Tattoos

I've decided that I will never get an everlasting-jobstopper. I plan to do a full body suit, but I also plan to be able to completely cover it up with pants and a long sleeve shirt so I can walk into a meeting someday in the future and not freak a client out. I have friends in my field that have lost work because of their tattoos, and it's unfortunate. So although I will do a full body suit, I will never go below the wrists, or above the neckline. That shit is only cool if you're already a rockstar, or if you want to pump gas for the rest of your life. Even though I'm in business for myself, and never plan to have a boss, I still need to be hired by clients to do the work that I do.

I dont think theres a ton of differences in script personally... you're average artist is probably going to trace that shit out of a book//reference anyways, so unless youre looking for something REALLY ornate (along the lines of what JK5 does) then I wouldnt worry too much about it.

You just want some script like Astrowulf posted a few pages back right?

I obviously disagree with you about script. there is a HUGE difference between script and the people that do it. My arm was drawn on by hand and the rest just vibed out of what the dude is good at.

A lot of heads will just trace, hes right, but if you get someone goooood you will know the difference...

I looked around for someone that could make it what i wanted and not just another ass hat who could throw some non legit stuff out there... little details like the drop shadow, or how clean the lines are, or the mere fact he just kept building on what he drew on my arm separate the norm from something better.

EDIT- as well, there are about 5000000 different styles of script, so i would think you should find line weight you like, angles you like, all those little things. there are the letters with the hard angle styles, a lot of little differences... but as handsome said, a lot of fools will just trace, so find someone who cares about it and be happy you put in the work.

I obviously disagree with you about script. there is a HUGE difference between script and the people that do it. My arm was drawn on by hand and the rest just vibed out of what the dude is good at.

youre glancing over a keyword in my post: AVERAGE. who knows where the poster in question lives and where he might get tattooed...

you live in nyc, you can get killer tattoos for days, if this dude lives in the midwest and isnt willing to travel, hes probably just going to go to the best guy he can find near him... perhaps someone who can throw down some sick script, perhaps not.

what about tattoo conventions? there must be some in the midwest etc. I dont really know how it works at conventions but I know of people who got inked at by amazing artists from all over the world who also would have very long waiting lists in the studio. do you just go and queue up in the line for an artist or how does it work there??

what about tattoo conventions? there must be some in the midwest etc. I dont really know how it works at conventions but I know of people who got inked at by amazing artists from all over the world who also would have very long waiting lists in the studio. do you just go and queue up in the line for an artist or how does it work there??

dude just needs to post where he resides!

dude just needs to post where he resides!

Huh? I dont understand what you mean. Which dude?

I mean for example I see that there is a really good tattoo artist at a convention near me and I wanna go and get inked by him/her there,what do I do?

thats a little paradoxical if you ask me, but check out joseph/jk5: http://www.savedtattoo.com/

a bit elaborate for my tastes but dude has got script on lock.

What I mean I guess is I don't want loads of drawing around the text, but I don't want something that just looks like it was copied out of a book either, like this one:

http://infinitetattoos.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/texttat.jpg

(that's just the first result for "text tattoo" on google)

I want it to have some flair so I can also appreciate it from a distance. And I'm located in montreal btw, but going to nyc wouldn't be a problem at all.

What I mean I guess is I don't want loads of drawing around the text, but I don't want something that just looks like it was copied out of a book either, like this one:

I want it to have some flair so I can also appreciate it from a distance. And I'm located in montreal btw, but going to nyc wouldn't be a problem at all.

Im sure theres solid tattooers in Montreal. Sounds like you just need to talk this out with someone who can draw it for you.

I agree, its not so hard to find someone who will fit your needs, as a lot of script is pretty safe stuff, just dont go someplace where they are doing scorpians and other shite all day, and ask for something there, you will be AT BEST underwhelmed with what you end up getting.

And i actually live in Amsterdam now, i grew up in NYC, got my ink here, lots of good artists here, but its a while to travel, it has other perks though ;)

I would also think a convention would be HELL to get anything done. Too many gawkers looking at whats being done, and the artist will most likely not take as much time, as other people are waiting. Good for a quick hit, but if your looking for something more detailed i think it would not be the place to do it.

just my 2 cents...

Thanks for the input guys. I'm still going to wait a few months before I get it done, I got this rule where I don't get a tattoo unless I've wanted it for a year. I got everything else nailed since last winter, just can't decide on the script, but getting help from the artist sounds like the best way.

And speaking of job-stoppers, I've ran across this dude once or twice. Didn't know he was e-famous, eh

http://news.bme.com/2007/09/21/skull-facial-tattoo-update/

thats what i mean, to have to follow up could be a headache...

i would think a fun little outline piece just to collect is the best for a convention, but if you want a lot of work done there are other better ways, unless your hung up on getting something from that artist, who, if they are in town just for the convention, could be a REAL hassle to follow up with.

its all up to what you want i guess, personally speaking, i would never want a bunch of goons watching me get done up, and annoying and bothering the artist... thats my job!

ah cool. well I guess if its good artists they will be professional and put as much effort in it as in the studio also because the world is watching and journalists are around etc. cant imagine any tattooist wants to get a bad reputation at a public event. i wouldnt want people watching me cry and swear getting inked though hehe..

Im sure theres solid tattooers in Montreal. Sounds like you just need to talk this out with someone who can draw it for you.

Tattoo West on St Laurent in Montreal they did some work for my boy and fellow poster on Sufu Real City Jon

Here is some work they did for him:

100_0471.jpg?t=1242719949

100_0472.jpg?t=1242719975

iPhone pictures, but the tattoo is still amazing.

Currently looking for ideas for a West African half sleeve and chest peice, pretty excited.

Seriously considering a Scott Campbell session when i am home next week. Emailed them, doubt i will get anything with such short notice... we will see.

youd be suprised. a lot of those dudes have people cancel on them at the last minute so sometimes you can call the day before or the day of and find out they have a few hours open.