Thanks for the help but...

aren't you all embarassed to be posting on this site? I can't help but cringe when I read thread titles like "dealing with people who don't know what dry denim is." (Oh, those primitives). Who the hell cares whether or not all of your faceless message board cronies cuff their jeans? I too appreciate good style and the subtleties involved, but some of this stuff is giving me second thoughts about where Man sits on the food chain.

I am, myself, horribly picky with the way jeans / pants 'fall' on my shoes. This can mean cuffing or simply readjusting for 10 minutes before leaving home.

I don't see your problem. If you dislike the way we are talking about stuff that can seem to some people irrelevant, maybe this site isn't for you. Good style is many things and with 8 posts and saying that all of us on SF are embarassed to be posting here is not good style.

I'm not even sure what your point with the last sentence is, or the point in general.

Denim Fanatismé.

The Arc - Hitting the selvage from August 1st 2005.

PASHION - The pasion for fashion. Denmark - soon.

Wish'a'knew.

Templar... Dude, it's just a silly fashion feedback forum. Nobody here is trying to solve starvation in third world countries through superfuture. 90% of the threads are lame so find your 10% or bounce.

It's global & that makes it at times interesting but no, it's not Adrianna Huffingtons blog spot!

So Templar, who do you think makes the best shoestrings?

-Dub

I think threads like THIS are lame.

There are lots of people here who can help out with practical stuff, and that can be very helpful. if you're a newbie to this kind of thing, Supertalk can be a good way to learn stuff. where else would you learn it?

The thing is if you don't like what's going on: leave. If you know everything there is to know about denim, and learned it all by yourself: bravo, good for you.

Quote:

aren't you all embarassed to be posting on this site? I can't help but cringe when I read thread titles like "dealing with people who don't know what dry denim is." (Oh, those primitives). Who the hell cares whether or not all of your faceless message board cronies cuff their jeans? I too appreciate good style and the subtleties involved, but some of this stuff is giving me second thoughts about where Man sits on the food chain.

--- Original message by AmericanTemplar on May 25, 2005 11:31 PM

not any more embarrassing than posting on, say, "skinheads.net" (thank god for POS)

but you did learn something about fake Levis right? so it wasnt all a waste

Quite a few of the threads on here make me cringe, but an easy solution is not to read them. Like themdouble said upthread, the purpose of these boards is not to solve world hunger or devise a solution to global injustice...just to shoot the shit with people who have a shared interest in a fairly marginal area. The fact that there are some knowledgeable and articulate people posting here (compared to most of the other boards that I’ve seen that discuss obscure street wear and sneakers) is a plus, but it doesn't oblige them to go off topic with weighty issues. There are plenty of places on the web for that.

Quote:

--- Original message by AmericanTemplar on May 25, 2005 11:31 PM

Just come to Superfuture and take what you want from it, and leave the rest alone. For me, SF is like 50% informative and 50% entertainment, but it all relates to me b/c I'm interested in fashion/style. If something doesn't interest you, don't subscribe to it. Even though we're all self-proclaimed uber-fashionistas, everyone still has their own fashion related problems/opinions (some you may deem to be 'lame' or 'stupid'), but that's what makes SF so fucking gangster! In the end, we are just talking about CLOTHES, don't take it so seriously.

I'm so self-conscious...

"there's certainly only so much that one can talk about jeans"

What, GiantR, are you retarded? There is unlimited amounts of talk to be... talked, well, this forum is primarily for all the newbie stuff. The few here who knows a lot on denim are forced to answer questions which they know the answer to the second they sees the Q and probably answered it 10 times before. The only really serious discussions can be counted in less than 5.

Denim Fanatismé. The Arc, 2005. Lee151Z Clear Pocket - Wish'a'knew.

sheesh, skecr8r. picking on me again. 'i don't want to get off on a rant here but..." you are missing the whole point of templar's (and mine) post. there is such an enormous realm of style and fashion to be discussed, yet many continue to fixate on such trivial aspects on an already marginal subject matter. i fear that this forum has become a place for a very small group of, new york city centric, fashion victims to discuss for the 50th time about vintage denim (which is SOOO 1980's Japan), or some thinly veiled marketing skam of a vintage nike colorway. there seems to be a lack of personal style, and lack of representation that comes through as a whole. the 'cool' women in general (or men if you prefer) don't care if your denim is selvedge. they notice style. and when they ask what your interests are, they'll move on if they hear your hobby is "selvedge denim". no hard feelings, but hey you started it.

" fashion victims to discuss for the 50th time about vintage denim (which is SOOO 1980's Japan), "...

I don't think this is a fashion thing - it's a purists' thing, which is different. You could even say that the whole obsession with selvage, ring-ring, or cool-looking jeans (which I share) is anti-fashion - it's about getting hold of something inherently simple, which is just 'made right'. Some people like APC jeans cos they're 'cool' and will impress others; some people like them cos they just 'feel right'; for themselves.

I don't think it's crucial for anyone to know loads about denim. But it;s such a ubiquitous fabric, with such resonance, that knowing about it does increase your enjoyment in tracking it down, wearing it, watching it fade. It's like watching a movie - you can spot all the historical references, the way the script is structured, thje camerawork - or you can simply enjoy the movie. But if you do understnad more about how the movie came about, the camerwork bla bla bla, it will actually increase your enjoyment when you see a brilliant movie, cos you can appreciate it on so many different levels. It's not obllgatory, though.

Ultimately, it's not important. But if you're gonna wear jeans anyway, so you look for ones you feel are 'right', it's not harmful, either.

You are both looking for a level of sophistication that doesn't really exist on superfuture.

Where this is one of the nets better stops for a very few (specific) things, it is still not at either of you alls standards.

In the recent light of me figuring out that its members are mostly high school aged (which made perfect sense), I'd say superfuture has "tipped" in '05

The whole is the sum of its parts fellas...

I think skecr8r's point is that denim is (at times) one of those things & Geowu wishes we could all spread our wings a bit?

Gotta go into superprivate to get away from the entertainment factor most threads tend to find their way to. Which also has its place...

-Dub

Quote:

well.. maybe sites like this are useful for people who bid on expensive stuff on eBay without knowing what it is? Judging by your logic, perhaps it's better to remain in ignorance and get ripped off.

--- Original message by Paul T on May 26, 2005 07:42 AM

I didn't say that this site isn't useful. If it weren't useful, I never would have come here and made use of it. I don't exactly see how my logic supports being ignorant and getting ripped off. I was simply stating that a lot of the stuff posted on here is embarrasing. I already pointed out two examples, but there are a lot more. I'm not about to chime in on any of those threads, so for those of you who said "if you're not interested move on," you're probably right. That's normally what I would have done, but I had a little booze in my system when I started this thread, which gave me loose lips (well, in this case fingers). Personally, I'm for being smart and dressing accordingly, rather than being a well-dressed manakin. Next time I'll just steer clear of threads with titles like "do you have bed-head or a mod haircut."

I mean I get it... there are certainly times when I check a thread & then think to myself "Oh God, I'm a part of a discussion board that these kooks are also involved in"... Makes you think about the company you're in.

I'm just saying, grin & bear it & find threads that interest you.

I get the "embarrasing" thing though... C'mon Geowu, you must as well?

-Dub

Hm, I actually thought there followed a ';)' after the "retarded" sentence Sorry for that, made me sound a lot more harsh than intended.

'i don't want to get off on a rant here but..." - What the hell does rant mean ? :-)

There is a trend I've noticed on every board I've been on, and that is critical mass. The exact amount of people that moves the forum from being cozy and small to a larger audience, loosings it s exclusivity in the progress.

It's sorta like a restaurant with 16 tables expanding with another 8, and loosing its atmosphere.

But hey, things change, and its the way that we adapt that tells the most. SuperTalk will evolve into being more casually mainstream. Look at me, for example, I'm not into wearing Bape, Supreme, any of those brands at all. I just simply enjoy good denim, this is the reason I came here in the first place, the "What is selvage?" thread.

This is why I personally like reading about denim topics, but don't give a damn about sneakers or the latest hoody with a red box on it. I read that because I like to follow all sorts of styles, but god also gave me the ability to choose, to choose whether I like to read about sneakers when I ain't interested or not read about sneakers. It is that simple.

What I'm trying to say is that every board will degenerate over time. What always carries a board is a group of members who have upper level on most things and therefore can maintain some niveau in the topics. I'm sorry that we can't all discuss the things we wanted, but the public opinion runs even the smallest public office in the long run. We can either make the best of things that has come or we can leave and wait until the next fashion forum pops up where we can happily stay for two years and then move on. I still think SuperFuture is a good place to learn from and meet people with both interests and knowledge willing to share both.

Lets make the best of it and thank god we can choose what we like to read.

Denim Fanatismé. The Arc, 2005. Lee151Z Clear Pocket - Wish'a'knew.