Sincerest form of flattery

Paul T

Wandering around Selfridges, as you do, I noticed the new Armani range (not racks I normally check out).

It features an almost literal knock-off the the Levi's RED range that gave birth to Type 1 - down to the big rivets, low rise front, inky-blue denim, and even the mulitcoloured stitching. It's even more blatant than the True Religion and Miss Sixty knockoffs.

Who the hell is buying these? People who thought the Levi's ones weren't expensive enough?

Well, as has been pointed out, authenticity is a much-abused term. But, duh, I thought fashion was about the shock of the new, not the shock of the three-years-old...

I'm by no means a Levi's die-hard, but I did feel a bit sorry for them the day a marketing manager told me about the time someone told him he should check out the new Miss Sixty range, it was really cool (by implication, cooler than anything Levi's were doing). And it was the Miss Sixty Type 1 retread...,

i hear you paul. it's sad - it's fashion. the selfridges in nyc is probably coop barneys: here you have all the funky jeans. the coolest of the cool. the it. if you have it you're so on trend!!!

so cynical...

for me authenticity is finding soul and keeping soul in the midst of mass consumption, mass media, mass egos, mass mess. as my other post stated - how authentic can you be nowadays?

But, duh, I thought fashion was about the shock of the new, not the shock of the three-years-old...

what i learned is that you shld not throw your clothes away b/c it's out of "trend" - it will be again in 3 yrs.;p

yeah i remember when i bought the 1st levis red raw...