Baseball Talk

kiya

so giambi actually FAILED A DRUG TEST...

are you fucking kidding me... like he actually continues to use steroids after this whole crackdown? what does everyone else make of this...?

hawkeye, enjoy the game? watched it at home.

Ya it was great! Always nice to see em win. I was pissed that Okajima broke his scoreless streak, but 20 innings is still an impressive debut. I saw Arod's elbow hit Pedroia all the way from the upper deck!

They're down 4-0 right now, not worried though.

are you fucking kidding me... like he actually continues to use steroids after this whole crackdown? what does everyone else make of this...?

I think the Yankees will try to void his contract. It makes sense to me, they would just go out and buy Helton or Texera and some other big name DH. I wonder if Bonds would be available :rolleyes:

Sorry but it is kind of tough to keep up with a team like the Yankees. The DRays must loath being in this division because they will never be able to match up to the Yanks/Sox.

And it kind of dosent matter in the long run for a team like the Sox to spend $, Boston (and everywhere else in the country that Sox fans are, just watch out of town games, Im sure hotels book up when the Sox are in Baltimore) is so feverish about baseball, every kid, mother and father has RS shirts, hats, etc, every home game sells out. John Henry and co. make $$$$$ hand over fist in Boston, and they put it back into the team, sounds good to me.

Completely understand what you're saying...they're an exciting team to watch, and the owners are dedicated to putting money back into the team...can't ask for anything more than that as a fan. My only gripe is that a good amount of the Red Sox fan base still think that the Yankees have some sort of unfair advantage with all of the money they spend. The Sox are spending like the Yankees now, so in my mind, it's an even playing field between the Yankees and the Sox.

And I might be digressing a little bit, but how great would it be if there was a salary cap in MLB. I would love to see baseball take a cue from the NHL, and really try to give every team in the league a chance to be competitive.

with the implementation of the "moneyball" strategy of drafting and conducting a team, i think the playing field has been creatively leveled. we are quickly learning that money doesnt buy you everything, what, with the way things are going for teams like the cardinals and the yankees and all. basically, i think its fun to see teams with lesser money find innovative and effective ways of dealing with their situation. keeps things interesting.

My only gripe is that a good amount of the Red Sox fan base still think that the Yankees have some sort of unfair advantage with all of the money they spend.

Ha, this is true, there are a lot (A LOT) of misinformed, stupid Sox fans, believe me. I really didn't like the JD Drew pickup, especially because we have 3 great outfield prospects in the minors, but I view the Matsuzaka pickup as a moral booster (WE got the best Japanese pitcher and the Yankees didn't!) and an investment in Japan. I sat next to 3 Japanese guys the other day who were wearing Red Sox shirts, hats, and I'm not sure they would have been into the team last year. From what I have heard there were a lot of Yankees/Seatle fans in Japan, which is a big baseball market before this year.

really try to give every team in the league a chance to be competitive.

7 teams have won the World Series the past 7 years. Some teams just suck, salary cap or not.

i think its fun to see teams with lesser money find innovative and effective ways of dealing with their situation. keeps things interesting.

Look at the Marlins, they have great young players, and when they get too expensive to keep (see Josh Beckett) they trade for prospects (see Hanley Ramirez and Anabel Sanchez)

i believe the ny post stated he failed a test for amphetimes.

clemens looked bad at trenton last night...

I sat next to 3 Japanese guys the other day who were wearing Red Sox shirts, hats, and I'm not sure they would have been into the team last year. From what I have heard there were a lot of Yankees/Seatle fans in Japan, which is a big baseball market before this year.

yeah, it's hard to be a fan of a team if the team has no players that even remotely resemble your cultural background. also, boston is not historically super pro-japanese city.

seattle (ichiro), new york (matsui) and LA (nomo) all have huge japanese populations and were already popular before in japan. also, seattle has been owned by nintendo for a long time.

i wasn't a red sox fan before matsuzaka came on board. but after watching every game, i really enjoy seeing how the team plays as a family. the yankees do not play like that.

yeah we had shinjo for a brief while wiht the s.f giants. though the team was already pretty good that year, he had pretty decent defense,his offense was less than stellar. giants fans really liked him, just a cool cat. we miss you shinjo san! good luck on your underwear modeling career!

CIMG0679.JPG

yeah, it's hard to be a fan of a team if the team has no players that even remotely resemble your cultural background. also, boston is not historically super pro-japanese city.

seattle (ichiro), new york (matsui) and LA (nomo) all have huge japanese populations and were already popular before in japan. also, seattle has been owned by nintendo for a long time.

i wasn't a red sox fan before matsuzaka came on board. but after watching every game, i really enjoy seeing how the team plays as a family. the yankees do not play like that.

If that was true then i'd better quit liking the A's or any team for that matter because there's no Iranians in baseball. Or even middle easterners for that matter..

:)

If that was true then i'd better quit liking the A's or any team for that matter because there's no Iranians in baseball. Or even middle easterners for that matter..

yeah, but you're also an american. and you live in the bay area.

japanese people have a professional league of their own. unless they have someone that they know playing in the united states, they aren't going to keep track of MLB--big time difference, language barrier, etc...

now, japanese people are worried that the japanese pro-leagues are gonna get watered down because all the good players are gonna want to come to the states. since i don't watch japanese baseball, for me, it would be a good thing. :)

Dan Duquette the Red Sox ex-GM is in the Middle East right now working on promoting baseball there: http://www.israelbaseballleague.com/about/iblexecutive/index.html?staff_id=2 (Duquette is famous in Boston for letting the "twilight of his career" Roger Clemens go to Toronto.)

It's true saddly, Boston's reputation has been bad in the past, both Willie Mays and Jackie Robinson tried out for the Sox, but Tom Yawkee was a raging racist.

The Sox have been pretty active in the DR and I think will most likely open a camp or something in Japan, and possibly China (I know the Yankees are going into China)

Family, Yes!

ZzupOw7VAZQ

Yankees they are not!

^^^ maybe that was a little TOO family for me!

but, i do like how dice-k's teammates and the franchise have been making him feel at home.

btw, do you think they really need to open up a camp in japan? japan's highschool baseball system is more rigorous than any highschool in the u.s. maybe it's a good idea to have a camp there just to lure more talent into the states.

china is a hugely untapped resource. the NBA is just starting to tap into it. yao ming is considered by many sports writers to be the best center in the game. who knows how many super athletes are hidden in that big-ass country?

24socks-600.jpg

Now the Red Sox are riding high again, far ahead of the Yankees in the American League East. Appropriately enough, a sock is the team symbol again. Only this time it is a five-toed version popularized by their two new Japanese pitchers — Daisuke Matsuzaka and Hideki Okajima.

The socks, which fit like a glove with each toe individually encased, were met with curiosity in Boston’s clubhouse during spring training. Before long, Matsuzaka began offering pairs to anyone who expressed an interest. And a number of players did, including Mike Lowell, Ãlex Cora and Doug Mirabelli, who are now playing in them regularly. Looking for a reason for Boston’s great start to the season? Maybe it is the socks.

Before the Red Sox played the Yankees on Monday, Matsuzaka ran in the outfield wearing his five-toed socks and no cleats. The pitching coach, John Farrell, could not figure out why, so he asked Matsuzaka’s interpreter, Masa Hoshino, for an explanation.

“He likes the feel of the grass on his feet,†Hoshino said with a smile.

Matsuzaka later said that he runs in socks, without cleats, to improve his balance and footwork.

-the rest of the NYTimes story here

My only gripe is that a good amount of the Red Sox fan base still think that the Yankees have some sort of unfair advantage with all of the money they spend. The Sox are spending like the Yankees now, so in my mind, it's an even playing field between the Yankees and the Sox..

That's because a good amount of so called fans only wear a hat because they hate the Yankees and couldn't name five players on the squad.

isnt that the truth...dude stole home from petite...blue jays prevail.

how about those mets...im watching the repeat on espn and delgado is about to hit the gw homerun in the 12th...benetiz with two bawks(sp?)...got shook on coming back to queens.

i went to minute maid again tonight and saw my astros lose a ninth straight.

wow the yankees are god awful!!!

and i love it!!

muwhahahaah!!!!!

Who the fuck saw the last inning of that Giants/Mets game last night? That was seriously the strangest 20 minutes of baseball i've ever seen...

Benetiz look like he wanted to shoot himself when the game ended.

I SAW IT. THATS IT FOR HIM! THAT BROKE THE CAMELS BACK! HES HISTORY.FIRE SABEAN AND TAKE THAT FOOL WITH HIM!! :mad:

Who the fuck saw the last inning of that Giants/Mets game last night? That was seriously the strangest 20 minutes of baseball i've ever seen...

Benetiz look like he wanted to shoot himself when the game ended.

Yeah, Chavvy really pulled through in extra innings..

I'm going to the RSox/A's game tonite to see Dice-K in person for the first time.

The a's have trouble against the Red Sox normally so it was a surprise we won that one last night.

I predict a big night for Buck.