Baseball Talk

kiya

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

?controllerName=image&action=get&id=1012163&width=628&height=471

phillies game last night was ABSURD. seriously, nineteen innings, six hours of some raw competition on the mound. and wilson valdez pulled out the win for the phils just past midnight. my little brother was at the game, can't wait to hear about how fucking nuts it must have been when the thing ended

I went to the game, but had to to leave in the 15th to get home for work today. I watched the rest of the game as soon as I got home though. I wish I would've stayed now, but I had no clue how long the game would last, with Baez and Red's reliever both pitching so well.

• 3 weeks later...

the last i heard mlb was thinking of adding another wild card in the playoffs.

now it's realignment so that there are 15 teams in each league and NO DIVISIONS. top 5 teams make the playoffs. what the hell?

this would force a hell of a lot more interleague play during the season.

plus, nearing the end of the season the drama is contained to two teams vying for 5th place instead of six divisional races.

That'd be kinda interesting. Never heard about that tho. Last thing I remember was them talking throwing Houston into the AL.

Edit: How would that force more interleague play tho? There would still be the two leagues, right? Just the absence of divisions?

if baseball still intends to keep the same schedule with 5 games a week, and with an odd number of teams per league, you'd need an interleague matchup once a week

considering the frequency of interleague play, don't you have to revisit the dh issue?

two even number leagues means that there would always be an odd team out without interleague. I figure houston is gonna end up like the cardinals of the nfl, being in one division but frequently playing teams of their former division

• 4 weeks later...

In regards to realignment--I feel they should just stay where they are unless they want to add two new AL teams, which I feel is a bad idea.

Notice how we have journeyman guys sticking around these days. We have since the four teams were added in the 1990s. LOOGY pitchers with 5+ ERAs and .190-hitting utility infielders can now find jobs thanks to a watering down of talent.

You could contract, but who would that eliminate? Mets and Dodgers would be obvious because of their financial situations, but I wouldn't go cutting anyone right now.

Speaking of baseball, lots of news lately--Jeter's 3000th, the sad story of the fan in Texas, the all star game "snubs" (although Andrew McCutchen is now on the team), Pujols coming off the DL so soon...should be an interesting second half, especially in the NL Central (four team race for the pennant and it actually includes the Pirates).

Dream Derby: All-Stars vs. BP legends

Monday, 8 p.m. ET

Chase Field (Phoenix, Ariz.)

ESPN HD/ESPN3.com/ESPN Radio

ESPN Deportes/ESPN 3D/ESPN Mobile TV

the contestants are..

José Bautista of the Blue Jays

Robinson Canó of the Yankees

Prince Fielder of the Brewers

Adrian Gonzalez of the Red Sox

Matt Holliday of the Cardinals

Matt Kemp of the Dodgers

David Ortiz of the Red Sox

Rickie Weeks of the Brewers

Ortiz won last year

but i'm predicting Adrian Gonzalez to win the HR Derby tonight.

What are your predictions ?

all star game deciding the ws homefield advantage is sooooooooo stupid. 30 guys a pop in each league on teams that won't make the post season deciding what teams work 162 games to decide. real smart Bud

I'm not complaining, looking forward to the Giants having home field advantage again the world series.

Before the current setup, home field advantage wasn't decided on the field. It alternated between the NL and the AL.

I always felt the team with with the best record earned home field advantage but MLB has never done it that way.

Guest Methimphibian

Current set up is good, it's never been about whether or not those teams make the playoffs, it's about which is the better league.

the game was pretty good overall, too bad CC couldn't pitch but oh well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...