Baseball Talk

kiya

This video is awesome

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUhSYLRw14&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUhSYLRw14&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

• 4 months later...

Went to the Angels Twins game tonight. It was Hideki Matsui snuggie night so in the 5th inning they had everyone put them on. It was rad, we set the record which went from 17,000 (at the cleveland cavs game a while back) to I think 30,000.

Also, Joe Mauer is too good.

i'm still furious the yankees didn't resign matzilla, he was so fuckin clutch last year AND then he hit the stitches off the ball in game 6. i don't like this shit at all, fuck randy winn too

Fuck, went to the game tonight and we couldn't get a hit for shit.

Thank God for Matsui tho, he's the only one that's really brought his bat this early in the season. I didn't think he'd be that great initially, but I love him already.

Dfaus, how much you want for that Snuggie? (0) I meant to take down my tix from StubHub, but some dude got to them before I could.

i'm still furious the yankees didn't resign matzilla, he was so fuckin clutch last year AND then he hit the stitches off the ball in game 6. i don't like this shit at all, fuck randy winn too

I'm pissed about this too. And I'm skeptical of Nick Johnson, he can get on base but he doesn't have a hit. Curtis is bringing it though.

His .300 career average against Papelbon is a nice bonus (as opposed to the .198 average of the rest of the league), only player in the MLB that has 2 homers against him too. And the Yanks have taken 2 games against Boston, which they couldn't do until 105 games into the season last year.

He's gotta learn how to hit against lefties though, then we're in business.

^ nice. im a fantasy noob, first season, yahoo rotisserie. any thoughts on how i could improve my lineup? we had an auction draft but i missed it...

C Jorge Posada (NYY - C)

1B Joey Votto (Cin - 1B)

2B Robinson Canó (NYY - 2B)

3B Chipper Jones (Atl - 3B)

SS Derek Jeter (NYY - SS)

LF Adam Dunn (Was - 1B,LF,RF)

CF Adam Jones (Bal - CF)

RF Bobby Abreu (LAA - LF,RF)

OF Adam Lind (Tor - LF)

OF Andrew McCutchen (Pit - CF)

OF Shin-Soo Choo (Cle - LF,RF)

Util Dan Uggla (Fla - 2B)

BN Casey McGehee (Mil - 2B,3B)

BN Billy Butler (KC - 1B)

BN Russell Martin (LAD - C)

BN Denard Span (Min - LF,CF,RF)

SP Jon Lester (Bos - SP)

SP Adam Wainwright (StL - SP)

RP Chad Qualls (Ari - RP)

RP Leo Núñez (Fla - RP)

P Jorge De La Rosa (Col - SP)

P A.J. Burnett (NYY - SP)

P Hiroki Kuroda (LAD - SP)

BN J.A. Happ (Phi - SP,RP)

currently third place out of 8... thinking i could use a more HR/RBI production.

I guess it depends on what stats you're league tracks, and where you currently reside. I'm not a big fan of making big moves early, but that's just me.

east coast resident.. why does this affect thing? what's your take on pavano? he's off to a stelar start but i'm wary to pick up another mediocre pitcher considering my rotation already...

here's what my league's scoring:

Batters Stat Categories: Runs ®, Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS), Net Stolen Bases (NSB)

Pitchers Stat Categories: Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Strikeouts per Walk Ratio (K/BB), Winning Percentage (WIN%), Net Saves (NSV)

we'll see if i can keep up this enthusiasm through the whole season.. ha

you have a pretty good team....i'm guessing its a small league? like 8 people? and what are net saves? arent all saves net saves since you arent including blown saves?

you need a pretty good back up third baseman, I'm pretty sure Chipper is hurt already no? I like mcgeehee (sp?) Mil. 3rd baseman if hes available. maybe another steals guy, mccuthen seems to be your only base stealer....

starting pitching looks good

and u may need more saves depending on what net saves is

other than that team looks pretty solid

thanks, and yeah, it's a 9 man league. i think net saves means that if you have a blown save it subtracts 1 from your overall starting lineup for the day. same with net steals, each caught stealing is a minus 1.

from what i remember when i last checked, tejada, martin prado (braves?) and mcgehee are available and could replace chipper as my 3rd baseman for now... thinking of dropping coghlan, he's been awful so far :(

east coast resident.. why does this affect thing? what's your take on pavano? he's off to a stelar start but i'm wary to pick up another mediocre pitcher considering my rotation already...

here's what my league's scoring:

Batters Stat Categories: Runs ®, Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS), Net Stolen Bases (NSB)

Pitchers Stat Categories: Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Strikeouts per Walk Ratio (K/BB), Winning Percentage (WIN%), Net Saves (NSV)

we'll see if i can keep up this enthusiasm through the whole season.. ha

Sorry if I was cryptic - I meant where you rank in the league in each stat. In a twelve person league, my friend says you have a good shot at winning if you are around 4th place in each statistic. Normally I would be skeptical, but Tim always wins (Tim Dierkes, mlb trade rumor site owner) whatever leagues he's in, except his own, but he never finishes badly, so take it for what it's worth.

got ya

your OF is solid so i see no problem dropping coglan unless its a keeper league. look for someone who steals, i think dejesus (KC of) or conor jackson if those guys are available

and i would pick up either mcgeehee (more upside) or tejeda as a back up for chipper

Pavano is easily the Twins best starter. He had a couple seasons to really get back on track after his surgery and he's improved every year since. I think he'll be one of the AL's better pitchers, especially with the Twins being quite formidable this year. I'd take him over Kuroda.

dunkin, thanks for the tip on mcgehee, he had a good game last night. i think i'll start him while he's hot over chipper for the mean time. on a bad note, chad qualls blew his second straight game. should i drop him for ryan franklin (cards)? i've got leo nunez (marlins) as my other closer currently. both qualls and nunez are so-so and i figure franklin will get more saves being on the cards. not sure why he's still available tho...

looking to upgrade my pitching... not sure what my friend will want for matt cain or josh beckett.... i would let go of chipper and billy butler together for one of those pitchers.

6 starters and 2 closers

you're gonna go through your max innings really quick...