Wrangler 13MWZ vs. the Other Ol' Favorites...

I was wondering what the consensus was on the Wrangler 'original' jean (13MWZ) vs. the likes of Levi's and some of the other 'cool' jeans we wear? I realize that the cowboy crowd (most especially the rodeo community) has officially adopted the model, but at the same time it still seems a viable style when you consider it has actually undergone less changes and revisions than the 501 has since 1947, when the 13MWZ was introduced.

The rivets on the back pockets (I wish Levi's 501s were still offered that way without going the LVC route!) are a nice vintage throwback, and it's nice to have that very visible (and durable as well) lap-felled outer seam proudly showing. They are a very traditional and all- American blue jean (after all, what is more American THAN blue jeans?) and while the cut indeed differs from the 501, it really isn't that odd when not sized too tightly.

Anyway, I was just wondering why we don't see or hear more about the 13MWZ with its subtly unique qualities, in spite of that dubiously uncool cowboy connection?

Jim

Hey, this is one minimal post!

I saw the 11MW, I think, the button fly version... I would be interested to try some on and see how much of a bootcut they are. But the one item from the new collection I think really rocks is the western shirt, I think it's called the 27MW - it's like Leiv's sawtooth shirt, but looks a bit sleeker. There are great William Claxton shots of Steve McQueen wearing it.

But then, there was the time I was walking down the street in Leiv's Red and a sawtooth shirt, and a drunk woman came up to me and said "hello cowboy'. Not sure I could go thru that again...

Sorry folks - for some reason my message was TOTALLY deleted!

My question was what is everyone's consenous on the Wrangler 'Cowboy' (13MWZ) jeans, compared with other 'cool' staples such as Levi's and the like? I realize the 13MWZ has been officially adopted by the Rodeo Association, as well by most modern cowboys in general; but aside from that it still seems like a rather viable, authentic denim style that you simply never hear much about.

Given the notion it probably has undergone less change than the 501 model (since 1947 when the 13MWZ was introduced) and the interesting fact that is has retained the back-pocket rivets and features the durable lap-felled outer seams; which both details in my opinion are VERY vintage and cool - (BTW, I wish the Levi's 501 model was still offered that way without going the more expensive LVC route).

I've just wondered why it simply isn't considered more cool than it is - if you size them correctly (not too tight) they don't come off too 'western' to me, and they are right up there with the traditional American jean. And what is more authentically American than blue jeans?!

Anyway, I'd just like to hear some other opinions on the subject, and get a more global take on these particular jeans...

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Cissell

What's the standard production one like? (You can only get the Blue Bell reissues in the UK AFAIK).

Last time I looked, some of the Wrangler cowboy jeans were in a cotton/polyester denim! Is the stnadard one still a slight boot-cut?

You might know this already, but in Europe they're producing vintage style 11MW and 13MWZ jeans under the Blue Bell Collection brand (you can see them on the website) - made in Poland, I think, with Turkish denim - the quality looks good, nice vintage-style detailing but I don't know what the shape is like. In Europe the jeans aren't too hip, but the jackets are - they're the quintessential Mod denim jacket.

I do agree that they're kinda under-rated jeans, tho I've never tried a pair on. I think VF corporation, who've owned Lee & Wrangler for years, used Wrangler as a cash cow & never tried to expand their market (whereas the Lee division, particularly in Europe, did a much better job). But lately the European design end have introduced some hipper stuff.

Actually they still offer the 'hard' unwashed denim (Sanforized) model and the slightly one-wash version - all 100% cotton and very much like the old days. You can get them cheap at 'Tractor Supply', among other places, and they are the still the heavy 14.75 to 15oz denim, depending on their finish.

I did see earlier that Wrangler Europe offers the original-original '11' model, but the '13' really isn't far off, except for the zipper. It truly hasn't hardly changed.

Well made, and worth another look-see, my friends.

Jim

Jim Cissell