A question for the Levi's experts.

They're pretty good copies though... touches like the stock control strips on the leather-like patch are pretty convincing, even if the assemblage of details, like selvage watch pockets (which are incorrectly sewn here) are wrong... wonder what the denim, and pocket shape etc, looks like in the flesh?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

They're pretty good copies though... touches like the stock control strips on the leather-like patch are pretty convincing, even if the assemblage of details, like selvage watch pockets (which are incorrectly sewn here) are wrong... wonder what the denim, and pocket shape etc, looks like in the flesh?

--- Original message by Paul T on Jul 16, 2005 07:00 AM

they are fakes from thialand. i have a few pairs that i picked up in honk kong. they say mad in u.s.a but they are fake. you can tell by the back of the rivits. also, if there is a pocket bag print i bet they have a spelling or gramatical error. they still break in well though.

sweet-orr

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7701417890&category=11483&rd=1

I hate to put these up here because I know if they are real I'll be outbid by one of you guys on them, but I figure I would anyway so I'll run a legit check by you experts. Now, I myself am no expert but I did not know that they ever had selvedge (half selvedge i guess) on the 517's. Anyway, fake or real? I guess I'm leaning real myself?

Quote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7701417890&category=11483&rd=1

I hate to put these up here because I know if they are real I'll be outbid by one of you guys on them, but I figure I would anyway so I'll run a legit check by you experts. Now, I myself am no expert but I did not know that they ever had selvedge (half selvedge i guess) on the 517's. Anyway, fake or real? I guess I'm leaning real myself?

--- Original message by firebad on Jul 18, 2005 04:20 PM

they are vintage and made between the 1970s to early 1980s, i cant tell everything from photos provided. they have talon 42 zipper and navy bartacks at rear pockets-which is good. these look a like a later double stitch model from the picture, but its hard to tell. this would help date them better.(refers to rear pocket hem either being flat single needle stitched as apposed to being chainstitched-double needle)-looks like the bartacks are done over the top edge of the pocket after pocket was sewn down to the body, as apposed to bartacked from the underside before the pocket was sewn down-which is seen on later double stitch levi models. hard to tell from photos.

lot 0217 fabric is good as well. ( the 17 part of 0217 is coded for indigo) they stopped using talon zip and navy bartacks altogether in the mid 1980s- levis then switched to gold bartacks and "levis" zipper. 0217 fabric has good indigo color when it breaks in. i cant tell from the photo if there is selvedge on one side, it would be very unlikley-but anything is possible.

ive had half selvedge 517s before, but they were an early red tab big e model, and cut differantly. ive never seen a small e 517 with half selvedge before-but maybe.. 517s from the 70s and 1980s dont have straight outseams making it impossible to cut the leg completely on the selvedge edge. most likely there is no selvedge edge, the edge with a whiter side that looks like selvedge is probably the fabric edge overlocked with a differant amount of stitches per inch than the other side. this is very common on vintage levis.

i have a fully intact deadstock pair of single stitch 517 0217 with a number 2 on the top shank that i just looked at, the rear pocket batacks are done from the underside of pocket, they have the same talon 42 zip, and fabric 0217 lot number- the outseam serging is done in white at differant stitches per inch on each leg panel, and looks similar to the ones on ebay (sorry no digital camera here)- selvedge edge is possible but not likely. hope this helps.

Quote:

--- Original message by firebad on Jul 18, 2005 04:20 PM

they are vintage made between 1970s to the 1980s. i cant place a better date from the photos. they look like a later double stitch model (refering to the rear pocket hem- single stitch refers to a flat single needle stitch at the pocket opening and is earlier, double stitch refers to the hem being chainstitched and is later)

the bartacks look like they are done over the top of the pocket after it was sewn down as apposed to done from the underside fo the pocket before its sewn down. this is also a later style of bartack. this is usually on double stitch models.

the talon 42 zipper is also good, levis stopped using them in the mid 1980s and switched to "levis" zipper, around the same time they stopped using black or navy bartacks at the rear pockets and switched to gold. the lot 0217 fabric is also good. 17 is coded for indigo. this fabric breaks in nicely.

i dont think there is a half selvedge ,but anything is possible. 517s from the 70s-80s have hip curve, making it impossible to cut the leg panels on the selvedge edge. most likely the side that looks like selvedge in the photo is just overlocked with more stitches per inch than the other side giving an optical illusion. this is comon on vintage levis.

i have had one pair of half selvedge 517s, but they were a very early red tab big e 517 and were cut differant.

i just looked at a pair of deadstock single stitch 517 0217 that i have here. they have the pocket bartacks from the underside of the rear pocket and #2 on the top shank, but and the outseam is serged in white with differant stitches per inch on each panel like the one on ebay.

hope this helps.

sweet-orr

• 1 month later...

can one of the many knowledge-able persons here help me verify if these are real?

the listing is titled: "Vintage Red Line Big "E" LEVI 501's110yrs! W33 L38"

04_1_b.JPG

ab_1_b.JPG

e7_1_b.JPG

cf_1_b.JPG

on the back of the first button it reads 555 and there's a single red stitched line on the selvedge inseam

from one of the posts i've read ...555 indicates valencia repro?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

I was under the impression that 555 meant the SF factory, but i could be wrong.

• 4 years later...

anyone want to help me out with figuring out what these are?

dscf5768.jpg

top button looks almost exactly the same as the one on my 33 lvcs

dscf5769.jpg

90s style arcs with circle r on the tab

dscf5771.jpg

made in usa... strange wash instructions

dscf5772w.jpg

dscf5773.jpg

copper rivets, 90s style

dscf5776.jpg

redline selvage

dscf5777f.jpg