a find????

Ocean

i recently bought a pair of levi 501 jeans at a local thriftshop. they seem to be vintage? after going over them with a fine tooth comb and compairing them to the ebay ones.... but what i'd like to ask is.. did they ever make the old vintage 501's with-out any stitching on the back pockets? there seems to be none on the ones i found, just plain pockets..also they have no red lines, and a number on the back side of the inside front cloth pockets.. can anyone give me any information?

thanks!

do they have a selvage at all? or is the outside seam overlocked(sewn) when you cuff the jeans

i believe during WW2 they had to paint on the arcuate (pocket stitching) so they wouldnt waste thread. the paint was made to come off with water im pretty sure

what is the waistband patch made of?

Edited by XX on May 26, 2005 at 11:54 PM

hey XX thanks for responding. yes they do have selvage. and they do not have the waistband patch, but it shows a spot where it was cause of the stitching... that probably is the reason the thriftshop may have thought it was a re-make. do you think the ones with-out the stitching on the back pockets are rare? also they are very light weight.

no number on the back of the buttons.. yes there are hidden rivets. no numbers tho. and the numbers that are on the inside of the front pocket clothes reads....226X41 the numbers look old style, kinda like military numbers.. and yes the pants look old, but not worn out.

I have a pair of big e's that have no back stitch also( Button number is 2 and lEvis is on both side of the tag. I think the are from 1966). Sometimes when people donate clothing they pull off any tags that will tell people what the item is, stores do this also when they get rid of damages. This my be the case with yours or the previous owner my have just washed them to death.

Styled1

Mmm, double-sided tab means they're post 1953; concealed rivets means they're pre 1967. I suspect they did have a red line but it's washed out. Is it possible the back pocket arcuate has simply worn off? Can you see any traces of it at the edge? Either way, sounds like a good find.

i can't see any traces of back pocket arcuate.. but i'm getting confused. "the rivets".. are those the copper things on the pants? they are exposed on the inside of the back pockets. sorry but i don't know much about these things.. thanks for all the help