07, $14MM in '08, full no-trade clause

Jeff Conine - $2MM in '07

Jose Contreras - $9MM in '07, $10MM in '08, $10MM in '09

Kyle Farnsworth - $5.25MM in '07, $5.5MM in '08

Troy Glaus - $10.75MM in '07, $12.75MM in '08, $11.25MM player option in '09, full no-trade clause

Jason Lane - $1.05MM in '07

Mike Piazza - $8.5MM in '07

Wily Mo Pena - $1.875MM in '07

Odalis Perez - $7.75MM in '07, $9MM club option in '08 with $1.5MM buyout (Dodgers paying a portion)

Josh Towers - $2.9MM in '07

Steve Trachsel - $3MM in '07, $4.75MM club option for '08

Jack Wilson - $5.25MM in '07, $6.5MM in '08, $7.25MM in '09, $8.4MM club option in '10 with $0.6MM buyout

Omar Vizquel - $4MM in '07

Dmitri Young - $5MM in '08, $5MM in '09, $6MM option in '10 that may vest based on plate appearances

I'm thinking Piazza, Contreras and Pena are the most likely players to be moved.

sox win, yankees lose...i can live with that.

yes sir!

i'll be flying into logan next thur. with my girl and we'll be at the friday game vs. the orioles. we're sitting in section 30.

also, get this! i just found out yesterday that this kid's mom that i know has been dating don orsillo for about seven years! :eek:

yes sir!

i'll be flying into logan next thur. with my girl and we'll be at the friday game vs. the orioles. we're sitting in section 30.

also, get this! i just found out yesterday that this kid's mom that i know has been dating don orsillo for about seven years! :eek:

Have fun, I didn't make it last summer, but I'll be there with my father Sep 29th, 2nd to last game of the regular season against the Twins (please be Beckett vs. Santana!) I may try to go sometime that weekend too, I figure I'll be home for Labor Day.

Orsillo seems like a really cool guy... Having to deal with NY commentators really makes me miss him and Jerry.

Have fun, I didn't make it last summer, but I'll be there with my father Sep 29th, 2nd to last game of the regular season against the Twins (please be Beckett vs. Santana!) I may try to go sometime that weekend too, I figure I'll be home for Labor Day.

Orsillo seems like a really cool guy... Having to deal with NY commentators really makes me miss him and Jerry.

ugh... say NO to YES.

ugh... say NO to YES.

I actualy prefer YES to the Mets broadcast's with Keith Hernandez... Last summer all the guy could talk about was how great it was going to be to roll back into Boston for the 20th anniversary and all this BS. I just wish I coulda been in that booth when they got swept the fuck out of Boston.

Speaking of the Mets, I was watching the game agianst the Nationals the other day and was really happy to see Willy Mo Pena doing well. Hes going to get some real playing time in DC and I think is going to be a great player on of these days. He sent a nice note to Boston too after he got traded:

To my sisters, brothers and fans of the Red Sox Nation. I want to take a moment to thank you and the entire Red Sox organization for your support during my time in Boston. Your constant passion for baseball and your beloved Red Sox is unmatched and has touched me deeply. I will always consider you with a special place in my heart. The Red Sox organization deserves only the best and the Red Sox Nation is just that.

Peace in life,

Wily Modesto Pena.

Classy.

imagine losing 30-3.....most runs since 1897.

sorry baltimore fans.

i saw this on my phone last night and was thinking "wow, i haven't witnessed that in a few years. didn't know it's been 200 years though lol... wow. :eek:

dice-k gets 1 run of support again. in the interview, he says he blames his own pitching for his losses. i think it's obvious, though, that you can't win games when your offense refuses to help you out.

i don't know what people think in boston, but i hope they are sympathetic to dice-k.

I think as a pitcher you pretty much have to say it's your own fault you lose games that are as close as that, so as to not alienate your teammates, even though everyone knows the offense has to get the job done when the pitching allows only 2 runs through 9.

People in Boston love Dice-K. They know his record is not indicative of his pitching ability. His 3.76 ERA is pretty damn good. Talk radio shows around here say he'll likely win the AL Rookie of the Year award.

It's funny, the Sox pick a pitcher and then give them no run support, used to be Wakefield now it's DiceK. I read an article saying that one of the writers in New England who gets to vote for rookie of the year wouldnt vote for any player that had already played pro somewhere else... He's voting for Pedroia, I'm just happy to have 3 great candidates.