Baseball Talk

kiya

Miz.. that's so badass.. thanks for the links.

^^^Great deal for the Mariners. Ichiro's stats might not justify that kind of money but no one can doubt the presence / clout he has in Japan. The M's have probably recouped all of their money already since Japanese TV stations that air Mariners games will continue to do so for at least the next five years.

Anyone think Ichiro will get to 3,000 hits? By the end of this year he should have more han 1,500, and he has stated that he would like to play for ten more years.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Jorge Posada, who on Thursday said he plans to explore free agency, did not mince his words Friday. The catcher will not re-sign with the Yankees during the season, even if they try to give him a contract extension.

"Even if my agents [sam and Seth Levinson] told me [the Yankees] offered me what I wanted, I'm not going to sign now," Posada said. "No matter what." -NY Newsday

I love it! Dont think they'll be chanting "Hip Hip Jorge" at the stadium anymore. I just hope the Sox can sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia before the Yanks do.

Baseball rumors nearing the deadline are great, this one is the best: "sources" are saying that the Red Sox will make a huge push for ARod in the off season, and Cashman is saying he wont get into the bidding (B.S.)...Somehow, I can see this happening, I think ARod would love to give NY a big "Fuck You!"

There are a number of scenarios surrounding the A-Rod situation.

- He can exercise his player option, and play with the Yankees for the next 3 years for a total of approximately $81 millon.

- He can sign a new contract with the Yankees during this season.

- He can opt out of his contract and become a free agent.

His agent, Scott Boras, has already said that A-Rod will not negotiate a new contract with the Yankees during the season, and it's unlikely that he will exercise his player option.

A-Rod will likely test the free agent market and he will get a huge contract, somewhere in the vicinity of 8 years, $240 million. There are only a few teams that can take on that kind of salary: The Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, White Sox, Cubs, and Mets.

The Cubs and Mets already have bigtime players at the 3B and SS positions, so they are likely uninterested. That leaves the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, and White Sox. The Yankees and Red Sox have the deepest pockets, but I could envision A-Rod playing out west for the Angels if they can pony up the dough. It's a lot less scrutiny than playing in the Boston or NY markets, and it's close to LA where A-Rod can continue his celeb lifestyle.

I expect the Red Sox to make a big push for A-Rod in the offseason for a number of reasons. One, Schilling and Lowell are both free agents. If they go, that will free up $22 million, which the Sox could use to sign A-Rod for around $30-32 million a year. Two, with Lowell gone, the Sox will need a 3B. And lastly, the Sox would love to swipe A-Rod away from the Yankees.

Another thing to consider is that Justin Morneau will be a free agent a the end of the season. If the Sox signed him to play 1B, they could move Youkillis to 3B. Morneau is younger than A-Rod and would be considerably cheaper. Also, Morneau wouldn't pose the threat to the Sox clubhouse like A-Rod may (a la Reggie Jackson in the late 70's for the Yankees).

As a Red Sox fan, I'd welcome A-Rod's talent to the team, but I'd rather have Morneau in the above scenario, because I'm not a fan of A-Rod's personality. Great player, but kind of a douche.

If the Cubs find an owner before the end of the season, and if it happens to be Mark Cuban, you know they're going to push hard for A-Rod. And Cuban is the type of guy who would be crazy enough to let A-Rod play SS, which is what the Cubs need any way.

As a Red Sox fan, I'd welcome A-Rod's talent to the team, but I'd rather have Morneau in the above scenario, because I'm not a fan of A-Rod's personality. Great player, but kind of a douche.

Definately a douche, but the thought of an Ortiz-Arod-Manny 345 just makes me want him in Boston soo bad (and the thought of stickin it to the Yankees doesnt hurt at all). I'd feel a lot better about the whole thing if we hadn't signed Lugo, I'd rather keep Lowell and have the option of putting Arod at SS.

It seams like this could really be a possibility, I mean, they were really close to signing Helton, Id much rather have Arod than Helton.

Lowell is good, and has proven he can play in Boston, but Epstein has a track record of not resigning older free agents when he thinks their price exceeds value (i.e. Cabrera, Loretta, Damon, Pedro) I wouldn't mind having Lowell back at third last year, but he's likely to get a much better contract from another team in the offseason. I expect the Red Sox to not offer him anything and focus on getting A-Rod (assuming he's still available at the end of the season).

According to one report, Lucchino has never stopped wanting A-Rod since the Red Sox failed to sign him before the '04 season.

As devastating as a 3, 4, 5 combo of Ortiz, A-Rod, Manny would be. I would expect the Sox to try to dump Manny off on another team. It would be pretty difficult to carry both A-Rod's and Manny's contracts at the same time. They'd like to replace his bat with A-Rod's, and bring up one of the guys in Pawtucket (likely Murphy) to play left.

Of course this is all speculation as I have no real knowledge of what goes on in Theo's head. Should be an interesting offseason like usual.

^ i will be at the phils game on saturday

i have yet to attend a phillies game when they won...

You were just one away from history.

ECRider,

I don't know if they will be able to dump Manny, especially when he's not having the greatest year, I think he will be riding out the contract till 08. Then if Coco's still with the team (I read some blurb about how Scouts are saying his recent upswing makes him good trade bait) you'd have a pretty solid outfield with Ellsbury-Crisp-Drew.

You also forgot, I don't know why, hes such an unforgettable player ;) the $9.8m off the books next year when Matt Clement hits the road. I think they only have 2 other players after that who will be getting new contracts, Paps and Youk, so they should be alright moneywise next year even if they make a big bid on ARod.

You were just one away from history.

ECRider,

I don't know if they will be able to dump Manny, especially when he's not having the greatest year, I think he will be riding out the contract till 08.

You also forgot, I don't know why, hes such an unforgettable player ;) the $9.8m off the books next year when Matt Clement hits the road.

I didn't realize that Manny was only signed through the '08 season. If that's the case, then one more season with his contract would be manageable for the Sox.

Also, isn't Clement signed through '08? I thought he signed a 4 year deal with the Sox starting in '05, which means he has one more season after this one (if I'm correct). Reports say he might be ready to pitch in September. He's not a bad pitcher (when healthy), but I'd rather bring up a young arm to replace him (Gabbard, Hansack) at the #5 spot if we can get A-Rod's bat.

Here's speculation for the '08 lineup:

Lugo/Crisp

Pedroia

Ortiz

A-Rod

Manny

Drew

Youkilis

Varitek

Crisp/Lugo

Beckett

Matsuzaka

Lester

Wakefield

Gabbard/Hansack

Looks pretty good on paper.

on paper, that's a sick squad. but, so are the current yankees...

Zing!

Manny signed for 8yrs $160M in 2000. Clement signed a 3yr deal for $25.5M.

Instead of a Gabbard/Hansack, what about another proven starter? The Sox could package up some of their prospects for another ace... or they could give Clay Buchholz a spot and keep Tavarez in the pen as insurance.

I do like that lineup too, I really hope that Lester gets a few starts this season, I'd really like to see him back in the rotation.

Another big hole I see for next year is the catcher, we need someone better than Mirabelli and hopefuly someone who could take over for Tek at some point.

Nice, I'm glad Clement will be gone after this season. Gabbard should do well as a #5 guy next year. He's pretty good, he just needs time. The Red Sox don't need 5 #1 pitchers in their rotation if they can get the bats to back them up. I don't think they should try to package any of their prospects. Look at what happened to guys like Freddy Sanchez and Hanley Ramirez. Also, Buchholz is still too young to pitch all the time in the bigs I think.

What's up with Lester though. I thought he'd be pitching by now, especially since Schilling is out and Tavarez is struggling.

The Sox like George Kottaras in Pawtucket as a replacement for Varitek down the line.

God Help The Oakland Athletics.

Please.

why are all these red sox fans lusting after arod? i thought you guys hated him? :confused: boston's just turning into what they always said they didn't wanna be, big spenders aka the yankees. go A's!

What's $143M on the field when your team is worth $700M? Boston pays for having a great team with high ticket prices, average price of $46, of course you get to sit in one of if not the greatest ballpark in baseball (Ive never been to Wrigley so I can't say if its better) Whats the average ticket price at the Coliseum? How many fans even go to regular games against the Royals or the DRays? Fenway's been packed every night for years, filled with fans wearing all sorts of RedSox shirts, hats, etc. Boston loves baseball, I mean, the Pat's won the Superbowl 3 times in 4 years and still all anyone ever talks about is the Sox.

I'd love for them to cut the spending down, but at the end of the day, it isn't my money.

As for ARod, it's been clearly stated above that we think he is a big douche, but why wouldn't I want the best player in baseball on my team? If Jeter wanted to play SS, I'd roll out the red carpet! I currently live in NY and sit next to Yankees fans at the Stadium and in bars and I can tell you I'd like nothing more than to sit there with them next season watching ARod walk out with a B on his hat.

If the fightins lose a few more, I expect a wholesale selloff in Philly. Except we don't have much to sell. I'd rather not lose Rowand, and who else is healthy and expendable? Maybe Victorino?

It's never good when you like the guys on a losing team.

I watched the 10,000th on ESPN. I'm proud that the Phillies establish a new record every time they lose.

Jon Lester looked pretty good last night, got himself into a couple of jams and then right out. I sat at the bar with a few Yankees fans who were rooting for him, which was nice. I guess if he has another good start Kason will be on the trading block... he's been really good for the Sox this season, but I don't know if they would trade Lester at this point.

Coco went 3 for 4, not bad at all.