Baseball Talk

kiya

matsuzaka is getting better.

And he is getting run support, he really should have won a few of those first games. The run support Beckett gets is crazy, they finally gave Wakefield some hits last night, some of the slumping bats are starting to come alive. Dustin Pedora has had a great couple of weeks.

The Jays have lost 9 in a row and are without BJ Ryan for the rest of the year, it's gonna be a long summer in Toronto.

Dice-K pitched a complete game and the Red Sox beat the Tigers 7-1. He gave up 1 hr to Granderson and didn't give up a walk for the first time this season. Too bad Beckett cut his finger and couldnt get his 8th win yesterday. Tigers get to see the pitcher with the lowest era in the league tomorrow...Go Sox!

I'm really glad that the Sox are in a good place because they don't have to rush Jon Lester back on the mound. This guy is going to be so important for the team down the stretch, he's the ace up their sleeve.

wow, that game two days ago against baltimore was something else...down 5 runs with one out, and Ray blows the game...he couldnt even get that last out when it was hit to the shortstop..fenway went berzerk. best record in MLB.

barry is coming for a three game series here, gonna go pick up tickets for tommorrow night...i got mixed feelings for Bonds.

went to the sf giants game the last two nights in a row....barry went 1-13 or something like that during the three games series here vs the astros..i wanted him get a homerun..i was contemplating bringing a syringe to the game and tossing it on the field just for the hell of it ( i couldnt give a fuck about him and steroids) but i didnt want to get thrown out and leave early.

Red Sox beat Detroit in both games yesterday. Eric Hinske played really well, got the 2 run HR that won the game. It's nice when you have guys like Cora and Hinske that can come off the bench and really contribute.

I think some real credit has to go to the guy people thought was brought in to keep Daisuke company, Hedeki Okajima. According to the Boston Globe: "Okajima hasn't given up a run in 20 2/3 innings, has retired 56 of the last 65 batters he's faced, and has submitted a Papelbonesque ERA of 0.44." He has two saves, one yesterday and one in the sweep of the Yankees at Fenway.

This is what Gary Sheffield had to say about him, "He's good -- real good," Sheffield gushed. "The way he pulls up his leg, it looks like he's going to tilt to the side, but then he comes over the top with the curveball. Then he comes back and throws the fastball in there, and it's nasty. Then he comes at you with his forkball, which is even nastier."

"He's one of the most impressive lefties I've ever seen."

His pitch is crazy, he dosent even look at the plate, his head is down as his arm comes from over him.

1179437310_7953.jpg

the thing about okajima is that in japan he wasn't that great. people in japan are asking, "damn, why didn't he pitch like this when he was over here?"

the general opinion in japan is that sooner or later people will figure out okajima and start hitting him like crazy. i am not sure this is gonna happen. i think that perhaps the same differences in the u.s. that are causing problems for dice-k are working in favor of okajima. i hope he continues shutting down the opposition.

^^Same thing with my boy Takashi Saito. He wasn't that great in Japan, and he has never had over powering stuff but he has absolutely dominated since joining the Dodgers last year. Currently, he has 23 saves in a row, which is the second longest active streak in the majors right now. What I've heard about Saito is that he has a 'hitch' in his wind up / delivery, which not only throws a batters timing off but also makes it difficult for the batter to recognize / see the pitch. Most batters are left swinging for a ball that has already passed the plate. I hope both Saito and Okajima keep pitching well throughout this year. It would be awesome to have a show down in the world series between these two guys.

Some more quotes from the Boston Globe story on him:

Apprised of Sheffield's comments, Okajima smiled broadly, then said through an interpreter, "No, it's not true what he is saying. I'm nowhere near one of the best. In Japan, there are a bunch of pitchers better than me."

Okajima conceded last night he would not be off to such an impressive start if not for daily assurances from Matsuzaka.

"Daisuke is very important to me," Okajima said. "We wanted to show our skills to American baseball fans.

"I could not do this alone. I have welcomed Daisuke's support. He has made it comfortable for me here."

"The thing with Oki is he's got three pitches," Papelbon explained. "And he can throw all three of them for strikes any time he wants. When you can do that as a reliever, you are going to be very successful."

When Japanese reporters asked him about facing the same three batters in both games, the congenial pitcher answered with a smile, "I did?"

He was greeted with laughter. He laughed along with them, then insisted again he did not notice who was at the plate.

"I don't look at the batter," he said. "I look at the catcher's mitt."

One of the sales guys in my office had to travel today and gave me his Sox/Yankees tickets to tonights game! :)

While I was doing my laundry last night I ran across the street to a bar to grab a beer and catch an inning and I sit down next to three Japanese guys who are goin crazy every time the Red Sox did anything, yelling "Come on Papi" in thick accents. I thought the bartender was going to have a fit.

I feel like as long as the Yankees fucking suck, I don't have to worry about any other sports, (NBA Playoffs...?). As long as they're suffering, I'm happy...

Also, in case you're keeping track, the Yankees' rotation thus far, in order of appearance: Carl Pavano, Andy Pettitte, Mike Mussina, Kei Igawa, Darrell Rasner, Chase Wright, Jeff Karstens, Chien-Ming Wang, Phil Hughes, Matt DeSalvo and Tyler Clippard. That's 11, five of whom had not pitched in the majors before Torre handed them a baseball. I used to pitch in high school, anyone got the number to the Yankees front office?

yea, there calling it the yankees pitchers curse..i cant wait to see roger go out there and get hurt in the first inning ending his season....that would make my day.

I feel like as long as the Yankees fucking suck, I don't have to worry about any other sports, (NBA Playoffs...?). As long as they're suffering, I'm happy...

Also, in case you're keeping track, the Yankees' rotation thus far, in order of appearance: Carl Pavano, Andy Pettitte, Mike Mussina, Kei Igawa, Darrell Rasner, Chase Wright, Jeff Karstens, Chien-Ming Wang, Phil Hughes, Matt DeSalvo and Tyler Clippard. That's 11, five of whom had not pitched in the majors before Torre handed them a baseball. I used to pitch in high school, anyone got the number to the Yankees front office?

bonds will hit 755 off a dice k gyro ball.

takes a lot of balls to go to yankee country and cheer on the bosox.

dice-k won AL player of the week. looks like he's finally getting into his form.

i would LOVE to see a dice-k vs. wang matchup. the implications are phenomenal.

With the amount of money the Red Sox spent this past off season, they're just as evil as the Yankees!

Sorry but it is kind of tough to keep up with a team like the Yankees. The DRays must loath being in this division because they will never be able to match up to the Yanks/Sox.

And it kind of dosent matter in the long run for a team like the Sox to spend $, Boston (and everywhere else in the country that Sox fans are, just watch out of town games, Im sure hotels book up when the Sox are in Baltimore) is so feverish about baseball, every kid, mother and father has RS shirts, hats, etc, every home game sells out. John Henry and co. make $$$$$ hand over fist in Boston, and they put it back into the team, sounds good to me.