YMC YouMustCreate from London

shwanger

YMC was one of the wave of brands (along w/ 6876, Burro, Griffin, Joe Casely-Hayford, Vexed Generation etc.) to emerge alongside, although not necessarily a part of, the cool Britannia (remember that?) moment in the mid late 90s. All making some variation of minimal, modern, urban and military inspired classics. (An uncredited major inspiration for late 90s Prada.)

Like some of the other brands, they seem to have lost their way in 02 or so as that moment died. For a season or two I think they weren't 'creating,' and then they had a couple of bizarre collections, one of which was based entirely on Marvel comic characters. Lots of superheroes on chunky sweaters and shoes - seemingly gauged towards the Urban Outfitters set. Really hideous. They then seemed to have a bit of a hippie phase in 04/05, and now for the last collection or two it's been late 50s / early 60s inspired. Long story short - they don't seem to have a lot of direction / aesthetic sense these days, but at least their collections are getting better.

I would say quality is ok - perhaps around APC or a notch lower - knits and pants are better than shirts and jackets in my experience.

They recently got bought out by French Connection, which is why they're suddenly much more available.

^^ That's a pretty informative post. I was wondering what happened to them. For a while their stuff wasn't available at all in the states, and now it's suddenly a lot easier to find.

I agree with the previous poster: their first few seasons were really interesting with inventive designs and decent prices. The quality on the newer stuff is so-so, but the designs don't do much for me.

Plus their older stuff was mostly UK made. Their new stuff is all made in China.

I have a few of their older pieces - knitwear from their first season, plus a few more recent one (recent being up until 2002). Good quirky modern british design. Didn't know about the FC takeover.

At one point they had a shop just off Regents St, but it didn't last long.

I got a pair of the YMC "Stucco Print" strap/slip ons, really comfortable, clean, and easy to wear with almomst anything...i havent seen the brand out in the states

though, anyone know if they plan to bring it here?

Depends where you are. I know American Rag has got most of it. I could be hallucinating, but I think barney's or co-op also carries it. If you're in or near a big city, you should be able to track it down.

skinnish... gotta love them cherry red work boots!

The clothes look pretty cool, I like the look theyre going for too, I think it would work with my body shape, which is always a plus... and, if theyre cheapish, thats a plus too!

Spot on, on the deescription/bio. Must say I found some of their quirky bags and belts appealing but the quality always turned me off. Was always available in Japan and now can be bought online via Shop 33 & Zozo.jp.