Baseball Talk

kiya

Dice K's gonna be in New York once he becomes a free agent mark my words. Probably even before he becomes a free agent...

A-Rod will be AL MVP this year. Started off the season with a 2 run homer.

Hopefully the Yankees will finally get the elusive 27th this year.

I am so happy with the Yankees lineup this year. They finally got rid of the unnecessary people (Sheffield, Johnson) and have more of a 2000 Yankees feel to their lineup if you know what I mean.

Yeah. I know it's a long time but unless George Steinbrenner loses his gusto or dies he'll be looking to snatch him up. If they trade up for him before that, he'll probably have to waive a no trade clause which I'm sure he'll do. Whatever I guess I'm just being fantastical.

my man, the only reason the sox would trade daisuke is if he sucks. then, the yankees won't want him anyways. he's gonna be a red sock for a while, man. don't worry, there is a lot of pitching talent on the way from japan.

btw, sox up 2-0. daisuke has 6 K's going into the 6th inning.

Are we about to have play-by-play posts?

haha...

Dodgers, ftw! :)

Anyone play fantasy baseball? Who have you got on your roster? I picked Greinke off of waivers two days ago and he pitched a gem today. He has 'lights out' stuff and has seemingly gotten through the personal problems that sidelined him last year.

On Dice-K...I think he has got some good pitches and he should be pretty good his first two or three years like Nomo was with the Dodgers. I don't see him being a dominant pitcher like Santana / Carpenter / Oswalt for the duration of his contract, though. Dice-K usually pitched 220-260 (sometimes more) innings a season in Japan, and pitching all these innings so early in his career will definitely cut down on the number of effective seasons he can have. Also, not too many MLB hitters have seen Dice-K's pitches and delivery before, hence Dice-K is striking out a lot batters early on (just like Nomo)...once the good hitters get a couple of ab's in, they'll be able to adjust to his pitches. Overall, this was still a great move for the Red Sox...Dice-K at worst will be a #3 pitcher near the tail end of his contract.

Dice K's gonna be in New York once he becomes a free agent mark my words. Probably even before he becomes a free agent...

I can guarantee the only pinstripes Daisuke will be wearing over the next six years will be on an expensive suit. The only way he will pitch with the NYY is if the Red Sox don't resign him.

The Red Sox will not do a direct trade with the Yankees.

In today's market of overpaid pitchers, Daisuke's contract of $8.5m/year over the next 6 years is a bargain. Especially considering there is a real lack of pitching overall.

Besides, I'm sure a new 'it' pitcher will emerge within the next half decade.

^^Felix Hernandez is a monster, he just needs to build up his stamina and arm strength for 200 innings.

yeah, but nomo was already past his prime when he played for the dodgers. dice-k has yet to reach his prime. but, i see your points.

You're right Miz, Nomo was really past his prime. The more I think about the Dice-K signing, the better the deal sounds. The Sox are going to make so much off of his merchandise sales in Japan. Plus they've been able to establish a solid relationship with his former team / league so future all star Japanese players can possibly be funneled into the Sox system.

Speaking of Japanese players, have you heard of Takashi Saito (Dodgers' closer)? While he only has a high 80s / low 90s fastball, he's got a change up that's reminiscent of the one Eric Gagne had during his 70+ save streak. I'm pulling for Saito to at least make it through one more season in MLB.

prediction:

Met and Red Sox is World Series, 1986 all over again.

Mets in 6.

GO METS!!

im going with these two in the world series as well, but i think boston will come through this time, not no bill buckner type garbage. (he's a good man, i still feel for him..im sure he felt relieved in 04)

i have a feeling bonds isnt gonna get hank's record this year...im guessing he's gonna get injured sometime soon...i dont think any player has hit over 20 homers in a season past the age of 40.

craig biggio will easily reach 3,000 hits this season though.

^^Felix Hernandez is a monster, he just needs to build up his stamina and arm strength for 200 innings.

You're right Miz, Nomo was really past his prime. The more I think about the Dice-K signing, the better the deal sounds. The Sox are going to make so much off of his merchandise sales in Japan. Plus they've been able to establish a solid relationship with his former team / league so future all star Japanese players can possibly be funneled into the Sox system.

Speaking of Japanese players, have you heard of Takashi Saito (Dodgers' closer)? While he only has a high 80s / low 90s fastball, he's got a change up that's reminiscent of the one Eric Gagne had during his 70+ save streak. I'm pulling for Saito to at least make it through one more season in MLB.

yeah, no doubt that dice-k is bargain if you consider endorsements in the states and in japan. the red sox are really developing a huge brand in japan. this will probably benefit the red sox, long after dice-k is gone. you are right that future japanese players will look to boston as a top choice to go to in the majors.

haven't heard of takashi saito, i hope he does well though. do you remember kaz matsui when he played on the mets? he was released, but when he went back to japan he became a a huge star. now, he's like a comedian, he's on tv all the time. he signed up to play for a tiny no-name baseball team. on opening day, more people came to see them play than all of the previous year's games combined.

ichiro and big matsui are huge in japan too. they are in commercials stuff. ichiro is actually really charismatic in japan, over here he is so stoic.

I still remember ichiro during the world baseball classic. i never saw him with so much emotion after losing to the Koreans. He got the Japan team back on track and did end up winning it.

yeah, no doubt that dice-k is bargain if you consider endorsements in the states and in japan. the red sox are really developing a huge brand in japan. this will probably benefit the red sox, long after dice-k is gone. you are right that future japanese players will look to boston as a top choice to go to in the majors.

haven't heard of takashi saito, i hope he does well though. do you remember kaz matsui when he played on the mets? he was released, but when he went back to japan he became a a huge star. now, he's like a comedian, he's on tv all the time. he signed up to play for a tiny no-name baseball team. on opening day, more people came to see them play than all of the previous year's games combined.

ichiro and big matsui are huge in japan too. they are in commercials stuff. ichiro is actually really charismatic in japan, over here he is so stoic.

im going with these two in the world series as well, but i think boston will come through this time, not no bill buckner type garbage. (he's a good man, i still feel for him..im sure he felt relieved in 04)

i have a feeling bonds isnt gonna get hank's record this year...im guessing he's gonna get injured sometime soon...i dont think any player has hit over 20 homers in a season past the age of 40.

Buckner got a standing ovation at Fenway last year when they saluited the '86 team, but still refuses to come near Boston.

Bonds will get it, Ted Williams hit 29 when he was 41 but besides that I dont think many(any) players have.

^^^

true..forgot about ted williams..good call.

mets and braves this weekend

should be a good early test for both teams.

Its early but every year analysts predict big things for the Phillies but they always crap the bed. And Ryan Howard has not looked like himself.

poor phillies, it seems they always melt down in the final weeks of the season, and blow the wild card...i thought they had it in the bag last season.

wheres the socal love for the angels?

all the rookies that we had last year got the first season jitterbugs out of them and they are going to dominate the west. texas, seattle, and oakland have very little chance of catching up to this team.