Exploitation Films / Banned Films, etc.

englandmj7

Driller Killer, Cannibal Ferox, Cannibal Holocaust.............the list goes on and on.

I have never seen any of these movies, but was reading an article on Tarantino's 'Grindhouse' which referenced the genre and decided to research the subject a little.

Anyone seen any of the films referenced here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_nasty

Or any of these?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/features/special/2007/grindhouse/?spotlight=1

Particularly the widely 'banned' films. What did you think of them? Are any of them actually 'good' films, or are they 100% shock value?

Discuss

:D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jmatsu

i have seen a bunch, but i really liked:

infrerno (or most dario argento shit)

blood feast (awesome! ultra gorey and ultra funny)

shogun assasin a.k.a. lone wolf and cub (watch the entire series, although the ending leaves you hanging. in the same vein watch sonny chiba in the street fighter films...but you prob knew that).

contamination fucking sucked.

england may i suggest no shame films (i can't remember the adress, just google it)? very good giallo films and italian avantegarde crap.

i have seen a bunch, but i really liked:

infrerno (or most dario argento shit)

blood feast (awesome! ultra gorey and ultra funny)

shogun assasin a.k.a. lone wolf and cub (watch the entire series, although the ending leaves you hanging. in the same vein watch sonny chiba in the street fighter films...but you prob knew that).

contamination fucking sucked.

england may i suggest no shame films (i can't remember the adress, just google it)? very good giallo films and italian avantegarde crap.

I just checked it out. Tons of films......wouldn't know where to start :o

I've heard of Lone Wolf before; I think I'd like that. I guess I really want to check out Cannibal Holocaust just for the hell of it.

I have "Men Behind The Sun" about Japanese terror camps during WW2; heard it's supposed to be pretty absurd and notorious as well; haven't watched it yet though.

Guest jmatsu
I just checked it out. Tons of films......wouldn't know where to start :o

I've heard of Lone Wolf before; I think I'd like that. I guess I really want to check out Cannibal Holocaust just for the hell of it.

I have "Men Behind The Sun" about Japanese terror camps during WW2; heard it's supposed to be pretty absurd and notorious as well; haven't watched it yet though.

noshame films- i def reccommend death walks in high heels. very good. very stylish.

cannibal holocaust/ferox while semi entertaining is just gore galore. not stylized enough for my tastes. the italians in the 70-early 80's realy pushed the limits of violence and gore.

i wanted to watch "men behind the sun," but always hesitated because of personal reasons. i wonder if it was more of an anti-japanese propoganda film, or how authentic it was in terms of factual events.

exploitation, gore, and classic grindhouse cinema is my favorite genre of film;

i've pretty much seen most if not all of the stuff that has been brought up and/or

linked to.

my personal favorite, though, in terms of any banned film, is Salo, O Le 120 Giornate Di Sodoma, Pier Paolo Pasolini's masterful retelling of De Sade's The 120 Days of Sodom. Definitely my favorite movie of all time. Track it down.

noshame films- i def reccommend death walks in high heels. very good. very stylish.

cannibal holocaust/ferox while semi entertaining is just gore galore. not stylized enough for my tastes. the italians in the 70-early 80's realy pushed the limits of violence and gore.

i wanted to watch "men behind the sun," but always hesitated because of personal reasons. i wonder if it was more of an anti-japanese propoganda film, or how authentic it was in terms of factual events.

Interesting perspective on "Men Behind The Sun".

Wonder if Greencine has any of the Noshame films.

hah! great thread. most of this pales in comparison to japanese pink films, like this "angel guts" box set----i have to store it behind my other DVDs so that visitors don't start asking questions.

Yeah; there are some crazy Japanese films, particularly these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea_Pig_(film_series)

I downloaded one once, but then deleted it because I could find no reason why I should watch something like that.

these films are just just real really gory but good, its like the hills have eyes on steroids max

i remember watching this one mexican thriller that was banned in the us that i got at the swap meet, i went through the whole week dazed after watching it

I remembered you mentioning films of this genre before OMC. Where do you manage to locate most of them? Download em'?

On a side note, a nice mainstream, yet graphic/absurd movie that is readily available and is one of my favorites is 'Caligula.' Not even half as wild as most of these films, but a good segway nonetheless.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080491/

Guest jmatsu
I remembered you mentioning films of this genre before OMC. Where do you manage to locate most of them? Download em'?

On a side note, a nice mainstream, yet graphic/absurd movie that is readily available and is one of my favorites is 'Caligula.' Not even half as wild as most of these films, but a good segway nonetheless.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080491/

onemancult, good call on salo (120days! is this were the band got the name from??)!

england, i liked caligula. not just for the sex/gore, but the storyline was pretty good as well. did you see the uncut or the r-rated version??

Guest jmatsu
I have the uncut version. I like it for the story too........Malcolm McDowell is friggin' awesome.

not to drag it on, but i love the way that romans dance in that movie.

i get most of my films via download, but also, here in NYC there's a great film store by the name of Mondo Kim's which has a fairly well-stocked collection of rare, banned, B-grade, and otherwise non-mainstream DVDs. Many of them are actually bootlegs produced in small quantities by random folks looking to keep the film 'in print', so to speak. Definitely a labor of love for gorehounds out there. Kim's also does special orders for the films that they don't have in stock- a quick Google search to find out who distributes what and chances are that they can track it down.

Caligula was probably the first over-the-top, there-goes-my-brain sort of film I'd ever seen... I know I saw it when I was way too young to be sitting through such a movie, and that's pretty much what got me started. And, by started, I mean fucked me up for life.

I should probably blame the movie for my insatiable appetite for tits.

Mondo Kim's? Ha hah. Fitting name I suppose; sounds crazy. Do you have to be over 18 to go in?

Yeah, Caligula mixed eroticism & violence in a way that made the whole film the epitome of 'sexy' to me............in a deranged way, of course.

^ kim also opened up a new video store here in jersey city (newport area) about a year ago. I have been renting movies there almost everyday. It''s nice to have a membership.

edit: no, you dont have to be 18. The one in jersey city is kids friendly. They have tons of dvd for kids/family movies.

Some of these Japanese exploitation/fetish films, while similar to certain German films, take it even further with the obsessive details and fanatacism.

In a similar visual vein, the Weimar artists George Grosz, Otto Dix all depicted what the Germans called Lustmord, Lust murder, which was a cultural fascination with the Weimar intellectual elite.

lustmord.bmp

lustmord2.bmp

There is also Pierre Molinier who made self-portraits of himself in his '60s while dressed in woman's bondage costumes and things stuck up his rectum. He subsequently killed himself.

enchaine.jpg

Hans Bellmer who made eccentric dolls and put them in various photographic poses:

BELLMER_La_Poupee.jpg

BellPou5.jpg

exploitation, gore, and classic grindhouse cinema is my favorite genre of film;

i've pretty much seen most if not all of the stuff that has been brought up and/or

linked to.

my personal favorite, though, in terms of any banned film, is Salo, O Le 120 Giornate Di Sodoma, Pier Paolo Pasolini's masterful retelling of De Sade's The 120 Days of Sodom. Definitely my favorite movie of all time. Track it down.

According to their blog, Criterion DVD is re-releasing Salo sometime this year. I'm definitely picking up a copy when it drops. I haven't checked recently, but Salo used to go for crazy prices on eBay when it went out-of-print.