Baseball Talk

kiya

I would be thrilled if the Dodgers picked up Wells. We have lost three starting pitchers this season, and we don't have any left-handed starters. A drunk, old timer like Wells is still better than Brett Bomb-ko.

And it looks like the Yankees are going to have a dramatically different pitching rotation within a year or two. So many young pitchers coming up, plus CC Sabathia hitting the market after this year and Johan Santana hitting the market the following year.

Haven't seen Chamberlain pitch yet, but from what I've heard, the kid has electric stuff.

Fastball consistently in the high 90's and a nasty slider.

The Yankees needed a setup guy for Rivera, and it looks like they've found one in Chamberlain. Wasn't he supposed to be a starter though.

Perhaps, like Papelbon, Chamberlain will become a closer in the future.

The Yankees seem to be firing on all cylinders lately, but I wouldn't expect it to last long. The Yankees have been playing some pretty crappy teams as the Red Sox have been playing some of the league's best.

I still expect the Red Sox to take the division, but I'm not counting the Yankees out as Wild Card contenders. It would be great to see another Red Sox vs. Yankees ALCS, this time with home-field advantage going to the Sox.

^^^^ YIKES!

So, I was at the bar the other night watching Tim Wakefield bring a no-hitter into the 7th and I was talking to this know-it-all Yankees fan who had seen the Yanks, in just about every park in the AL and wherever they go for interleague, blah blah blah, (nice guy though). So we were talking about Fenway, and I told him that my father used to go to see the Patriots play at Fenway in the 60s, he nearly fell off his stool, he goes, "theres no way you can fit a football game in that place!" Well...

tm_st10786.jpg

Pats vs. Raiders

Infact, three football teams played at Fenway, the Boston Redskins, the Boston Yanks and the Boston Patriots.

The old days were so much cooler:

Fans on the field for a (baseball) game 1930 (pre-Williamsburg):

tm_st10497.jpg

tm_st10495.jpg

No lights either!

Heres the Giants at Yankee Stadium:

yankmain.jpg

Bears at Wrigley:

wrigmain.jpg

anyones thoughts on this years golden glove? all team bias aside, i honestly think curtis granderson should get it. He's made 3 of the best catches of the year and IMO is one of the best centre fielders in the game right now

Remember that catch at the wall vs. the Bo sox? god damn

anyones thoughts on this years golden glove? all team bias aside, i honestly think curtis granderson should get it. He's made 3 of the best catches of the year and IMO is one of the best centre fielders in the game right now

Remember that catch at the wall vs. the Bo sox? god damn

That was a great catch, unfortunately... Anyway, I read an article somewhere about how terrible the selection of Gold Glovers is, and apparently hitting does factor into the decision for some people. Torri Hunter and Ichiro have won every year since 2001, and Vernon Wells has won the past three years, this year:

Hunter has 1 error in 973innings

Wells 2 in 1006

Ichiro 0 in 969

Granderson 4 in 962

So the previous winners already have the advantage.

That was a great catch, unfortunately... Anyway, I read an article somewhere about how terrible the selection of Gold Glovers is, and apparently hitting does factor into the decision for some people. Torri Hunter and Ichiro have won every year since 2001, and Vernon Wells has won the past three years, this year:

Hunter has 1 error in 973innings

Wells 2 in 1006

Ichiro 0 in 969

Granderson 4 in 962

So the previous winners already have the advantage.

i think consistency is just as important as making great plays. ichiro is as consistent as you can get. i mean, 0 errors in 969 innings is pretty damn good. also, no one dares to run to third base when the ball is hit deep to ichiro. i don't think there is an outfielder who commands as much respect from a batter than ichiro.

to be fair, torri hunter's one error was a really bad hop.

i think consistency is just as important as making great plays. ichiro is as consistent as you can get. i mean, 0 errors in 969 innings is pretty damn good. also, no one dares to run to third base when the ball is hit deep to ichiro. i don't think there is an outfielder who commands as much respect from a batter than ichiro.

to be fair, torri hunter's one error was a really bad hop.

True, I'd say all the outfield Gold Gloves are well deserved. I'd love to find out Ichiro's assist %.

I'm amazed that Hunter dosent have more errors than that, it's really impressive to me considering where he plays, it seems like there's always some big problem with some fly ball that hits something up in the dome and causes all this confusion. Twins really need a new stadium.

In other news, Clay Bucholz, the Red Sox #1 piching prospect is making his major leauge debut tomorrow against the Angels, should be interesting. This guy is probably going to take Schillings spot in the rotation next year. Also, Jacoby Ellsbury is getting the callup... Willy Mo Pena, DFA???? We'll see what Theo's got up his sleeve...

Oh, way to go on another blown save Mo...